SlotForum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Every "Challenger" car will have identical performance. The computer chip will see to that. Remember the car learns the track. It is not down to power variation or whatever. The car will determine for itself the optimum speed and even motor and magnet variations can be discounted. That optimum will be the same for each car on a given racing line. It is the racing line that will determine the differeence, so at long last the age old argument of which is the best lane will be resolved.

WOW!

Fantastic eh!

Moped

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
QUOTE Fantastic eh!
Yes . . . if only it were actually true.

All components, whether mechanical, electrical or electronic, have intrinsic manufacturing tolerances.
This is, sadly, an unavoidable fact.
In use, these built in variations . . . vary!

Power availability WILL affect performance.
If the chip requests a couple of volts that are not available because a power supply is struggling, the motor simply won't get it.
If a motor is below par compared with the norm, it doesn't matter what the chip intructs it or the PSU provides it with, if the poor thing can't perform as requested.

Computer control can most certainly help to even things out, but 'identical performance' remains an unattainable myth.
That certainly would be the 'Holy Grail' of engineering, in any form.

Dammit, I think I will order a Challenger today!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I have engaged brain.

Production tolerances are not applicable when a computer ship controls the car. The chip will determine optimum performance and will take into account engineering manufacturing tolerances.

The only real variable will be the grip of the tyres on the plexy track which should be the same for each car if the tyre compound is identical.

That is my logical thinking anyway.

Moped

PS this was posted after Tropi's meassage above and Tropi does make a valid point!

Surely though its not so much power availablity as how much power each motor can draw?

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Sorry Mope, but your
QUOTE computer ship
has hit a bigger iceberg than the Titanic.

I work with computers and computer controlled machinery and . . . how can I put this gently . . . you are talking idealistic, uninformed twaddle. (sometimes known affectionately as complete balls!)

Regardless of the simple examples already given,
even the chips themselves are blessed with intrinsic factory production variations.

I am sure (well I hope!) that we will get very similar peforming Challengers, but identical is a pipe dream.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Dreams? Pipe Dreams!
Reminds me of Weirdly and his love affair with Mary Jane over at SCI!

Yes, we all tend to put perhaps too much trust in cumputers, sometimes to the detriment of commonsense and real-life experience. Caution is advized and we certainly should not believe everything we read, especially not marketing blurb.

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
The visual image of eight of these boring toys wondering around a track on their ownsome, taking their cues from some miniature Dalek is a very depressing one.

Behold, the yawn of digital.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts