SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What makes the Fly slot cars so much louder than other brands? Most of my cars are scalextric and they are whisper quiet compared to the Fly cars that I have. Actually, my Monogram Corvette makes the least noise overall. I just bought the Fly BMW 3.5 CSL and it drives great and the level of detail on the car is awesome, but it is so loud. My guess is the gears may be very tight. Any advice or tips on how to quiet these cars down? I oiled the gears, engine and bushings already. It makes a small difference in sound, but not too much. Thanks

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I think you'll find that the Hornby and Revell cars are so quiet because they are sidewinders. The mesh is smoother and therefore quieter.

If you want to quiet down the inlines, run them in some more and put some grease on the gears.

Lotus

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
ideally for gears, the pinion and spur gear should be of different materials. Fly choose brass for the pinion and plastic for the spur. This is a noisier combination than nylon-plastic which scalextric and revell-monogram use.

Fly cars get quieter with use as the gears wear in. To speed up the process I have taken advice here to use toothpaste on the gears at first, and then later grease the gears. The toothpaste lets the gears grind each other mildly so that they mesh better (quieter, and more efficiently).

The brass/plastic choice is still a little louder than the other makes, but much quieter than a new fly car.

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
I always thought it was on purpose!!!!

These cars were never eardrum friendly now were they?

Are you now telling me it isn't done on purpose by Fly ?

And before some smart arse tries to tell me the real things made a thoaty, buttock clenching roar - imagine the noise in 1/32 scale!

Anyone remember Pinky and Perky songs?

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
The real source of the noise in all gears is in poor design and matching of the tooth profiles. Some makes are a lot better than others and are correspondingly quieter. I have an ancient Monogram, over 30 years old with all metal gears and it's very quiet indeed. SCX tend to be pretty noisy as well as Fly and some Nincos put on a fair show too. They make Scalextric and Carrera seem whisper quiet by comparison, even the inlines.

Once the noise is produced, then it's down to the thin cheap nasty plastic sheets, euphemistically called chassis, that can amplify the noise very effectively, rather like the soundboard of a guitar. The car body then plays a part too, though generally lesser.

One of these days I am going to squirt a canfull of pressurised polyurethane foam up one of my Fly cars to see if it will dampen things down a bit!

But, yes, running/bedding in is the answer, though some cars take a huge amount of it. Bedding in can certainly be accelerated by toothpaste or other mild abrasive or even the flame under the gears method which actually reshapes the teeth.
It's risky, though several people are expert at it.
Anyone for Fly Flambée?

·
Registered
8 Posts
So aside from the running/bedding and or toothpaste and grease a solution would be to replace the brass pinion with a plastic one with the same number of teeth, however, I can't seem to get the Fly pinions off. They're glued or somthing so tight, it won't budge. Anyone tried to remove the brass Fly pinions?

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
to remove or attache pinions to motors, really you should always use a gear puller/pusher tool, so as not to strain and damage or destroy the motor. I use one made by ninco, there are a few makes available, and I think they are less than a tenner. It does get Fly pinions off, its just tight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have found the reason the Fly BMW 3.5 and alot of other fly cars are so noisy is because nothing stops the crown gear from being pushed hard against the pinion when making left hand turns.

Placeing shims or washers between the right rear wheel and the chassis prevents the crown gear from being pushed hard into the pinion gear and removes most of the gear noise.

If you have it shimmed properly the rear axle will have a very small amount of play in it and the cars gear noise will be consistant when turning left or right.

If there is any gear noise left after doing this ( I like some gear noise to hear what the car is doing on the course) the rest of the noise can be eliminated by using toothpaste untill quite, then flush with water till all toothpaste is gone and then apply a touch of plastic compatable white grease to the crown and pinion.

Scott

·
Registered
714 Posts
Very good and comprehensive advice.

As long as your racing rules permit this of course!
It can be quite fiddly to set clearances properly due to the common use of push-on wheels and contrates, but it does keep the price low (perhaps should say less expensive!) What is a little surprising is that some makes and models are significantly quieter than others EVEN when the shimming is not present and, in that case, it must reflect back on poorly designed or poorly manufactured gear teeth in the noisy makes. It's my experience too that Scalextric and Carrera are among the quietest of inlines, though there may be others that equal them.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Hi all.
I was playing around with a Fly Panoz last year, trying to get some extra go out of it, and I discovered that the shaft used to extend the motor shaft on the front-engined cars had a larger diameter than that on the motor. Pinions taken off this shaft were a loose fit when offered on to motors and I couldn't substitute a Ninco rear axle because the shaft wouldn't fit into the slot in the gear that keeps things centred.
Fly crown gears obviously had a wider slot which was therefore also a sloppy fit when Fly axles were used on other cars.
I think that Fly have continued to use these gears indiscriminately on both front-engined and mid-engined inline cars and the poor fit contributes to a noisy gear mesh and less efficient performance on cars with a standard inline chassis layout.
That'll be $0.02 please.
Lowrider.

·
Registered
549 Posts
QUOTE I just bought the Fly BMW 3.5 CSL and it drives great and the level of detail on the car is awesome, but it is so loud.
Does it really matter?

QUOTE less efficient performance on cars
Does it really make any difference?

I do not post this as sarcasm, I really would like to know if it means that much!!

Aaron

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
does the sound matter?

To me its not just the volume of sound, but quality. When new, some (but not all) of my Fly's just did not sound like 'happy machines whiring away', but had more of a 'something is wrong' kind of quality (imho). Toothpaste and time has sorted most, tho on some I have replaced pinions and crown gears, which has aliviated the issue.

The products give me a lot more pleasure when they are sounding right and/or nice - this is not necessarily the same as 'quiet'

·
Registered
714 Posts
QUOTE That'll be $0.02 please.
That's about the cost of a lousy fitting and poorly designed cog wheel!
Good ones don't need to cost any more.
All that is required is that the dimensions are right instead of wrong.

For the non-technical, yes it does matter.
Excessive noise is the sound of improperly fitting parts grinding bits out of each other and wasting energy. It results in reduced performance, premature wear, probably early failure, its audibly irritating and it isn't necessary, as exemplified by those manufacturers whose products aren't excessively noisy.

Just a tiny point - how often do we hear complaints of stripped Scalextric gears?
I'd suggest it's a very rare occurrence indeed.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
To redress the balance, I have had 2 instances of poorly fitting scalextric pinions - the hole was to big so they slipped on the motor. A different problem, but still a gearing problem (one on a toyota F1, I can't remember which other car had it).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have my track layout outside on my covered balcony in my condo, so I don't want my neighbors thinking I'm Freddy Kruger up to no good or something when I race my Fly slot cars. Great advice on this forum regarding my concerns. My BMW does makes a different noise when taking a turn vs. a straight so I need to place washers between the right wheel and the chasis.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Intergrali, what Fly cars do you have that have no problem with the gears? I'm interested in buying another Fly car and it'd be great if you could list some of the more quiet Fly models. Thanks

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
I love them loud. Makes it sound like real racing. The whisper-quiet Scalex and RevMono cars are far to quiet so racing them is like watching rabid goldfish in a tank...all very hush-hush. Make slotcars more noisy, I say

·
Premium Member
5,675 Posts
Gotta say, I've never noticed any of my Flys be noisey. Certainly not my Beemer - almost as quiet as a my Scaly Lola which seems to run in permanent 'whisper' mode. Not like some SCX cars. Blimey, my yellow TT sounds like a loud old bag of nails. Yet more recent SCX purchases have been much quieter. Go figure.

An early Venturi of mine does make a squeal when the power comes off and the anchors get thrown out, though.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.