SlotForum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I hit the slotcave last night and decided it was high time I tried building the best Turbo I possibly could. Currently it will lap my road course in 4.7 seconds. My Lifelike switched over to Nascar mode laps it in 2.6 seconds and my current SG+ does a 3.0. So on a road course, the Turbo is hopelessly outgunned. But I will try a third and final axle combo to see if I can improve the time and then bring it along to test on the oval.

Realistically though, it is all about working on the SG+ chassis to get it to go faster than my Lifelike in a straightline. It is fun working on this stuff.

If anyone wants to come over and do some testing, let me know!

·
Registered
448 Posts
G-man there is only one way to get a turbo running sweet, you can try all axles gears wheels etc but it really, really, REALLY, comes down to blue tyres!!!!!!! Oh and straight lines only helps.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Ah but Mike, did you spend time finding the strongest magnet? And also work out why the Turbo is so grip limited and fiddly to get set up? I did! The answer is the the rear axle appears to sit higher up than the other chassis. So it won't run on 250 hubs and barely gets round on small tyres on 265s. It will be quite tricky to get it to sit lower than 458 which is stock but if you manage it without hampering performance, there should be a sweet spot.

Still won't make it win a WHO Nascar race though!!

Speaking of testing, I need more barriers round my track. My Lifelike had an argument with the Hi-fi last night and there is a big chunk of wheel arch/front wing missing from the white Porsche now.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have an absolute ton of the orange barriers if they are any use to you.
All I did with the turbo was find some round wheels- not just round but really round--then threw them away and used whatever was on the car as I cant be bothered trying to work out all the numbers !!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
No thanks! I have plenty of AFX barriers too.

Mike D made me some rather snazzy foam barriers that sit away from the track but also form round the corners. These are instead of the hard perspex type barriers we use at the club. They are excellent as the cars don't get damaged when they hit! Unfortunately I don't yet have enough barriers to protect every corner and while experimenting with top speed through a very fast S bend (some of the cars I have can do it flat), the Lifelike left the road and hit the Hi-fi!

I've asked Mike for some more foam to build some additional barriers and will also add some perspex bits on the straights for visibility.

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I still think a Turbo can do very well on an oval. It's going to be a lot about driving technique and getting the car through the corners - probably not too much brake, just braking early and letting it roll.

The best set-up will be to find a fast motor, straight axles with round wheels (always worth checking!) and a good gear mesh. The Turbo has a 22 tooth crown gear as stock, so high speeds are guaranteed

The rear tyre height is probably okay with the standard hubs and the AFX size Supertires (standard A compound), but that could be an area to experiment with.

Now my Super-G is beginning to slow down after nearly 4 years of racing, maybe I might look at a Turbo for 2014? I remember giving Mike's Turbo Nascar a run in May and I really liked it.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Andy the road course is still set up but you are welcome to come over and experiment with the Turbos. I think the rear tyre height would be best left standard so the key is round wheels as you say. Otherwise you are looking at custom height rears which could be expensive.

Anyway, the Turbo will go in the racebox and we'll see what it does. I am currently working on SG+ chassis. The one I used back in May is still my fastest one but is still a smidge slower than the Lifelike. But that could change on the oval.

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The plan is to run a tri-oval track for this race, with a bit of gentle banking in the corners.

Next season, we plan to mix up the tracks - probably with two big banked ovals, a tri oval plus a short oval or road course. The exact format will be down to the 2014 Nascar team

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
QUOTE (woodcote @ 22 Oct 2013, 07:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>2014 Nascar team

As one of the 2014 Nascar team, I am delighted to announce some of the new rules.

1. Stetsons are obligatory. Anyone not wearing a Stetson will not be allowed to race.
2. On the one minute mark of each race, the driver leading the race must emit a loud "Yee-haw".
3. Due to complaints from the owners of the Barn, we have had to ban the popular line dancing that has preceded each of this seasons Nascar rounds. I know that will be disappointing news to many of you.
4. Winning drivers must thank their sponsors and families when collecting medals and down a pint of milk.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
I think 4) is confused with Indycars, and 1-3 heavy on the ******* stereotype.

Funny as hell though, especially when you suspect one or two WHOers will actually 'comply' for the fun of it....

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
Seems to me that the 2014 NASCAR team has never actually been to the real thing so a few suggestions from someone who has:

1) Stetsons are only obligatory at rounds run in Texas - everywhere else you have to wear a baseball cap and tee-shirt emblazoned with the name and number of your favourite driver. You are at liberty to punch anybody supporting a different driver to yourself.

2) Before the start everybody has to stand, remove their hats and listen to the preacher thank the Almighty for Sunoco race fuel. Somebody then has to attempt to sing the national anthem. This is particularly difficult as the words bear no relation to the actual tune. Likewise the fireworks and flypast may be difficult to achieve.

3) Some local dignitary who you have never heard of will then be brought in to utter the "most famous words in motorsport."

4) Beer drinking on an industrial scale is compulsory - line dancing is impossible as everybody is usually too drunk.

5)Whenever somebody is leading by more than a few tenths then a spare part must be placed on the track and the yellow flags thrown for "debris on the back stretch." At this point all non racers must leave the room and buy a hotdog and more beer.

6) Last corner multi car wrecks are not compulsory but highly recommended.

7) Those involved in the last corner wreck must conduct a vigorous punch-up after the race.

8) The winner must spray Gatorade over the crowd before picking up his children and thanking his team, all sponsors individually and the "loyal fans" without whom nothing would be possible.

9) If the 18 car of Kyle Busch wins then everybody has to boo during the prize giving ceremony.

And Finally..... You know you are a ******* when you think the last line of the national anthem is "Gentlemen Start your Engines!"

·
Registered
448 Posts
Ok not completly conected but anyone up for an f1/indy car blast round the oval on test night? Could be interesting to see how some of those cars go,, you up for it G-Man and Bully boy Dadson?

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think the Nascar team needs to carefully consider those suggestions, although we do pretty well on 6, 7, 8 & 9

A few changes for Nascar in 2014 will include:

Step-up finals (if we have 25 racers or less) - so the winner of each final steps up to the next race. We'll try this out on the 6th, if we have time.

The addition to the approved chassis list of the new Micro Scalextric "US Stock Car"

and AFX Mega-G 1.7 Gen6 Nascars:

There are other changes for Nascar and the other classes which will be finalised before the race on the 6th - and I'll spend 5-10 minutes outlining them before we start the heats. Plus there'll be a brief annual report, 2014 calendar and summary of the 2014 changes on a separate thread soon.

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We had 21 on the grid tonight for the final round of the Nascar championship. We were missing our new Nascar Champion, Darren, due to a very early start in the morning. Gareth was also absent nursing the remains of man flu. And I left my camera at home (so thanks to Jon and Hannah for their camera work).

The trioval with Mike's gentle foam-wedge banking was a dream to drive - really fast and smooth.

There were some big scores.

We ran step-up finals and Andrew stepped up to white lane in the A final.

And he won!

...making it a Rose double - with Hannah picking up the junior medal and clinching the Nascar junior championship.

More pictures on Flickr. The race report and video will follow by the end of the weekend.

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
The championship tables are updated.

Firstly, congratulations to Darren on becoming Nascar champion for 2013, with Hannah picking up the junior Nascar trophy. The podiums were Darren, Andy and Andrew; Hannah, Callum and Tyler. Well done all - certificates to follow in January...

With last night's points, Hannah also becomes the 2013 WHO Junior Champion - following in the illustrious footsteps of Will and Callum. Hannah has been incredibly consistent this year, but also has two third place finishes - which is a record for a WHO junior. Ned has been a very impressive rival for the championship and his four A final appearances in a season is also a WHO junior record. I'm looking forward to seeing them slog it out again next season

Congratulations are also due to Jon Winslade who becomes WHO Rookie of the Year 2013. Jon has been top rookie in seven out of eight rounds he has raced and must be looking to kick on and challenge for race wins and championships next season. Andy and Ash still have to battle it out for second place, but those will be our top three rookies, despite a late surge by Richard.

The Club Championship is simple. If John wins in December and I don't come second or third, John pips me to the title and will become club champion for the fourth time. John could also win by coming second and I finish sixth or lower. Those are the only results that count. Tied scores count dropped score, then race wins.

Here's the top ten - with dropped scores subtracted:

The all important Family Fortunes table is looking interesting...

It's not mathematically done & dusted, but the Coombes do look as if they will take the bragging rights at the end of the year. And the Parker/Harveys need 62 points added to their total

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here's Dave's Race Report:

NASCAR Race Report

The conclusion of the NASCAR Championship saw twenty one racers ready to compete for the last medals of the season. This round saw some major changes in so much as we had more discrete banking at a lower incline and our first venture into step-ups which is used at most EAHORC events.

To the uninitiated, each final apart from the last one has three racers and the winner of each steps-up to the next final and so on until there is four racers in the top final. It worked very well on the night and we will be using this system on the NASCAR and Micro Scalextric rounds for next year - and hopefully Andrew will be able to modify the software without too much trouble.

Overall the evening produced some very exciting and competitive racing with over 40 laps achieved in 2 minutes by the top racers. Andy eclipsed everyone with 130.60 for three runs and Mike did 128.55.

Heats

Heat one had Jay, Tyler, Ash and Andy Parker competing, which Tyler won by a narrow margin from an improving Ash.

The second heat had some of the big guns, namely John, Duncan, Jonah and Ned. This proved to be quite comfortable for John with Duncan leading Jonah home with Ned having an unusually bad night bringing up the rear.

The third heat had Mike D winning all the rounds, Dave trying to stay with him and failing and Paul beating Matt for third.

Heat four saw Jon, Simon, Richard and Hannah matched together. This turned out to be the most hotly contested rounds of the heats all the racers scored over 33 laps in every lane, except Jon in white lane when his Life Like decided to part company with its gearing. Simon came out on top followed by Jon, Richard and Hannah separated by a mere 12 laps.

The fifth heat had Andrew, Stephen and Ollie racing. Andrew won through but Stephen and Ollie battled in each of the rounds and Stephen eventually came out on top. The final heat consisted of Andy and Mike McCann of which, as already mentioned, Andy triumphed with the best overall score.

Finals

The G Final had Mike McCann, Ned and Matt which Mike won by two laps from Ned, who had he been more consistent on the night would have been in the D final on this result.

Mike moved up to the F Final where he met Stephen, Jay and Ollie. This was a well contested final which Stephen just beat Dad by .25 of a lap, Jay was half a lap behind in third.

Stephen moved up to the E Final where he raced against Andy P, Jonah and Paul, again another eagerly contested race with Andy winning from Jonah and Stephen.

The D Final had Dave, Duncan, Ash and Andy competing, this was a duel between Dave and Duncan both no more than half a lap in front of each other at any time with Dave coming out on top .30 of a lap ahead.

Dave joined Richard, Hannah and Tyler for the C Final which Richard won from Hannah and Dave.

The B Final had Richard, Andrew, Jon and Simon racing with Andrew's Super G winning by just over two laps from Simon and Jon.

The A Final had Andy, John, Mike D and Andrew. Andy was the favourite but crashed immediately after the start and never recovered, Mike did much the same later and John was knocked off, leaving Andrew the only one to be free of crashes during the race, this enabled Andrew to just win by.15 of a lap from John and Mike with a very disappointed Andy last.

Presentations were made to the two winners on the night - dad and daughter, Andrew and Hannah. The award for Junior NASCAR Champion 2013 was also presented to Hannah. The NASCAR Champion 2013 was Darren McHarg who had secured the Championship prior to this meeting but unfortunately was unable to attend.

Finally I would like to thank all those members who have helped in some way to making this championship a success namely, Mike (the Builder), Andy, Gareth, Simon and Mike McCann on Race Control and Stephen (Sticker Monkey).

We look forward to 2014's championship.

- Dave P
Very many thanks to Dave for running Nascar this year. I can't wait to next season either

The website has been updated with the race report, plus Hannah and Jon have been inducted (I think that's the right word) into the WHO Hall of Fame.

The final piece of the post-race jigsaw is the video. Sound and stills are ready - just waiting for the video to be extracted from Hannah's fancy phone and transferred from one side of East Sussex to the other...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts