Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, courtesy of Matt Tucker and Pendle, Scalextric Release Dates
we now have some release dates for eagerly anticipated cars.

I was wondering how many of you will be leaping on the Mercedes Challenger Bandwagon?
I am pretty sure I will have to have one, in spite of my liking for poor old Pacer!

·
DT
5,195 Posts
I have ordered one, but plan ASAP to move the technology to another car if possible. I don't feel like racing a pace car around the track.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Its may be a better question to ask who is not going to purchase Challenger?

The question as put though will provide for a much, much longer thread.

Count me in.

Moped

·
Premium Member
5,393 Posts
QUOTE Its may be a better question to ask who is not going to purchase Challenger?

That'll be me then.

Can't think of anything worse than chasing a pace car around and around.

Muppetry, pure muppetry.

·
Registered
773 Posts
...no pacecar for me either - if I need such a car to chase, I just place some tape on the rails before a curve to simulate braking with a controller an let a mag-car with constant power do that job - it's almost free and works since years for me.

·
Registered
209 Posts
QUOTE (moped rider @ 20 Oct 2003, 01:55 PM)Its may be a better question to ask who is not going to purchase Challenger?

The question as put though will provide for a much, much longer thread.

Count me in.

Moped
Thought about buying a challenger, but probably won't bother now, found a new star driver in the making... my little boy who's nearly 4... He has been asking to play with the slot cars for a few weeks now, so on Sunday out came the track along with 6 or 7 different cars... I can see the long winter afternoons being a lot more fun now...!!! His sister, whos 2 1/2, also had a go but kept getting bored after 1/2 a lap and decided full throttle was much more fun resulting in a few monumental shunts!!! (Ouch!)

I think we have at least one idea what to get him for Christmas!!!

·
Registered
714 Posts
The track taping trick is a good one but a little messy and certainly time consuming.
While I do agree with the comments that a safety car is not the ideal candidate for this job and that transplantation to other cars should be a priority, from the point of view of using it to provide competition against which to pit yourself and improve techniques, I guess it isn't over-ridingly important.
After all, no one else is likely to be watching!
I'm still concerned about there being only two levels of programmed skill compared with Pacer's great continuous variations and I can't help but think that development of Pacer might have been more useful. Nevertheless, I will probably succumb to temptation and buy one of these, if only to find out what it is really like first hand. The best deal may well be to buy a Challenger set which gets you an extra car and track etc.
I'll think about this carefully over the next few weeks.

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
QUOTE His sister, whos 2 1/2, also had a go but kept getting bored after 1/2 a lap and decided full throttle was much more fun resulting in a few monumental shunts!!! (Ouch!)

Ask BSN about his daughter, Mini BSN and the new Ford Focus Police car !

·
John
1,340 Posts
SMASH!!!

the worst thing is altough the shell is smashed, the internals and glass are all smashed ..........

The bloody siren still works!!

BSN

·
Registered
773 Posts
@ Mini - I place the tape over the rails so the motor does not receive power like you're using your brake. I fear I've to make some pictures to explain - english is not my native language and for some specific technical terms I suffer the knowledge to translate

Power supply is a constant 12V - the breaking and acceleration of the car is just controlled by the taped sections. I'll explain it to Swiss tomorrow so he might answer in a more understandable way...

Using this "tape-pacer" I had no problems with any car the last 15 years....

Cheap and reliable solution!!!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
It sounds as if Mini BSN is practicing to become a fully fledged Scalextric QC tester.

That tape trick was described by somebody else. You put some insulating tape over one power rail at certain key points on the track to create an isolated section of track, at the lead in to a curve for example, and power is cut to the car. It has to slow down. It cannot do anything else.

As the car glides around the corner unpowered the tape stops and the car powers up again.

With a practiced use of the tape all around the circuit you will be able to run a car on full throttle all the time and never come off. Different cars will require different tape patterns of course but practice will make perfect.

This is ideal for young entrants to the hobby.

Give it a go BSN.

You may find that Mini BSN starts beating you with his version of "Challenger" that you have created for him.

Moped

·
Premium Member
5,393 Posts
Just been poking around the Scaley site and I note that they list a spare Challenger car to be available separately, but it too is a Merc Pace car.

Did we ever get to the bottom of whether the system needs a 'line of site' to the control tower (still think it is a laser gun post from Command and Conquer) from the flashing light box? Or is the roof mounted box not used at all for the system?

The blacked out glass suggests that there is a circuit panel mounted where Mr Blobby should reside. Does that mean folks attempting to shoe-horn the system into their other race cars are going to be thwarted?

Still, at least Aussie V8 fans will feel at home with the glazing.

Edited for typos.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
My understanding (incomplete) is that the roof light is necessary to house a sensor and that this was the reason for selecting a Safety Car as the recipient of the technology.* In which case, the Command and Conquer Laser Tower probably does need to be able to 'see' the car. Challenger is scheduled for pre-Christmas landing in UK and might, hopefully, make it into shops before Christmas.

* I seem to recall some wit suggesting Mr Blobbyhead is being remodelled, with an even wider girthed cranium, with a view to fitting the Challenger electronics in his otherwise echoingly empty skull!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
This is a relpy to a question that has appeared on the Scalextric chat board:-

Adrian Norman (16/10/2003 09:34:00)

There's a lot of interest in Challenger and I for one can't wait to use it. Here's the story:
1/ Challenger will work on any lane.
2/ Any number of lanes can be used with as many Challenger cars as you like.
3/ One control tower will control all Challenger cars.

Xtreme Scenario! : Eight lane circuit - 7 challenger cars and YOU! Could you win? We'll have to wait and see!

Happy Racing or Collecting,
Adrian Norman
Scalextric Enthusiasts Web Community
Hornby PLC

Moped

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What would be VERY interesting would be to see what variations there were in the CHALLENGERS!

Sod the expense - get 8 Challengers and relax!

I like it!

That will be a nice, round five hundred quid, sir - oops!

Now what have I left in my piggy-bank . . .

1 - 20 of 28 Posts