SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I have reverted back to the SG+ for this round. While I know the LifeLike is mighty quick, it did prove a touch fragile and I've had a frustrating time snapping pick up plates and motor probes. I think I've knackered four motors now! I don't know why I've got so heavy handed all of a sudden.

I spent a merry couple of hours last night ohming armatures and measuring motor magnets. For all those who have not read Robin's excellent tech articles on the website, they are a must read if you want to learn how to unlock more performance in your cars.

Armatures

Magnets

I love the tech section of the WHO site!!

So I'll know that I've got the best arm and magnets available to me on the 3rd. And the rest will be due to my cack handed building skills and lumpy driving!

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I'm about to put the first chassis together. I'm going to bring a spare car with standard magnets but small wheels and high gears to see how that looks. And there will be another Mega G running which Rob will be driving which will be interesting.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
There'll be another rookie on the grid next week in the shape of my brother Jon which will be interesting. We spent a bit of time building up his chassis on Saturday and a few more hop up parts are on the way from Lucky Bob so I'm hoping he has a good debut race event. I don't think he'll be able to race every month but it is possible.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I`m bringing a few rookies of my own, my brother and his family are over from Aus and are keen to join in at the next meet, I might even be able to persuade my dad to race and what with my other brother taking sometime of work aswell, there could be 7 Coombes on the grid, I`m just thinking of the massive payout Coombes will get on the Family Fortunes Championship table

Now I just gotta prep up enough cars for us all to race.....

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Wow Simon that is one serious Coombes contingent on the grid! And yes, will you have enough good parts to build 7 race cars plus spare cars!

I think this looks like one of those evenings where we all need to chip in and support Race Control in getting everyone on track in good time and keeping marshals at their posts for each pair of heats.

Looking forward to it!

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's exciting stuff!

School holiday attendances are either a bit thin on the ground or overflowing. I prefer the latter.

I almost got my niece and brother-in-law along, but they don't arrive until Thursday. Some HO rug racing is planned for Friday though

Definitely some help getting people onto the grid and their cars stickered-up would be great. Andrew's scoreboard really helps with that.

I have the dilemma of running my Mega-G or giving my new Harden Creek Tyco its debut. The Tyco did do a couple of laps at the Eahorc meeting at Marlborough last weekend and was pretty grippy...

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
That's a tough choice. A car which has had most of the glitches ironed out amd consistently reaches the A final but is on the ragged edge to do it or a super quick and grippy car which has not reached its potential yet so will need developing.

I've been laid low with man flu for the past couple of days (felt bad since Tuesday) but did manage to turn my five brand new Mega G chassis into two potentially very quick cars. Of the rest, two are a bit bent around the traction mag holes and maybe scrap already.

Still got to work on the SRT, trim tyres for the MR1 and make sure I have bodies for everything. Maybe tomorrow!!

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Haha nice one Andy! I think your second post just disappointed a few people and certainly messed up a few alternative strategies for a good championship placing!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Ned and I are looking forward to Weds MOD action.....

This month we might be racing one of these little beauties......

·
Registered
98 Posts
Very nice Mike, liking the red with white stripe'

It`s what I`m seriously lacking at the moment, some decent lexans.

Got four cars prepped up so far, two super G`s one Tyco and thanks to Gareth, remembered all the Tomy bits and pieces in my scraps box, so threw together an SRT, which looks pretty good on my test track, spend some time today on a life like and maybe a mega G, ready to be trashed Wednesday night by my younger brothers and their kids

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Definitely time to get that lexan painting tutorial up on the website. In fact we could do a couple - one for spray painting and one for brush painting. Hopefully that should inspire you Simon

Anyway, here's the track plan for tomorrow night, just arrived from Robin:

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It was a fantastic Easter meeting at the Barn. Thirty three on the grid and a ridiculously competitive field.

Simon had his work cut out supplying and maintaining cars for most of his extended family.

After some great heats, some massive scores and some complete disasters, it was John, Andrew, Ned and Mike D in the A final...

John won an incredible ninth consecutive WHO Mod race (and his tenth WHO Mod race win of all time), with Ned taking his first junior medal.

Awesome stuff John

And with a dramatic end to the night, the battle for second went down to the wire, with Andrew skidding past Mike right at the death...

(John's car in red in the front, then Andrew's dark metallic car and Mike's red and white car in the background).

·
Registered
550 Posts
Busy night. Well done to all involved in keeping things running smoothly and Gareth the Sticker Boy for getting people ready for their heats.

Hope all the new racers enjoyed themselves. Nice to see AlfaDave down from HONK.

Well done to John and Ned on the wins. A junior A finalist is pretty good going.

Love that picture of the A final start grid, especially as my car never moved any further than that
Pretty pleased in 2nd with Hannah's car after the worst A final start imaginable.

Do I really have to wait 3 months? I want to race again tonight!

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Surely it was Christmas yesterday because that was a cracker of a meeting!

Terrible jokes aside, it was immensely fun and some of the toughest competition I think I've ever seen at the Barn.

It was great to see everyone having so much fun and to see so many people on the grid.

Big thanks to Alfadave for the loan, it was a big help and it was nice to see him on his first appearance at WHO.

I was running around so much with the stickers (as was Andrew when I was racing or "elsewhere" I barely even got a chance to talk to neighbour Rob who was going great guns to make the B final.

Ned was amazingly quick and was leading for a lap! That would have been amazing seeing him get both medals.

I'm installing Darren as pre-race favourite for Nascar having seen his Nascar running last night. It was quicker than my Mod car with standard gearing.

Anyway well done to the winners, organisers and everyone for making it such a great night.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts