SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is the final round of our 2014 WHO Modified class championship.

Club cars are available - but if you're using your own car, please read the rules.

Jon has already clinched the 2014 WHO Mod crown (just), but he could win it in style with four wins out of four...

Gareth needs 7 points to win the first WHO Tuners competition and Ned is almost home and dry to be top junior.

Simon's track plan will be posted very soon, so you'll be able to start fine-tuning those cars

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Looking forward to the final round and hopefully clinching that Tuners title with a cleansweep of 4 poles and 4 wins. But I am also thinking that I am going to run my Artin Chevrolet Lumina this round.

It isn't as fast as my Lifelike but it is nice to drive and it is a bit different. Might have changed my mind by October though! And it does depend on Duncan and what he is going to run among others.

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apologies this is a little later than planned - Simon sent it through a couple of weeks ago

I'm really excited with running a very unorthodox footprint for the Barn. Might take a little longer to set up and place race control and driver stations, so bear with us

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Cor blimey that is a pretty radical departure from the norm! I better make sure I clock up a couple of hours overtime Monday and Tuesday so that I can get to the Barn promptly to help set up. Looks fantastic though, a real race track.

·
Registered
448 Posts
There may be a need for a small child by turn 10 inside the tables as I hate to think of the carnage that could occur there.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Will we need to show our passports at the border to DHORC territory Nick!

It is true that many of our tracks tend to be themed on a rectangle. I've always assumed we have to have the big main straight but if we don't then we can get very creative indeed! Remember the Montoya in a Williams Budweiser ad...yeah that track!

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
I have probably driven the 'need' for a long main straight as much as anyone, but you guys are racing a lot more often and can experiment more.

One practical reason for the long straight is that it places the final turn before the cars pass the drivers (and, more to the point, more often that not, the start line) far enough away from them they are not tempted/forced to self-marshal.

1,488 Posts
Yes Gareth but you would all get through without an eyelid being battered

I don't remember the ad but we have always liked at least one good long straight so the cars can reach full velocity at least once a lap hence copying real tracks since day one, Le Mans also has a bit of a straight (all 98 feet of it)

Cheers
Nick

·
Registered
448 Posts
Between turns 2 and 3 would be a good place for race control with drivers stationed between 4 and 5.
If track is extended then where will everything go?

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
An excellent 25 on the grid tonight to say farewell to WHO Mod for another year. And what an eventful night it was!

It was great to welcome 5-year-old Harley who was expected to head home after his first pair of heats... He did all his heats and his final and did very well on his WHO debute. Harley found us thanks to his dad working with original WHO racers Kev and Adam.

Simon's seriously different track really threw the cat among the pigeons and turned the usual form guide upside down.

The A final line-up looked like this

Aaron joined John, Tony and Stephen to battle for the race win and junior medal - and what a cracking final two minutes of racing it was.

Absolutely massive congratulations to Tony on his first solo WHO win and tough luck on Stephen for coming so close to taking home both medals. He still looked pretty happy though - one reason being he just pipped Ned to the WHO Mod Junior Championship

There's more pics over on Flickr.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
That is a massive achievement by Tony, and I am so pleased for him. To take on WHO's Mr Mod, the Doctor of WHO, when John is on pole, and win, is epic stuff.

Good to see another Winslade on the grid.

I guess Andy will be hoping that last night will form his dropped score in the intense scrap with Jon for the overall title. Is John now in with a shot at that, or is he too far back?

·
Registered
448 Posts
A very fun nights racing, after looking at track plan there was some concern about completing one lap let alone a quick lap!!!!!!
My concerns were unfounded when I realised that the 2 turbo cars seemed to be "dialled in", apart from a slight body problem I was really happy.
The cars were "stuck down" but not too strongly as to have the trigger fully down and stand back and do nothing!
Stephen really had to do some really good driving especially in his final and was very unlucky to have a collision that ended any hopes of a clean sweep!
Maybe next time you never know!!!!!!
So now onto the Micro championship------- can Stephen make it 2 championships in one season?

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Race Report

October 1st at the Barn saw the WHO racers entering The Twilight Zone, a night where the formbook was stood on its head against an early darkening sky. The ghoulish groaning that was heard around the several hundred year old Barn was actually traced to Andy Player whose Mega G was just one of many previously reliable cars that just would not behave on race day.
With our current leading junior Ned "Diddy" Dadson absent following his Dad's mysterious disappearance to the Far East on a mystical quest (ok it is a business trip but let me have my fun!), the junior field was wide open and the boys were all fired up to win a medal.

Simon was on track designing duties this month and he threw a splendid curveball with a track very different to anything we have previously seen at the club. Finding a rhythm with those short straights and rapid cars proved challenging for everyone.

Mastering all four lanes was more difficult than ever, even eventual pole man John faltered in red lane. Newly crowned Mod champion Jon meanwhile had a disaster as both his and potential future Mrs Winslade Abi on her debut saw their cars go up in smoke in their first heat. Adding to the sense of madness was Karolis thinking the heat was over and stopping when their cars did! Elsewhere reigning club champion Andy's car was grenading at every opportunity regardless of the severity of the accident, my Tuners Lifelike refused to act like the championship winner it already is and Mike McCann enjoyed wreaking havoc by continually jumping lanes throughout his heats with an unpredictable modified Turbo.

Standout performers from the heats were unquestionably John, Stephen and Tony who all made the A Final while Callum and Darren made a welcome return to the club and got straight into the B with Aaron was driving out of his skin and beat his dad Jamie down into the C Final!

Finals

The H Final kicked us off with Deborah on pole from Karolis, Corey and Abi. Following some hasty work in the pits by Jon, Abi was using Jon's race car and quickly decided the best thing to do was to find the fastest pace the car would take all the way round and hold it there…which seemed to work as she finished 11 laps clear of Karolis at the finish! Corey tried very hard to keep on the same terms but Karolis eked a lap out on him while Deborah struggled to keep her Nascar bodied SG+ in touch with a lack of grip.

Jonah was on pole in the G Final racing Andy Parker, brand new racer Harley and Abi. Andy was quick but his car would not behave for him and he fell down the order while Jonah was a victim of Abi and Harley who was also now driving a very sticky quick loaner car. In the end he couldn't overcome Abi who made it a double step up.

The F Final was between Neil's Tuner (a real contender in the first round of heats), Andy Player, Ollie (neatly beating his Dad) and danger girl Abi. Just how many scalps was she going to take this evening?!? It looked like three more for a while before Andy got the bit between his teeth and dragged everything he could out of his car to take a commanding victory but Abi was still second with Ollie putting Neil to the sword to take third. Still I think Neil is going to be a major player in next season's Tuners championship if he stays in the class.

The E Final began with Andy rocketing into the lead from pole man Mike, Tyler and Duncan in Tuners. Just like Neil (and many others!), Duncan had had two good heats and two tough ones. The battle was really on between Mike and Andy until once again some minor crashes wrecked Andy's race and he retired leaving Mike to take a comfortable win. Duncan and Tyler had a great scrap behind him to finish less than a lap apart with Duncan coming out on top.

The next bizarre event of the night was in the D Final where I was racing Simon, also in Tuners, Alex and his rather excellent sound activated T-Shirt and Mike. From the lead, I saw a light coloured car fly off as we came through the twisties and thinking it was me, I stopped driving. Doh, it was Mike. Two later crashes put paid to it and I trailed a sniggering Mike home second with Simon hot on my heels and Alex coming home fourth.

Jamie had driven an excellent set of heats to be on pole in the C Final but unfortunately his Mega G was no match for our champion Jon who blitzed the field with a huge 28 laps, the eventual highest score of the finals. Keith had been getting quicker and quicker as the night went on and he was able to follow Jon past Jamie into second place while Mike saw his excellent charge halted with some issues and couldn't progress beyond his second step up.

Our B Final couldn't be more exciting. Aaron on pole, Jon stepping up and the father son combo of Darren and Callum who are obviously no slouches. It was super close early doors before Jon over gassed it into turn one and wrecked into retirement. Darren struggled with a newly bought second hand car which promised much but delivered little in driveability and finished a lowly third.
Which left former junior Callum (six championships and 17 junior medals!) against newcomer and rising star Aaron. And they delivered with a gripping duel which was finally settled in Aaron's favour but Callum took the satisfaction of the fastest lap of the race.

And so the A Final. John and Tony the adults versus Stephen and Aaron. John's 28.45 in yellow in the heats was the highest score of the night overall so he naturally picked that lane but he just didn't seem as hooked up in the final and found himself slipping behind somewhat. The fight evolved through the race to become between Stephen and Tony, Stephen looking to achieve that rarest of beasts the overall and junior double while Tony was hunting that first solo medal. Aaron and John too were still in the mix. An off from Aaron through the final S bend collected Stephen too which let Tony eke out a lead but Stephen wasn't done yet and continued to chase down his rival right to the end of the race, the final gap was only slightly over half a lap. A superb job from both of them. John came home in third with Aaron a highly creditable fourth.
So well done to Tony on a brilliant first solo win, Stephen for winning the junior medal and the title, commiserations to John for a difficult final. I often give driver of the day to the juniors when they do such a brilliant job but for this one I think shared spoils has to go to Tony and Aaron. Tony quietly got on with it in qualifying and made sure he was in the right place in the final and Aaron drove a superb night too so they are my drivers of the day. Thanks to all and see you at Nascar pilgrim!

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
QUOTE (montoya1 @ 2 Oct 2014, 07:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That is a massive achievement by Tony, and I am so pleased for him. To take on WHO's Mr Mod, the Doctor of WHO, when John is on pole, and win, is epic stuff.

Good to see another Winslade on the grid.

I guess Andy will be hoping that last night will form his dropped score in the intense scrap with Jon for the overall title. Is John now in with a shot at that, or is he too far back?

Tony drove excellently all night but John's final was rather curious. From 28 laps in that lane in the heat to 22 in the final is a bit strange. I don't know if the car started to overheat or something but I thought he was nailed on for the win previously.

Abi isn't quite a Winslade yet but I'm hoping she does become one in the future. We thought it would be fun to stick her in as such though.

I think the club title is pretty much a three horse race with John the dark outsider. Next round is Nascar on a simple road course so Mike is probably favourite for that and for F1 in December based on his EAHORC performances in the past season or so. But you discount any of the four of them at your peril so I'm intrigued to see how it all plays out.

I'm particularly looking forward to Nascar actually. I think it is basically Jon vs. John for the title but Andy and Simon could spring a surprise and one of those guys is going to be pretty upset with no certificate come the end of the season.

I don't think Andy can overcome a 50 point deficit to Mike in F1 (although stranger things have happened) so the real fight is Jon, Ned and myself for that third spot.

Overall I have had a pretty torrid season really which is quite funny to say as a newly crowned champion but I have basically under delivered in either driving or car set up in one way or another all year long. Taking last night as an example, I raced the car as it was in June at EAHORC and WHO in July for 2 heats and it was a nightmare. Raced an Artin for one heat and then dropped the tyre height one size on the Lifelike for my final heat.....transformed the car and it took highest score in blue lane despite being in the sub class. If I had had the sense to make that simple change in the ample practise time I had, I could have been in the B or C final and taken some decent points in the overall Mod championship.

As it is, I am delighted with my clean sweep in Tuners this season. I feel a bit obliged to step up to full Mod next season as the champion but I do think next year's Tuners class is going to be awesome. Simon, Duncan and Neil are all getting very quick and I'm hoping we get some more quick guys giving the class a go.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Mr W, May I point out that my "lane jumping" only occurred in one heat---- not all of them as you made it sound!!!!!!!!
I put the problem down to a wobbly body and that last little bend,
Always a BIG problem a wobbly body and a tricky bend

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Oh it was definitely two lanes Mr M! I was on Race Control for both of them and Stephen was singing out the plus one on lane messages to me. Three laps on one heat and two on the other. It was all rather manic!

Good fun night though eh despite your wobbly problems!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts