SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I hope everyone had a great Christmas. I've seen one cool new HO car that Santa delivered to Woodingdean and I've heard about the arrival of multiple AutoWorld goodies in Goring

It's not long now to the first race of the new season (our fifth year at the Barn) and Gareth has designed a great track to get us started...

Mike D has been busy since the last race, putting the finishing touches to the new plug-and-play power system.

Me and Mike will be carrying out a full test before the Mod race and if everything runs well, we'll have computer-controlled track power for 2014.

That means we'll be moving to 'dead starts' with track power coming on as the lights go green.

The power supplies are now fully-standardised with the national Eahorc set-up - that's 18V and 1.5amps per lane - and we'll have better power distribution round the track.

Thanks to the fundraising t-shirts, some new AFX 18 and 15 inch track pieces are on order from the US. That will allow us more varied track designs from the March F1 round onwards. T-shirts (plus other WHO fashion items) can be ordered from Mike - proceeds will help us buy more equipment during the year.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
If the opening half of the lap looks familiar, then it is because I based the track upon the Barcelona Grand Prix circuit but then decided that a long back straight would make for better racing than the second half of the track. That chicane at the end of it though is going to be a real accident blackspot.

I am looking forward to campaigning in the WHO Tuners championship this year.

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With WHO Tuners we are talking hard body and stock traction magnets.

Gareth - I guess you'll run your Life Like and others can run their Nascar LLs, Mega-Gs and Super-Gs either with the usual Nascar bodies or another closed-wheel style. Any suggestions for good, light racing bodies?

People using their Nascars could also swap out the stock axle and use one with different gearing (remembering to swap back for Nascar).

Aside from Nascar-legal chassis, an MR-1, SRT or Artin F with a hard body would go well too, I reckon...

And WHO Mod stays the same, with the upgraded traction mags and lexan bodies permitted.

There was one rule change though? Can't remember what...

·
Registered
98 Posts
No new cars for me, but a small box chock full tasty wizardy morsels.

WHO Tuners for me too, that might shape up to quite an interesting little sub category.

Liking the track design Gareth, it's a monster, will get down to the Barn early and help set up.

Really looking forward to the new season and all the extras lined up this year, will miss out on a mod and a micro this year, but will be able to bring back some cool new cars from Aus

Happy New to all Whotopians, see you on the 8th.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Thanks Simon! Hope you had a good Christmas. I'm really pleased with the track design. I've also done my July track design (you'll be doing April of course!) which is ugly but should make for really good racing.

I will be using my Lifelike once again and hoping to get up in the A final with the Mod boys! Andy, the scoring for Tuners gives a point for pole position. Is that if you get the overall pole or just the Tuners pole?

I recommend the Lifelike/Rokar Porsche which is readily available from Lucky Bob and other good HO retailers. Alternatively the Datsun is even better but harder to get hold of. Therefore if anyone would like to come in on a group order of resin Datsuns, please let me know. We need 10 bodies to get the order. You will have to paint your own.

It will be interesting to see how the Slot Cars Direct SRT fairs in Mod this year. With the lexan body it should be super quick.

And the great new rule for Mod is of course: multi coloured tyres!

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Gareth - good tips for bodies there. I shall keep an eye out for a few for the shop.

The resin Datsuns you're thinking about are very good racing quality - not heavy and brittle like some resin bodies.

The points system has been inspired by BTCC, including the extra point for pole position - and that will be for the top Tuner on the grid. It may, or may not make an useful tie-breaker at the end of the first WHO Tuner championship season...

I hope to get a couple of lexan bodies painted, decaled and in the shop for next Wednesday - so they will be ready-to-run SCD SRTs to buy for racing in the main WHO Mod class.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
It's tomorrow! Really looking forward to it. Must get off my backside and do some final tweaking though.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Who's been a busy boy then?

Fingers crossed for tomorrow.....It's had a double test......

see you all later on today..

Will be bringing a selection of Hoodies for sizing and orders?

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Ooh its very pretty looking Andy! I like that alot.

I am tempted to race this body tonight instead of my usual Datsun. It is in my pitbox!

I have three Lifelike chassis ready to be campaigned in Tuners. Just need one pinion gear. I also have a Modified Lifelike for the main class.

I am bringing some brand new in packet Tyco Mattel 440 x2 chassis which will be for sale if anyone wants one. They are the princely price of £6 per rolling chassis for club members and they come with the 3.5 ohm quick armature.

See you all later!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Gareth are these the Harden creek tyco`s? Stephen will be using a scd turbo, hopefully there will be a body ready to put on straight away if not he will have to make do!!!!
I will be using the usual Macca Turbo with one change---the tyres!!!!!! Sorry they are still blue but are different from last time so will be interesting to see how it goes this time!

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Hi Mike,

No these are straight from Mattel themselves so have not been tuned or anything. But they are designed for the battery powered sets which is why they have the quick armatures in them. They are the wide pan chassis.

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
We had twenty on the grid for our first race of 2014

We started with the 2013 prizegiving, including our top two juniors receiving Micro Scalextric sets

There was some great racing through the heats

The finals had step-ups, which added to the tension and the excitement

The A final line-up saw three racers with very similar best heat scores

At the end of the final, they were separated by just over a lap, with Jon winning his first WHO race. Ned came fourth, beating his dad and winning the junior medal

More pictures over on Flickr.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
What a great night that was! I'm so thrilled my little brother and his first win. I've promised him that I'll work on his Mega G for F1. He does ok in Nascar so needs some good F1 results for a tilt at the Club title.

Gutted I had such an unreliable car. The race I was having with Ned and Mike hunting us down was so much fun.

Race report to follow.

Here are a couple of snaps of the track I took.

And my new for 2014 racebox! The flight case CD box I was using before looked better on the outside but this holds more things and in a better way.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Cool Stuff Gareth.

Looks as if, from the Facebook feed, the Roses had some kind of interesting Ferrari GT hard body?

It was very cool watching the live feed last night, and at the same time skyping with guys in the US who were also watching.

You guys truly have an epic setup down there.

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Another very nice conversion from diesel

I don't know the details of the donor body, but it looks superb

We have 2014 championship tables up now. The WHO family fortunes has made it onto the tables thread for this year - good to see the Parkers in second place

Our top two rookies from last year did exceedingly well in the racing last night after collecting their certificates earlier in the evening...

Another notable mention has to go to Mike's new power system which plugs & plays beautifully. It worked flawlessly and gave us TrackMate-controlled track power for the first time at WHO.

All-in-all an exceedingly good start to our fifth season at the Barn.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts