SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whos getting ready for Wrexhams meeting at the end of Jan .Ive been checking out some of my older Rally cars for the non magnet event ,Ive just dug out my SCX Stratos which hasnt seen daylight for a few years any one else bringing some vintage rally cars should have fun the last one was great

Graham

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
mag GT, mag Touring and no mag rally.

oh I will see about no mag rally as all my cars seem to be WELL off the pace however as always, I have an idea! woohoo!

right, *scurries off find more cars from somewhere*

Rob.

·
Ric Woods
817 Posts
All ready to race and lose! Matt, you might need to prepare mentally for those @*!!ing karts as well! Agh! 'Orrible!

Mooster

·
Registered
60 Posts
QUOTE (rr3.9 @ 5 Jan 2004, 02:30 AM)Me! Me!

D'OH! I'll be there anyway

FWD car is "in-build" already....

-Rob
Hi rob
I am coming to wrexham what motors do you use I race at pendle and preston we use V12's and scale auto's and also what type of Gts do you use.
thank's mark

·
Registered
752 Posts
Hi Mark,

Call me unconventional, but you can check this out with Graham Windle and **** Lord, because of numerous factors, having a high power motor is not an absolute necessity at Wrexham, indeed there's alot of mileage in std mabuchis.

However
If the high power route is the one you'd like to take... The Scaleauto 35k Mabuchi and the Fly Plafit style motor have the right sort of torque characteristic for our track. V12s tend to have no advantage over std motors at our place....

A final tip... choose a gear ratio for braking and acceleration NOT top speed

-Rob

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im sure Rob will agree there havent been many cars round wrexham faster than my ferrari 333 which is powered by a rather old and somewhat tired fox it just handles so well and is geared perfect for the track.I found our enduro car to be hard work with the v12 ,as it was hard to use the available power with the level of grip afforded by the sport track,(with out mags)

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
ohh we know mark.. has one of the green 911's used at the enduro am I right?

erm, yeah Rob's right.. Grah, what was your 333 lapping? I have 2 maybe 3 cars that will sink well into 7 now
both will be fired up and raced.. then again i do have other sensible stuff.. must sort out that golf though eh Rob?

Rob.

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Low 7's about 7.25-7.30 I think .The cadilac should be quicker but might not be as easy to drive Ill bring em both and "Black Hole 2" but I dont think youve enough amps to run it.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Although I'm not involved, this intrigued me
QUOTE .. and if you wish a front wheel drive car, no scx with the rear pinion removed though!
Are you really running a front wheel drive class and, if so, why the exclusion of the easiest way of producing a fwd car?

I'm interested because I have never tried it.

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tropi last time I tried just removing the rear drive from an scx it was pretty poor because the font wheels dont make good contact any way,My metro described else where has continous contact for both wheels and guide due to the iso fulcrum type design athough Rob says it should be plastic(sorry I have a super glue alergy so its brass) but maybe one of the early team slot audis with the bands removed might be ok I will have to dig mine out and try it .

·
Registered
752 Posts
QUOTE Are you really running a front wheel drive class and, if so, why the exclusion of the easiest way of producing a fwd car?

The idea behind the fwd class, is to promote some level of scratchbuilding, be it a completely new chassis, or an adaptation of an existing rwd car to fwd, also... preliminary tests of the 4x4 to fwd conversion of an scx rally car proved that idea to be somewhat less than effective

It's only a bit of fun to let one's engineering creativity have a little free rein

-Rob

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I fully approve of this!
Around about 1966, I managed to scratch build a brass chassised Oldsmobile Toronado with front wheel drive, power courtesy of a Mabuchi 36D in side-winder configuration. I had been mighty impressed with the original - something like 345 bhp to the front wheels via a CHAIN drive! So my beast was intended to reflect similar eccentricity. I seem to recall my monstrosity frightened a few people at the Pontefract Club, including me! It obviously wasn't as effective as a rwd car and, as no one else would support a pure fwd class, I appear to have started to convert it to rwd, but didn't complete it before moving away to slot car wasteland. I still have the sorry shell and the start of the rwd chassis. But the body is split to the devil and I'm not sure it will ever see a track again. So many years later, I can't for the life of me recall how I ever cobbled it together and made it work at all in its original configuration!

I don't have a pic unfortunately. But I do have one of its stablemate, a Buick Riviera using rwd. This brute has never seen a track either. I only include it, for a laugh, as an example of the horrible work I was capable of in those days, including the nail varnished paint job! That's a Champion Black Power motor and a Cox guide mounted on a sliced up Champion drop arm. I think the front wheels and inserts were commandeered from my Revell 250 GTO and the rear alloys are tyred with some digusting pastel coloured foamies of the day. Wankel may be pleased to see that I didn't attempt to ink in the shut lines, although I suspect this was because the vile vac form body hadn't actually got any!

If I could get decent bods for either of those particular cars, I wouldn't mind having another crack at the fwd setup.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts