SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I've got a few SG+ chassis to tinker with and see if I can find a quick one but if not, I'll be relying on my Lifelike. With a change of axle and body of course.

Anyone going to try a Mega G this year or will it be the usual two chassis slugging it out?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Not given a 1.5 MEGA a thought Gareth...........

Might be worth a try........need to be a right fast one........But it might prove to be a little bit more "sticky" around the bends if the tyre height is bang on....

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I've got a second hand one in my box but I've not really run it so no idea on if its any good. might bring it as a spare.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I'd definitely run mine with a JL body. I've currently got an old Aurora Camaro body on it which is similarly light and with minimal overhang.

Emily and I were talking to her Dad about the garage last night and our plans for it. The upshot being that he is going to start securing materials for the weatherproofing and insulation and we're going to be working faster on clearing the garage and making it ready for the job. Diesel is kindly helping me with sourcing a parallel ported laptop for laptiming and then I can finally start doing some properly quantified testing of cars.

And build the much talked about routed track!

·
Registered
299 Posts
This NASCAR round Ned and I might be racing.........

left to right:Go daddy lifelike body on SG+,Tropicana lifelike,Valvo lifelike,Scooby Doo JL body on SG+,Dupont COT lifelike body on SG+.....

Start your engines gentlemen.......

see you on weds

mIkE

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A cool selection - with some bigger digital Nascars in the background, I think

I'll be racing my SG+ and Taco Bell body, plus a trusty Parma Eco controller

The body is getting tatty. I'm planning on doing another #34 body, plus another green JL body to put on top on my Nascar Mega-G...

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I have a day off today and have just invaded the "no boys allowed" zone that is Emily's craft room with a handful of bodies, a box of bits and some chassis. Hopefully I can make something that runs out of that little lot! Half of the cars I need to work on are for the HONK race on the 24th. My trusty LifeLike along with a couple of "interesting" chassis choices for Closed Wheel!

Andy, the body only looks tatty when half the decals have been shredded like mine! I must order some peel n' stick and make a good looking Nascar at some point!!

·
Registered
448 Posts
I may very well be mad but may be tempted into trying out a turbo for nascar---still have the ll for back up if all goes pete tong!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
It might be worth changing the wheels for .250s so you can use the full range of Supertires to find the optimum balance of grip and straightline speed. Get it too low and you'll barely move. On standard hubs and .458s, you'll be a missile on the straights but hopeless in the corners.

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
I think the Turbo is a project worth pursuing - with the proviso Gareth gives. I'll dig out an axle and pop some .250 hubs on it for you

Using the standard hubs, you could use .418" or .426" Supertires - these are the 'low' and 'medium' sizes that are used on standard Turbo hubs at the Derby Le Mans 24 hour race.

Also, with Gareth back on track, I keep forgetting to plug Race Live! (aka Project Gareth) where those unlucky enough not to make it to the Barn can follow all the action online. I know at least one guy in the States does.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I did try one before and it was great in a straightline but I was just way too slow in the corners. In one heat I was last off the line, first into turn one but also the first car on the floor! The braking distance needed was huge.

I had a productive day yesterday. I actually managed to re-arm some SG+ chassis. Just one more to go which is proving incredibly fiddly and stiff. Stop sniggering Mr Dadson, stiff is a legitimate word!

I've also done a little cleaning on my 1.5 Mega G and brought a standard axle for the LifeLike so I have a nice range of things to try. Assuming I make practise that is!

I'm using the plain Johnny Lightning bodies which will make Deane wince if he appears or sees them in photos! They will be painted and decalled eventually.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I think I've fixed all the issues that led to a 2nd place at HONK. Cars prepped and ready to race. Although I think I've sold my soul to Lucky Bob in the process. Shake & Bake.

I keep forgetting Race Live. Just uploaded a few Nascar pics and the flyer to it. Don't forget you can email photos straight to Race Live from youur mobile. Just ask me for the address. I know there were lots of new Christmas smart phones at WHO last month.

·
Registered
448 Posts
An intersesting night at The Barn Raceway the turbo experiment was a bit up and down but I am still sure there is somthing there,,,just a lot of work needed on tyre sizes!!!!!

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We should have plenty of pics of tonight - and more over on Race Live! which seemed to croak just before the finals...

We had 20 on the grid for the first oval race of the year.

Plenty new Super-Gs this season, some tucked under Life Like bodies.

The 'A' final was a horrendously scrappy 120 seconds - a typical WHO Nascar affair

But it was Darren who stayed calm and took his first win of 2013.

Results to follow very soon...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts