SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I can confirm that the big oval will be making its first appearance this season. And my new SG+ chassis newly swapped from my brother's collection!

·
Registered
448 Posts
hhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm if it is a big oval do I try out a turbo????????? Maybe go for a micro to try something different or stick with ll or sg.
So many choices!!!!!

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I still think that the SG is the best chassis for the job and recent results back that theory up. Of course that isn't too say that a quick Lifelike couldn't be right up there but I have found that every time I have *ahem* detuned my Tuners chassis to Nascar spec, it hasn't performed as I want it too. It might be that I just prefer the driving style of the SG on the oval.

I built the perfect Turbo a few months back sourcing it from all of my cars. When you race it against other Turbos, you can see it is definitely quicker than other chassis but against Lifelikes and SG? I don't think it would stack up.

Now the Mega G on the other hand is definitely a chassis with potential. Even my 962 chassis which seems to rev weakly and have weak mags is actually rather quick. Must try it out on the oval.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Not sure if this can be done,, but how about trying a "rolling start" sometime?
I know the fancy new timing system may cause a problem with this but there must be a way round these things!
Also just to upset Mr Dadson there is a doubt over our ability to attend the digital meet on the 24th as we may be in London watching football!!!!!!!
Unless Preston mess it up again of course!

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
It was a frantic WHO-Nascar-style final 8 laps in the official Nascar race last night in Richmond (that's Richmond, Virginia), which you can watch on the Nascar website... after the cute hamster advert.

I also hear there was some very close racing involving our very own Gareth and mikefi at the Eahorc race in Kent today

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
I'm happy for the EAHORC banked turns to get plenty of use, but it will come down to logistics. They are currently somewhere on the Wilts/Berks border.

There are only 2 as well. I think it would cost £300 to get the other two done for the full oval experience if anyone is feeling generous

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Those BSTS banked corners are brilliant and very nice to drive. You also get a very cool noise from the cars as they go through them. Especially the high downforce afternoon cars.

But (and you knew it was coming) I have to say I'm not sure I see the appeal in a full day of racing on an oval. It's good for a WHO Nascar night because we are only racing the big oval twice a year but to do a full day of just four corners in one direction doesn't really appeal to me. And I hold my hands up and admit that I'm not the biggest fan of oval racing in general out there so other people might see it differently.

I thought the banking really added something to today and made the track different and fun. But having raced ovals for a couple of years now since I first talked about the EAHORC oval, I'm not so sure I want it.

Maybe a day where the morning or afternoon is oval and the afternoon has an infield would work.

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
It's really great there are some banked Bowman turns in the UK

They should definitely be used as much as possible. They'll fit into one end of our big Indy-style rectangular ovals really well.

It's a little late to sort out for our Nascar race in ten days time (a shame), but I'm sure our Nascar team - Gareth and Dave - can sort something out for the two races a year when we run our big rectangular oval. The next time after May we run an oval is likely to be for the final Nascar round in November, with a road course being used in August.

Our club was part of a conversation about helping get the banked curves over. The club would have paid for three 90-degree curves to add to one sample curve that was due last summer and had been paid for by Eahorc. That plan all depended on a successful application by us for a local grant - not something that can ever be guaranteed.

We were all excited about the quality of the track - although Dave and Mike have done a great job with the AFX curves and their carpentry skills. However, the cost Brad quoted us (£300 each), the non-appearance of a sample curve last summer, together with our club's decision to run a more varied range of Nascar tracks (so we'd only use them twice a year, at most) meant we pulled out of the plan.

What radii curves did Brad make in the end?

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Really looking forward to the race. And not just because Simon will be carrying my booty of Australian goodies! Anyone else have some tasty treats coming from down under?

·
Registered
448 Posts
The wife says can she one of those hats with corks on-----just leave the corks in the bottle and she will sort them out later!!!!!!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Has the shop got any tyres suitable for autoworld 4gear prostock drag cars as boys got a couple instead of easter eggs!!!!!!

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We don't stock the 4-gear tyres, unfortunately.

Barry at SlotCarsDirect in the UK does have Jel Claws listed - part number ST-2065. He also does spare parts for the chassis.

My experience is that the stock rubber tyres are perfectly fine on the drag strip. Those Prostocks are really nice - I have a couple or so

I'm still looking at setting up the strip at the WHO/digital day at the end of the month.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
One irritatingly ruined arm, two brushes ripped from their spring holders due to the force of the car eating itself, one broken traction magnet holder and a lot of swearing later, I have three cars ready to roll tonight.

The last one was broken in at a full 18 volts last night until it really screamed. I'm hoping that means it will run at that full bore speed tonight. I'm sure I will be disappointed!

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
21 on the grid tonight for the big oval race.

There was some really close racing, particularly for the junior medal.

This was the A final:

And here are our winners:

Congrats to Mike on his first WHO Nascar win and a great fightback from Ned who won two finals and then pipped Tyler to the medal.

Results to follow soon...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts