SlotForum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
There is a veritable feast of new repaints that will be heading to the Barn for this round. Keep an eye out for Keith's superb "wrapped" Danica car. It is the first example I've seen of an HO car being wrapped and Keith has done a great job of it. I've had a stab at an AT&T Monte Carlo too so that will be racing if I can find a good chassis to go under it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Good news everyone the boy blunder and myself will be unable to attend so everyone can be safe in the knowledge that we wont take them off at every corner

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Just had a browse of the championships ahead of this round. Nascar is shaping up to be the battle of the season with Jon and Mike seperated by just 20 points, Andy another 40 points back from Mike but now with a very quick car and Simon and John not that much further away either.

I really hope my tweaks have done the job. Been working on my SG chassis. And will have a good Lifelike with me too as backup.

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's definitely going to be an exciting race next Wednesday - and the championship will probably look very different afterwards, especially with Mike D and Ned away on holiday. There's a big chasing pack behind me too.

I'm hoping my Super-G+ still has some laps left in it. In December it'll reach the fifth anniversary of its first competitive race.

With the Dadsons and McCanns on their holidays, we'll definitely get a third junior winner for 2014. So far it's been mostly a Ned show with a few impressive cameos by Stephen.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I knew the McCanns were away but didn't realise the Dadsons were too. Definitely a great opportunity for someone like Alex, Tyler or Josh to get a medal.

I make it you and Jon for the overall win then unless John, Simon and I can get up there and make things happen. Its going to be fun.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Have a good evening.

Sadly I'm running on a space-saver on the CMAX, and the Mini is not available, so I won't be able to make it after all.

Is this the first time the EAHORC banked turns have been used as part of a full oval?

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
With plenty of our regulars on holiday or doing summer things, it was great to greet Aaron, Jamie, Ben, Deborah and Grant for their first races at the Barn. We'd first met Ben, Aaron and Grant at the East Preston Festival, racing on a tiny Micro set - so hopefully the 77 foot banked oval wasn't too daunting!

Keith's Super-G was one of several excellent re-liveries making their WHO oval debuts

After some incredibly competitive heats, it was important to make the right lane choice in the finals

The finals were all pretty exciting, even the A final was a close one. In the end we had father and son winners - for the first time ever it was John and Alex

Congratulations to them both - I'm sure it won't be the last time...

More pics over on Flickr.

Results, video and race report to follow.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Grrr pesky Super Gs!! Still at least I appear to have a reasonable car for next season's ovals.

It was a good fun night and Aaron was darn close to a rookie Junior win. Alex was driving like a champ though which was great to see.

By my reckoning, if the championship was over now it would be John with the title as he has a win and a second compared to Jon's win and 2 thirds. All we need now is Andy or Simon to somehow outscore them both by 40 points in November and all hell is going to break loose!! And with Mike D returning for that round with his very rapid car it is going to be amazing.

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It certainly was really close to a medal win on debut for Aaron. He drove well - stepping up to make it a head-to-head for the silverware - but Alex knew he had a big chance for his first junior medal and he wasn't going to let that chance go. I can definitely see them both vying for the medals for years to come.

The Nascar championship table looks very exciting. I'd pretty much dismissed my chances, but then I remembered it's a road course in November - that could make things very interesting...

Anyway, here's the video from last night

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/5wLAEcmBjqE?rel=0

You can also watch it on the Worthing HO Racing YouTube Channel - along with all our other videos.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Great video Andy.

It did make me wonder how massive I could make my beard come November and whether a lumber shirt would be appropriate by then!

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
Great pictures & report Andy.

NERCS are running HO NASCARS on August 20th, can`t wait after seeing this!

Cheers
Kev

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Race Report
This week saw the return of the WHO Nascar Championship and the penultimate round of the season was the first use of the BSTS banking on one of our popular large ovals…run counter clockwise in keeping with the left turn philosophy of full size Nascar!

Our first heat of the evening had newcomers Jamie and Ben squaring up to Keith and his brilliant wrapped Danica car and Ash with his eyecatchingly fast but slightly crash happy Lifelike. Jamie proved very quick and Ben was driving very well being just 4 years old.

Next up were Jon, Simon, Gareth and Paul. Jon and Simon put in some huge scores, Paul was consistent across three lanes while I struggled with my new chassis and played with a Turbo for a heat!

Group Three had Andy Player and John both scoring massively to go straight to the A Final, Duncan driving excellently well to get into the B and Aaron on his debut also driving supremely well.

Deborah, Neil and Alex were in Group Four and the headlines were all about Alex who grabbed the opportunity the holidays offered to get the Junior pole from Aaron with some very fast driving indeed. An interesting choice of yellow lane for his final made us look forward to that C Final later on.

Finally we had Corey (nice to see you back), Grant (Ben's Dad) and Tony on track. It was Tony who was the most consistent of the 3 with some nice steady drives.

Finals

Deborah, Corey and Ben stepped up for the F Final but while Corey and Ben engaged in a wonderful scrap in blue and red lanes respectively, it was Deborah pounding round in white who pulled out a four lap lead and took a commanding victory. Corey held on to finish just 3/10ths clear of Ben who should definitely feel very proud of his efforts.

The E Final was an all Lifelike affair with Ash, Paul, Grant and Deborah stepping up. Ash in white was nearly half a second quicker than the other three cars (it really is a very rapid chassis!) as he aced the heat by 3 laps from Paul. Grant did well to hang on to Paul and remained on the same lap while Deborah did well to stay with Grant.

The D Final was one to forget for me as I repeatedly crashed in turn three. Aaron had no such problems as he took on Ash. Ash was the quicker of the two by a measly 0.03 seconds but a couple of crashes left him slightly too much work to do as Aaron motored to a massive 28.70 laps from Ash's 28.05 in yellow. Two laps back Tony came home 3rd after one of his best showings so far. Good stuff Tony.

The C Final would see our Junior winner decided for the evening between Alex and Aaron with Neil and Jamie on white and blue. Neil dominated the race in terms of laps but Jamie's pace was right up there, just a few crashes causing him to fall short. Excellent debut again. Meanwhile Alex was not enjoying the yellow lane as much as he had earlier but he had the measure of Aaron to ensure that he picked up that all important medal. Well done Alex!

In the world of step ups, only three auto qualify for the A Final and it was Jon who found himself on pole for the B Final this time out. Despite a few crashes, he managed to get nearly 31 laps in white lane from Duncan who put up a huge fight and was in the lead for several parts of the race. Perhaps the pressure of the title fight is affecting Jon now? In 3rd place Keith completed a brilliant evening's work with 24.75 laps while behind him Neil came home 4th. It is interesting to see that only Ash in the D Final was able to make the step up from white to yellow really work for him.

And so to the A Final. John got away well from pole in blue from Andy and Simon who both had the bit between their teeth. John opened up a comfortable gap through the first minute while Andy sought to put pressure on Simon whenever the latter crashed. Unfortunately Jon's car visited Andy's lane and when the rider finally crashed, Andy followed suit and Simon got past and back to 2nd place. Meanwhile a late off for John led to frantic "Blue lane please" calls as his lead was rapidly eroded by Simon who was now the fastest man on track. John got back going in 1st and was able to retain a 1 lap advantage to the end of the race from Simon in 2nd, Andy a scant 8/10ths back in 3rd and Jon having a crash happy time in yellow finishing 4th.

All this has set us up brilliantly for November with Jon and John tied on 340, Andy and Simon tied on 300 and holidaying Mike on 230 in 5th. So if John or Jon win the last race, they are champion. If Andy or Simon win the race and John and Jon finish in 3rd and 4th (either order) then it will be decided on countback. And let's not forget that Mike will be one of the favourites for the November win too as reigning EAHORC Nascar champion and with a 90% win ratio in that series as well. But then again it was John who beat him in the one race Mike finished second. And Andy's car will suit the upcoming road course better than it did the oval, perhaps Simon's will too! I cannot wait!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts