SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Gosh darnit, that's over a month away! I don't know if I can wait that long. Must clean some track to run on at home!

·
Registered
448 Posts
G-Man,, you need to have a word with your brother!!!!!! He is talking about running a Turbo, please remind him they DO NOT like corners!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
He is indeed practising with a Turbo. I must get him signed up to the forum and to post some photos.

The dining room at Winslade HQ where he and Tim are still based (parents house basically!) has been mostly emptied for redecorating. While that is happening, Jon has set up a test track. Here are some photos of the track we were running prior to the June F1 round while consuming vast quantities of beer. Funnily enough it didn't help my results for the actual race!

At the moment he has changed the track to an oval which is probably only marginally smaller than what we'll be running next month and he's achieving 3.3 second laptimes with his Turbo and that is using the set AFX controllers as opposed to his Stage III. He will need to work on some consistency though.

For my part, I have begun tinkering with axles for my Lifelike and will be ordering some new rims and tyres at the end of the week. I've sussed out why my Mod car never runs well as a Nascar so I will probably be relying on that rather than my slower SG+ which proved very effective last time out.

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought that was the Micro Scalextric race on the 21st. He has an invite.

Good move to do some practice for the oval races.

Even if it's a small 2-lane oval with standard AFX or Micro Scalextric controllers, you can practice getting the rhythm of oval racing.

Gareth - those are interesting looking snacks in the bottom photo

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Interesting but not very tasty ultimately! The track posed a peculiar hazard if you took Turns 2 or 4 too fast as well.

I've heard of going into the gravel trap being referred to as getting stuck in the kitty litter but this is ridiculous!

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Good news from the Cheam Garage where some serious testing and tuning has been going on. Jon has managed to get his SG+ chassis into the sub 3 second bracket and his Mod car down to a 2.5 second lap on the oval as well.

So it appears that the SG+ would be the faster option than the Turbo for a whole lap. However his testing has been on a flat oval and with set controllers so there may well be a few tenths in the Turbo when combined with a good controller.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Two weeks to go until we get back to the Barn. I don't think I've ever felt the gap between WHO races to be this long before. Five weeks isn't even that unusual but wow it has dragged like crazy this time. Maybe because of all the activity of the end of June and beginning of July with the three races that we had that is making this period so barren!

Here is a picture of my lovely new toy for you to all admire in the meantime!

I joined the Big Boy's club!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Is it now time to go digital? You can pick up some of the older 6 car pb`s on flea bay fairly cheap and I can let you know of a timing program.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
That really depends on if you can run converters between classic track and sports track and digital track.

I've got about 90 - 100 pieces of Classic track so I don't really want the additional expense of buying Sports track to replace it!

Just so I can offer an additional class of racing in the Garage!

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
Classic to Sport adaptors readily available - part #C2822. Digital track is Sport so no extra adaptors needed.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Oh Brian, now you'll make it hard not to go digital!! I think it would make sense though. I could set up two lane layouts on the big race table and keep them long enough to be exciting.

Money is a factor though so this will be some way down the line. Cheap carpet, skirting board and tiles are needed first!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Why do you need tiles, carpet and skirting boards for a race track? Is there some special race prep going on over there?

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
You mean I haven't bored you senseless going on about my garage?

I have a giant race room which has been nicely insulated and plastered and mostly painted but I want to carpet the floor and tile the toilet in there before it is finished.

And build the bar....

·
Registered
448 Posts
OK everyone------ what is more important at the G-Mans raceway carpet or the Bar??????? Thats one vote for the bar then lol

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Lol! Don't worry Mike, the bar will be there. And the reason I'm going with carpet is it is cheaper than any other flooring! Especially if you use old office carpet tiles....suitably cleaned of course!

Slightly back on topic, are you going to risk your Turbo again on the oval or are you back to a LifeLike?

·
Registered
448 Posts
For the 100th time I am NOT running cars this time, am up in the frozen north trying not to get into trouble at the football!!!!
Shame the wife is going as well will have to really watch what I shout at the scum with the tower!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts