SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eyewear Jewellery Metal Ceiling Circle

I noticed these for sale, aluminum and brass crown gears. What would be the practical reason to swap these into a ThunderJet?

·
Rich Dumas
4,139 Posts
I can't think of any good reason for using a metal crown gear in a pancake car. Even the original Aurora gears last a very long time, even if you run cars with rewound armatures. A metal gear, especially a brass one would weigh more, people that are looking to get more weight at the back of the car might use a tungsten rear axle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
These are used for high performance drag racing where the normal plastic type would be stripped of its teeth. They are usually used in the 4 gear chassis along with the aluminium top plate and metal gear train.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Twin power supplies (one for each lane) at 10-amps/26-volts (variable up to 30-volts) pushes the unlimited HO class of 4-gear cars over 60-mph in about 15-feet. Plastic crowns won't last not even one run. The unlimted 4-gear cars all need brass or steel gears up top too. All the plastic gears go to the slower stock armature classes.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Twin power supplies (one for each lane) at 10-amps/26-volts (variable up to 30-volts) pushes the unlimited HO class of 4-gear cars over 60-mph in about 15-feet. Plastic crowns won't last not even one run. The unlimted 4-gear cars all need brass or steel gears up top too. All the plastic gears go to the slower stock armature classes.
Such a small motor drawing over 200W is mind blowing.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Such a small motor drawing over 200W is mind blowing.
It's either going to run super fast. Or it will light up like a flash bulb and melt the body at the starting line. They are all close to blowing up when they race unlimited cars.

And another thing... An unlimited car can easy eat up $200 in a heartbeat. When my fellow racers informed me of the risks of racing unlimited cars? I said "Nay, nope, not for me. Too expensive and risky". These guys are winding armatures way below 2-Ohms. It's NUTS!

When it comes to organized club proxy drag racing. I will go as low as a 5-Ohm armature. They only cost $5 or $10. I prefer the less expensive classes thank you. They almost never blow up.

Such is the life of a low budget drag racer. Like the song says "I'm on a low... budget!". :cool:(y)

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I am but a little wee beginner among these older giants. I'm still watching and learning. Crawl before you walk. Walk before you run, sort of thing. I'm still crawling on all fours.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Has anybody been shot by a flying slot car? 😂
Not that I know of. Wise racers don't usually hang around the finish line or catch-box when these races are held.

Aerodynamics and/or chassis failures (losing a wheel) can sometimes cause a car to leave the track before reaching the catch-box. If the car hits the back wall, it will surely leave an imprint of the car in the drywall. The car usually gets destroyed in the process. Two traction magnets are a must.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
With drag racing, isn't traction magnets a bit of a spoiler? Without those, you'd need to control your throttle to not induce wheel spin. With traction magnets, it's more of a toggle switch which I heard some use (but in my opinion should not be used)...

·
Registered
201 Posts
With drag racing, isn't traction magnets a bit of a spoiler? Without those, you'd need to control your throttle to not induce wheel spin. With traction magnets, it's more of a toggle switch which I heard some use (but in my opinion should not be used)...
In this class there's so much power that the magnates are a must I think. Without them there would not be enough traction unless you add weight, which would be counterproductive too.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Proxy drag-racing is full power from the starting line for both lanes. No feathering can be done. Traction magnets are a must as Glock pointed out. It's more of a builder's race.

Manofkent is actually one of my friends and mentors from NitroSlots. I was not aware until now. I've asked him to post a pic of his purple Javelin. It's incredible.

Cheers,
Ken

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Marvelous machines!

So with the proxy racing ship them to the UK? With some funds for shipping back? Or is it a one way trip? I suppose depending on the car value. Thinking about it more, do you do brackets so the car can go on a tour?

It would be fun to buy a Hobby Lobby AutoWorld car do some tuning and send it on its way.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts