SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Andy Player
3,875 Posts
WHO Racing members race in the EAHORC national series one Sunday per month from September to July. Our club will host the final round of the 2011/12 season on Sunday 1 July, at the Heene Community Centre.

Seventeen WHO racers took part in EAHORC events last season, and there were plenty of WHO successes, including coming second in the Club Championship.

Robin picked up a trophy for winning the F1 race in October and John won the Modified race in May. At the end of the season, Gareth picked up the Rookie of the Year award (the John Brown Memorial Cup), plus Robin won two 'minor' championships and Gareth one. There was more silverware - with Gareth and Andy picking up trophies at the HO Grand Prix in May for finishing in the top four.

An EAHORC meeting is like two WHO Racing events back-to-back. Practice starts at 9.30am and racing at 10am with the F1 heats and finals. After a break for lunch, racers decide which one out of 4 classes - Nascar, LMP, Modified or Pro-modified - they will race in during the afternoon. The 4 classes run in mixed heats and then separate out for the finals. The day usually finishes around 4-4.30pm. You can always choose to race in one session or both.

WHO Racing F1 cars will be competitive in the morning - Mega-Gs must be set up with an EAHORC front end and EAHORC-legal silicone rear tyres. If you don't have your own car, club cars are available. In the afternoon, club cars are available for the Nascar class, although Robin or Andy can lend you a car for Nascar or Modified.

This thread will be where we report back on club members' exploits in the national series. EAHORC has a page on this forum too, click here to read more.

The 2011-12 EAHORC calendar is as follows:

Sunday 4 September - Yelling, Cambridgeshire
Sunday 2 October - Marlborough, Wiltshire
Sunday 30 October - Chatham, Kent
Sunday 4 December - King's Lynn, Norfolk
Sunday 15 January - Norwich, Norfolk
Sunday 12 February - Ipswich, Suffolk
Sunday 25 March - Marlborough, Wiltshire
Sunday tbc April - Chatham, Kent
Sunday 3 June - Edmonton, North London
Sunday 1 July - Worthing

So who's up for doing a whole season next year and help WHO Racing win the Club Championship? If you can manage half the rounds, you could be in the mix for one of the 'minor' trophies at the end of the season. And if you've never raced at EAHORC before, you'll be eligible for the Rookie of the year award and join all-WHO line-up of past winners of the John Brown Memorial Cup

Let us know if you need or can offer a lift.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Andy, I would be interested in giving the nationals a crack, can`t say I can attend all of them, but I`m certainly available for the first few.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Its pants sorry guys..................Well a small village hall in the middle of a mega agricultural area..comes alive with a right load of herberts from all over the south of england.........Well, like me and my mega-g together with carlos fangdangle the controller had a smooth ride around a track with some always off corners (outside and inside lanes a couple of tighties)......Red lane for me was cooking and I found some robotic throttle action which kept me on for most of the heat posting a cracker......Noticed that andy had eyeballed my good fortune in red and he having choice played the tactical hand and took it off me for the final!!!! (would have done the same).....Could not repeat good heat action in final got a little excited..and had to many offs but it was close with the lead changing between me and andy before i over cooked it shortly before end.....durr.....Still eh, can't complain........Robins tyco again a bit of a dark horse rode its way to victory in the B final but alas theres only one lane left for the step up guy and we know which ones that!!!!!!.........................PM races i choose to out my scooby do nascar on an sg+ chassis,.....alas not had much track time with it and suffered to many offs in tight in and out lanes...but there is a glimmer of hope as i had a whopper number of laps in the red lane again......This put me in the B final with first choice and i had a good run in red.....walked back to my pit area packed up ready to go home ......Durr.!!!! Wake up boy....forgot about step up to next final....got all the gear out again and watched Dave and Robin slugg it out in the final as i watched my car getting reslotted time after time...Dave the winner did not deslot once in the final, posting a days best number of laps, impressive man.....there was not much robin could do about that kind of performance....................LMP class had its first outing and it looks very pretty..frantic action in everyones pit area swapping hubs and tyres to try and find best combo.....Simon enjoyed his day out,looking impressive in PM nascar before a cruel body detachment robbed him of good heat victory moving from first to last in the dying seconds..............THATS ALL FOLKS...see you on weds cheers....MIKED

·
Andy Player
3,875 Posts
Blimey! That's an impressive performance Mike

You've go to do the rest of the season now. I see the F1 Main Grade trophy returning to the south coast - unless you manage to win an F1 race and get instant promotion to Premier Grade...

It'll be good to think about what PM classes people run in. There are 4 options now and we have the parts and the technology to get WHO racers up and running in whatever class they want to try.

I'm looking forward to the next round at Marlborough next month:

When: October 2nd - 10:00am start, doors open 9:15am
Where: Four Lane Black Top (FLBT), Church Cottage, Silverless Street, Marlborough SN8 1JQ

Who's coming?

·
Andy Player
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Round 2 - Marlborough

Robin, John, Mike and Andy made the trip to Marlborough for the EAHORC round hosted by Four Lane Black Top.

I'm sure the others will chip in, but the highlight for me was John's stunning F1 victory in the morning

The rest of us ended up in the C final, with Robin just coming out on top after another great drive with his Tyco

No more silverware in the afternoon, with Robin getting closest to a win, coming second in Nascar.

A great day out and thanks to Mike for driving

Next up is a race on the new permanent track in Chatham - who's coming?

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
John's win is the second in Open Wheel for WHO, and the first using a Mega (the other win was Robin's memorable home win with a Tyco).

·
Registered
337 Posts
QUOTE (montoya1 @ 8 Oct 2011, 11:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>John's win is the second in Open Wheel for WHO, and the first using a Mega (the other win was Robin's memorable home win with a Tyco).

Memorable it was. Jammy also
.. Extremely.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Well, I watched the whole race and it did not seem that way to me. The other two messed up when you were too close for them to get away with it, simple as that. Qualifying was the real key.

Lord only knows how well you will do if you ever find a Monty Mega that you feel is faster than Terry Tyco

·
Andy Player
3,875 Posts
Round 3 - Chatham, Kent

It was no surprise that we saw a record WHO away team make the journey to Kent for the first race on the amazing 200ft permanent track at HONK (HO North Kent). It was worth the trip - plus we saw two big WHO Racing highlights.

The morning F1 highlight was Darren qualifying on pole position. In a very tight final, Darren took an impressive 3rd place. Next time...

Gareth just missed out on winning the 'B' and stepping up to the elite race. A formidable record of national final wins fell apart as he let Clive past him with only seconds to go. Further back, Callum was the star - beating both Robin and Andy in a WHO-heavy 'D' final and stepping-up to join John in the 'C' final.

In the afternoon, Robin put behind him nine months of hurt to finally bring back a Nascar winner's trophy from North Kent. After taking an early lead, Robin came off best from a Nascar-style 'coming together' with arch-rival David and went on to take a comprehensive win.

In the other classes, John just missed out on the Mod win; Darren, Gareth and Callum drove strongly in LMP1 and Andy has an ultimately disappointing day in pro-mod.

A great day at a great track - we're back at HONK next April.

But next up - on Sunday 4 December - we're off to King's Lynn. Who's coming?

The event thread is here.

·
Andy Player
3,875 Posts
Apologies for the break in service. It's not as if we've not had a good couple of rounds

Round 4 - King's Lynn, Norfolk

John, Mike and Andy made the trip across the fens (including a bizarre Sat Nav detour on the way home) and spent the day in a sunny King's Lynn.

We had solid performances in the morning Open-Wheel race with Andy the top WHO dog in 5th. The afternoon saw Mike and Andy do well in LMP and Pro-Mod respectively.

However, John's win in Mod was very much the WHO highlight of the day:

Some good points for the club championship too.

Round 5 - Norwich Slot Racing

This was John and Andy's annual trip to Norwich. The rest of you really don't know what you're missing

Last year Andy took pole in Open-Wheel but blew it in the final. This year he took pole and held his nerve for a maiden morning win.

The afternoon saw some solid points for John in Mod and Andy in Pro-Mod, but SCHORC took a sizable chunk out of our lead over them in the club championship

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Hi All,

Is anyone from WHO planning on going to this race? I'm up for going if there is a driver. Be good to get a few people up there and score some points.

Cheers
Gareth

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
No responses so far. Perhaps each WHOer is waiting on the others to be the one to ask around, which I guess Woodcote usually does.

WHO have not missed a meeting since their first, winning four along the way, it would be a shame for that run to end...

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
QUOTE (montoya1 @ 22 Jan 2012, 12:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Perhaps each WHOer..
Ahem! That sounds like Scottish ladies of the night.

I'm in a hotel on the Isle of Wight right now but will do the personal approach next Wednesday. Pretty sure the club will be there.

·
Registered
299 Posts
QUOTE (Gareth @ 24 Jan 2012, 20:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ahem! That sounds like Scottish ladies of the night.

I'm in a hotel on the Isle of Wight right now but will do the personal approach next Wednesday. Pretty sure the club will be there.

The personal approach.....oooh er misses.....

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Mike/Gareth, good to hear from you.

My position on attendances has always been the same, if numbers are down because that is just the way it is fine, but it would be a shame if it was because of a missing nudge or bit of contact.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Deane I would love to be a position where I could become a BLUE boy at all the EAHORC meets......But small people commitments ..and "they who shall be obeyed "have different ideas on how my leisure time is expended.......So I have to remain an ORANGE boy...but would love to become a BLUE boy.....Will let you know a.s.a.p.

·
Andy Player
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Round 7 - Marlborough, Wilts

After a WHO no-show for the race in Ipswich, Mike and Andy enjoyed a pleasant and successful trip to the West Country in the trusty Berlingo.

From the off, Mike had one of the quickest Mega-Gs on the Open-Wheel grid and duly qualified third, with Andy a couple of laps adrift in fourth. In the finals, Andy managed to balls-up the 'B' - catching and passing Paul on the penultimate lap and then binning it with about a second to go. Paul won by less than a foot (aka 30cms).

No such dramas for Mike who turned third place on the grid into a second place finish and so planted himself firmly at the head of the Main Grade championship. A big shiny trophy beckons

The afternoon threatened to be Mike's last go at LMP if things didn't go well. Easily second in the heats behind an untouchable Andy W, Mike very nearly pulled out a winning performance in the final. He reeled in and overtook Andy with seconds to go, only to be caught up in an unfortunate crash going onto the main straight. Andy just slipped past. Mike should be back in LMP next time.

Andy's new pro-mod venture had a second outing on Sunday. The Wizzard Storm had a couple of upgrades and was blisteringly fast. Three top scores and pole position was not bad in a strong field. The final was an awesome battle between Andy and Jon - Storm vs G3 - and neither let up a notch over the entire 3 minutes. Andy just hung on to take his first Pro-Mod race win and mark the first time a Wizzard car has won in the class.

The next Eahorc race is just up the road in Chatham, Kent at the UK's only permanent HO track. The race is on Sunday 29 April and includes the HO Grand Prix. More details on the Eahorc thread. Racing will be FREE to celebrate ten years of Eahorc

Do let us know if you want to come along. Andrew, Hannah, Darren, Callum, Andy and John are all aiming to be there. Who else will be joining us?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts