SlotForum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Get set for the first round of the 2015 WHO Championship. We commence the year with our fast and furious Modified round. All the rules can be found here.

Lots more to follow.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
There have been no changes to the Mod rules this season so once again, the championship will be for full Modified cars or you can compete in the subclass which we call Tuners. Tuner cars must run with a hard body (no lexans) and with the stock magnets.

Modified Chassis:

Tuner Chassis:

Jon is our reigning Modified champion after a brilliant hat trick of wins at the start of the season.

But it was Tony who took advantage of the car breaking chaos of the final round and took the gold in October.

Stephen is going to be one to watch this season too after claiming the Junior title last season and being a constant presence at the sharp end. He also came oh so close to the win in October too.

Meanwhile in Tuners I was fortunate enough to claim a clean sweep of poles, wins and the title last season but I put that down to having had the most experience running similar cars at the Nationals. The title fight this year I think will involve Duncan, Simon and a few others who definitely seemed interested in Tuners at the close of 2014.

Very exciting stuff.

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Currently I just have a bag of bits that once were my 2013-14 Mega-G mod

Hopefully I'll have time to put something together...

My Audi Mod and SG+ Tuner are ready for loan action - first dibs goes to people who came along for the first time at our World Championship event just before Christmas. It'll be exciting if we get a few new WHO racers from that day.

We'll also be handing out certificates to the top three in all eleven 2014 championships. Here are two of my favourites...

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Nick. And good luck to you guys on what I'm sure will be another very exciting season at DHORC.

I would like to make the return trip at some point myself but with sprog arriving in June, it will either have to be soon or at some point next year when the wife gives me my racing license back! All I can say is that I will be there eventually!

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found out today that I'm babysitting on Wednesday so I won't be there unfortunately. Jon is a bit hard up so he won't be there either sadly.

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Oh Gareth, that's really bad news - both our reigning WHO Mod and WHO Tuners champions missing the first round of the season

We will keep your certificates safe and ready to pick up at a later date.

Simon has been busy designing some track plans for the first half of 2015. This is the layout for Wednesday's race:

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
27 on the WHO Mod grid tonight including nine new racers who'd come across us thanks to December's Scalextric World Championship event at the Barn.

Before we got underway, all last year's champions, runners-up and third place finishers received a certificate...

Simon's track was a peach - I hope it was enjoyed as much at Yelling as it was in Goring-by-Sea...

It was a fascinating night's racing...

We had the battle of the rookies (won by Richard), the battle of the Tuners (won by Simon) and the battle of the McCanns (won by Mike).

The A final saw Andy step up to join Mike D, Tony and John.

The start of the final was bizarre, but the race was enthralling.

Huge congratulations to Tony on his second WHO Mod win in succession and to Callum for yet another junior medal.

Many thanks to everyone who helped pack away in record time so the 700 club could catch the last bus into Worthing

More pictures are up on Flickr.

A full report and video will follow tomorrow, together with the first points tables of the year - not entirely necessary after just one round, but it wouldn't be the same without them...

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Race report

The start of our sixth season saw a fresh-looking driver line-up at the Barn with many of our 2014 regulars confined to barracks. However, we were joined by a sizeable new intake of WHO recruits, all having heard about the club thanks to the Scalextric World Championship event in December.

All in all, we had twenty seven racers on the grid, with nine rookies. A couple of the rookies blagged a WHO Mod car to share, but most used club cars giving a WHO Tuners grid of ten.

Simon has designed us some great tracks for the new year and the season opener was a cracker - long and fast, with plenty to think about in every lane. The verdict was a double thumbs-up.

Stephen did a great job giving all the new-comers driving lessons during practice and, after a brief certificate presentation for last year's top-dogs, we headed into the heats.

Tony - our last WHO Mod winner - was the early pace-setter with his very rapid Super-G+. Both John and Mike kept pace with the Bognor bolide and that was our top three at the half-way point. Simon was top Tuner.

Not much changed in the second run-through, except everyone got faster. Mike took pole, followed by Tony and John, and all three seemed happy with their lanes for the A final.

Finals

It was the first time in a while we had an I final. Ewan, Brad and Ryan battled it out with the Life Like club cars. All three had driven very well on their debuts, but it was Ryan who was the class act and he made full use of blue lane to win by two and a half laps ahead of Brad and Ewan.

Ryan stepped up to face Matthew in the H final, with Timmy and Val having had to head home early. Again, it was blue lane that seemed to offer the smoothest drive and Matthew bagged the win.

The G final was our first glimpse of some WHO Mod cars, Alan showing the rest of the field a clean pair of heels as he finally clicked with his on-loan Audi Mega-G Mod car. Deborah's GT40 Turbo Mod took second by a whisker from Barry, who'd squeezed everything he could out of his club car. Matthew made do with fourth after his step-up.

Alan put on a good show in the F final, eventually taking third ahead of Bob. Bob will be running his Nascar in the Tuners championship for his first full year at WHO. The battle for the win was the fastest of the night so far, with Corey's determined drive leaving Daniel stunned.

Corey was oh-so-close to repeating his win in the E final, this time taking on the other McCann twin, Stephen. This was a four-car full-on Mod race and included two A finalists from last time - Stephen and Aaron - together with Keith and, of course, Corey. The final split into two exciting battles, Aaron pipping Keith to third and Stephen just about holding off Corey for the win.

Up in the D, Duncan's WHO Tuner Super-G+ was up against two McCann Turbo Mods and rookie Richard's Audi Mega-G Mod. A McCann show-down is always a race to savour and this one didn't disappoint, despite both drivers being walking bio-hazards, infected as they were (and the rest of us will be) by a particularly unpleasant man and boy 'flu virus.

After two minutes of high speed thrills and spills, it was Mike who prevailed. Stephen wasn't far behind, Duncan took third with an excellent drive and Richard fourth and top rookie by a long distance.

Mike was truly in the groove and he went on to win his second final in a row, the C final. Trailing behind the Grande Vitesse of Goring were a dazed Neil, Jamie and Simon who all set scores that might normally have been enough to progress. Simon took top points for the Tuners championship with his very impressive GT40 Super-G+.

The B final saw Andy pull away, control the race and take the win. The battle behind was intense. Mike had a quicker car, but was caught out too many times by the trickier bits of yellow lane. In the end, Darren took second by a lap, with Mike third and Callum picking up the junior medal with a smooth drive to fourth in the final and seventh overall.

The top three - Mike, Tony and John - had been in a class of their own all night. They treated us to an exciting finale. The start was bizarre, John getting away, Mike's BRP controller breaking it's wiper arm and Andy's car losing the ability to go round corners. That left Tony hunting down John, eventually overtaking him, but John holding the gap to just around half a lap.

Behind them Mike was on a charge, having plugged in a club controller. But he has several laps to make up. Meanwhile, Andy had retired after diagnosing the problem with his car - the front of the body was catching on the track.

As we moved into the closing stages, John refused to let Tony get away. However, try as he might, he couldn't pull more than a few hundredths out of Tony's lead. Tony wasn't letting the pressure get to him and his race to the flag was faultless.

Nonetheless, Mike was driving like a man possessed, taking seconds a lap off the leading pair. Had the final been another 30 seconds long or Mike had got going quicker at the start, he would have been right up in the mix. Ifs and buts are all very well, but at the chequered flag Tony took the win, John was just over half a lap down and Mike about the same distance back in third.

Massive congratulations to Tony on his second WHO Mod win, showing that last October's victory was no flash in the pan. Our 2014 Rookie of the Year is now a championship contender. Congrats also to Callum on an incredible nineteenth junior medal.

Thanks to everyone for their help in making it such a good opening race to the season. Round two is Nascar - but before that we have some Scalextric digital racing in two weeks time.

·
Registered
448 Posts
An interesting start to the season, as mentioned in Andy`s report I was slightly "under the weather", meaning that my head and trigger finger were about 4 weeks apart in reaction times!!!!!!!!!! After trying 2 lanes I switched to a car that was stuck down a little too much so that all I had to do was hold the trigger down. This tactic worked a bit too well as in the D final the object was to BEAT THE BOY,,,,, nothing else mattered.
So after disposing of boy 1(also known as Stephen,,, Daniel is boy 2 but so far down that it would be no fun beating him!), it was on to the C final.
A simple plan just trundle round finish 2nd or 3rd then home for a cuppa-----Plan A was going so well with Neil about a lap ahead with 30 seconds to go, the DISASTER yes the unthinkable happened before I could register what was happening Neil`s car was on the floor I was going a lap up and the chequered flag was waving.

How could such a perfect plan go so wrong???????
So onto the B final and not only did I have flu to deal with but now vertigo was kicking in---add to that a slight body modification when the roof of my car caved whilst applying lane stickers so a perfect final was all lined up! The lights turn green everyone roars off the start line,,,,, apart from one white car that has now decided to start CLACKING!!!! So I have gone from Team Big Mac to team Maracas McCann!!!! Oh the shame but at least it gave Darren something to laugh about.
If this works there are a few photo`s from last night here https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

·
Registered
299 Posts
Tip-top start to the 2015 season at the barn...

Thanks to Andy for getting everything up on the forum quick as a flash..

Some new faces and a cracking track design from Simon,liked the fact that SCHORC ran the same track and thanks to Al for providing comparative stats....

Congrats to Tony on his 2nd mod win
...and good to see Callum back on form...

My stageIII controller suffered a dry soldered joint on the sprung bearing of the wiper arm and snapped off
at the first pull of trigger,leaving me standing on the start line
and in the time it took to work out the problem and swap out the controller, the field had long gone...

Onwards to Digital Team NASCAR...

see ya there

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
That was a disaster Mike. It is repairable?

These are the excellent comparative stats Al put together from Wednesday's two races - exactly 100 miles away as the crow flies...

Not forgetting the SCHORC Mod cars are running hard bodies on their MR-1s... although our WHO cars must run 6 ohm arms.

·
Registered
448 Posts
~Thanks for the Gurning Andy but I took the pic of you with the camera to show that either
1 Your facial expression never changes or
2 You concentrate as much when taking pics as when racing...
I know wich one my money is on

1 - 17 of 17 Posts