SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
That is short! And I've used up all of my new Harden Creek narrow hubs on modified car axles. Blast!!

Fortunately thanks to Mike my car is ready to rock although I don't have the definitive rear axle yet.

Actually Andy, quick question. Are you mounting your new hubs to the original axle or are you buying a new 0.063 axle to transfer the crown, saver and hubs onto? I tried to put a new hub on the original axle and what with the knurling it was a nightmare.

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Current WHO F1 rules state:
Rear axle must be stock item and no additional spacers permitted. Any type of rear wheels can be used, but must have no sharp edges.
Indeed, to replace the wheels on the stock Mega-G axles is more than a little tricky.

EAHORC rules allow any axle and I used a Wizzard axle on my EAHORC car. A SG+ or Turbo axle might have been better. It's important to cut the axle before removing the crown gear so the gear doesn't have to go over the knurling and have its insides ripped out.

There's a very good chance that the 2014 WHO F1 and Nascar rules will (more or less) homologate with the 2013-14 EAHORC rules, so identical Mega-Gs can run at each. We'll still have the Micro Scalextric running in Formula One though

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Ah I forgot that the rules had drifted apart a little bit. I am very much in favour of the WHO rules mirroring EAHORC for Nascar and F1. Our Mod class obviously remains unique but strangely alluring to other clubs!!

I also didn't cut the axle to remove the crown so I've probably burgered this axle. Mmm burgers...I'm hungry!

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have fully prepped Daniels mega g (ok I glued the front wing back on) and hope to have a couple of decent micro`s to give Mr Rose a challenge for the classic cup!!!!!! All being well I will fly off at the first corner then have to pinch one of boys mega g`s to finish the night!!!!!!

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After some serious testing over the weekend and last night, the new Trackmate timing system is ready to be used tomorrow.
The start sequence is a little different to what we're used to, but is the same Formula One style lights going out, just slightly quicker.

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/6T5ox7YisrE?rel=0

And the start is still 'live' - so no pulling of the trigger until the green lights come on or you lose a lap!

The next step is to get Trackmate hooked up to relays to control the track power. That should be coming over the summer. The relays give us the option of sticking with live starts or moving to 'dead' starts, where the power comes on as the green lights show.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Good work Andy. I've always felt that the older light sequence was a bit too slow so this is definitely an improvement!

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll keep my fingers crossed that everything goes to plan

If it doesn't, all we need to do is switch a couple of plugs and we're back to LapTimer2000.

And for those who can't make it tonight, there will be Andrew's Race Live keeping the world up to date with the goings-on at the Barn.

Just go to our website and click on the Race Live panel.

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
24 on the grid for a cracking Formula One night at the Barn.

Trackmate made a successful debut and got the thumbs-up from racers and race controllers alike. Dave, Mike, Gareth and Simon all took their turns and doubled up - one on Trackmate, one on the race spreadsheets - which made race control much easier. Plus Andrew fixed the bug on Scoreboard / Race Live - one of the laptops has been having an identity crisis.

After some frantic heats, it was Darren, Mike D, Andy and Dave in the A final.

It was a Dadson clean-sweep with Mike winning the race and Ned winning an impressive junior medal - beating Hannah in the B final.

So here are the results tables - some impressive performances right down the grid

More to come...

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
It was another superb night in the Barn and I thoroughly enjoyed my second stint on Race Control and first time as medal giver-outer-er!!

Sad times that Jon beat me but he was just on the pace all night and did some sterling work with his Tyco. Gutted he is racing at Edmo tomorrow and not me. Just hope he doesn't wreck my Mega Gs as he's pinched them!!

Crazy to think that the next race is actually the penultimate round in this season of Mod already. But bring it on. I can promise there is a twist coming in terms of track design and it is one I hope you will enjoy!

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Race Report

Summer has definitely arrived and there was a suitably relaxed atmosphere at the Barn for our second Formula One race of the year.

Round one winner Clive was off on his holidays - no doubt enjoying the good weather - so there was a good chance his championship lead would take a hammering from his rivals.

The track was just shy of 50 feet this month, so a little shorter than usual. It proved to be quick for all the chassis, with a couple of tricky places that needed careful judgement of the braking zone.

The biggest news track-wise was the upgrading of our timing system. It was the end of an era really, with the old, (fairly) reliable LapTimer 2000 being replaced by the all-singing, all dancing TrackMate.

TrackMate got the thumbs-up from racers and race controllers and it certainly does make race control a whole lot easier - as Dave, Andy, Gareth, Mike Mc and Simon discovered during the evening.

Anyway, back to the racing.

The heats began with a brief rendition of 'Happy Birthday' for Alex, who had brought a large bowl of Haribo to celebrate his last evening of being six. Alex was in the first of six very fast heats, his including Dave and Simon.

The third set of heats saw Darren blitz qualifying, setting top scores in all four lanes. His Mega-G was apparently a little down on top speed, but that seemed to suit the circuit perfectly. Andy set some good scores with his Tyco, but was it enough to make another 'A' final after pole last time out?

Mike Dadson was up in the fifth set of heats. He was fast and consistent enough to push Darren the closest, yet was still six laps off Darren's pole position.

Hannah and Andrew's Micro Scalextric cars were seriously fast, but not quite fast enough to break into the 'A' final. It was Andy and former F1 champion Dave who qualified third and fourth. Andy would be top in the 'Classic Cup'.

Finals

The 'F' final saw an impressive triumph for Helen, beating seasoned campaigners Jonah, Alex and Daniel.

The 'E' final was a very close affair, with Caz keeping her cool to hold off Stephen, Ash and Paul - all four covered by less than a lap and fastest laps almost identical.

The 'D' final saw Mike McCann's Micro Scalextric car demolish the rest of the field, leaving Callum, Tyler and Colleen in his wake. Mike also set the first sub-four second fastest lap in the finals.

The 'C' final had some serious sibling rivalry going on, with Jon out-qualifying his brother Gareth and beating him by a lap in the race. But that was for second and third. Simon took a convincing win, with Duncan back in fourth.

The fight for the junior medal took place up in the 'B' final. Ned out-qualified Hannah, but both had lanes they were happy with. As it was, Ned won the heat with a massive score of 28.45 laps and the best fastest lap so far. Andrew was second, Hannah third and John fourth.

Which just leaves us with the 'A' final. The start was a little scrappy, with Darren, Mike and Andy all leading in the first few laps. When the leader crashed, they would go back to third and so on... Mike's early offs were his only ones. He took the lead and held on to it - just about.

On race control, Gareth called out the gap between Mike and the charging Darren. By the end it was just over one second - or a third of a lap. Tough luck on the guy who had been fastest all night long.

So a dramatic 'A' final to finish off a great evening's racing. It was, of course, a Dadson clean-sweep and a very happy Ned and Mike took their medals back to Angmering. Congrats to both.

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wednesday's video for you, as promised.

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/GrxdU_k35Ao?rel=0

All the WHO Racing videos are on our YouTube Channel

The website should be fully updated very soon.

Thanks to everyone for their contributions on Wednesday night - on Race Control, fixing bugs on laptops, providing Haribo and to Andrew for shooting the 'A' final footage. I've never had a more chilled F1 night

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The website is updated with all the action and stats from last Wednesday and the WHO winners from Saturday's Eahorc race.

After some nudging, I'll aim to get the two lexan painting tutorials up in the Tech section in the next week or two. And I'll do the remaining ones on the list over the summer when parts of the website will get a bit of an overhaul.

Any more Tech tutorials you'd like to see or can offer to do?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Could Mr Rose do a bit on how to make Micro`s go even better???? Would be a fairly cheap option to suggest to new racers

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
That's an excellent idea Mike although I fear a lot of the answer will involve part sorting through a good number of chassis to find the best possible bits. Andrew has already mentioned the amount of work with a digital caliper that was required to find the optimal crown gear.

But I expect we could all learn something useful from the Micromeister regarding the set of braids and other bits as well.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
QUOTE (pne4ever @ 11 Jun 2013, 11:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Getting kids to stay quite and marshall races??????????
Cattle prods and how to use them would probably help with that!

Andy if you'd like me to have a go at writing any of those, I'd be more than happy to have a crack from next week. Maybe the pickups one? Not sure what you want to say in the track systems one.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts