·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why is everyone on heres answer to a high mag car either:

A:throw it in the bin

or

B:de mag it

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
eh, it maybee dont work very well on a club circuit, but on a home circuit.......... makes life so much easier

·
Gary Skipp
6,476 Posts
they probably enjoy racing low mag cars.

I aggree in the aspect that just accelerating aimlessly and flying around a course at 500mph regardless of corners is not much fun for me, it takes the skill away.

However, if you enjoy racing high mag cars then thats what you enjoy, and you shouldn't be discrminated for it.

I think the majority of members here are avid club racers, who will always prefer the thrills and spills of braking points, drifting and powerslides. But for anyone, having fun is the most important aspect of our hobby and we should all respect that.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Well mine, isn't! I loved the two mag and any motor class at Crypt it was a hell of a buzz!

And then on the other hand, I got out my old HO stuff over Christmas, scrapped all the magnets, added some blu-tack to weigh them down a bit and had fun coming out of all the corners sideways.

WARNING - START OF PERSONAL OPINION!

For me racing Scalex is a bit of light relief from BSCRA racing which is my normal interest. This doesn't mean I regard Scalex as 'lesser' (as I know many Scalex racers think this mindset is endemic in BSCRA and similar racing circles) but I do appreciate being able to have cars which are nearly zero maintenance. Magnet cars for me fit in with this since the magnets mean they generally work on plexi-track with little or no fettling. I don't have time or that much inclination with "fixing" cars that don't behave out of the box since I'd be better off spent working on the BSCRA cars. I confess to being quite disappointed with the first few Scalextric cars I bought post-BSCRA racing in how they basically weren't fit for purpose when i tried to drive them on the Oaklands wooden track and came very close to giving up altogether.

So I don't mind the magnet cars. They suit me. I could learn to develop non-magnet cars but in all honesty there's too much demand on my time at the present. Your mileage may vary.

Feeling guilty now since I have visions of this becoming another of the magnet/no magnet bashes we used to see on SCI!

OPINION ENDS HERE - WE NOW RETURN YOU TO YOUR USUAL PROGRAMMING!

Coop

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
because you can turn round eat a pork pie and be in the knowledge that you are going to win the race, now tell me that isnt boring!

·
DT
5,195 Posts
You can't say QUOTE everyone on here

I know of quite a few people that run with Mags. I for one have my mag cars and my non-mag cars and I enjoy both. I perhaps even use my mag cars a little more than the non-mag ones.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I run mag cars on a home track, some of them quite high mag. They manage scale speeds of 210-275mph, and I don't have any that can be full throttled around the radius 2 curves. Any slower than 210mph and the cars look like they are going on a sunday drive ambling round the track, so unless I can get non-mags going faster than that, I won't bother

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
I also run a variety of mag cars on my home track, and like Astro, none of them will take a rad 2 or even rad 3 curve at full throttle.
I enjoy trying to get my cars 'balanced' - trying to get as much grip as possible without slowing them down. But mainly I like mag cars cos they suit me and they suit my track (Scaley Sport), and I'm having FUN!
Some people may disagree, tastes and skill levels vary, fair enough. But I enjoy what I'm doing so I'm gonna keep doing it!
It does get a bit tiresome when some (not all) of the no-mag fans keep knocking mag racing. Not everyone enjoys the same thing, and the apparently condescending attitude gets really frustrating, so guys give it a rest -PLEASE.

Rob

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
What is great about this Forum is that there is very wide basis of opinion and between us we cover every aspect of the hobby. You do what you enjoy and that is all that counts. I reckon there are more home or non racers here then club racers? We all have opinions on what is best to get the most out of the hobby. I`m not sitting on the fence as that`s not the way I am, but our club covers the lot in both Junior and Senior racing. That to me is the whole point of it, do it all and have a great time doing what you enjoy, it`s all playing with toy cars and harmless

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
I race both mag and non mag and as i have said many times before it takes a different set of standards to set up and drive a fast magnet car ,to me it is the hard bodied version of wing car racing . Last year i put out a challenge to every one to beat the lap record I set at preston with a magnet car so far no one has come close ,sure the car is stuck down but not so stuck down that it wont let go when you push it too hard ,its just a matter of balance between horse power and traction.
I dont want to sound Pro magnet because really im not but as coop stated Its a hell of a blast to run one of these things against the clock , but it is unfortunate that when several race together the carnage caused can be horrendous where as non mag is a more gentlemanly sport (unless you race with **** and inte )

(Packs soap box and goes away)

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
QUOTE unless you race with **** and inte

what could you possibly mean by that Grah?

Grah, I'm building albeit in my head, will be ready so i can use it at preston after porker challenge, although I think I will suffer from not enough power

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
QUOTE (Intergrali @ 23 Mar 2004, 20:51)because you can turn round eat a pork pie and be in the knowledge that you are going to win the race, now tell me that isnt boring!

...prefer sausage rolls myself, each to his own

I like driving non-mag cars best but I reckon mags are well suited to any post '78 ground effect or high downforce car. I'm OK with both

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
I think the main reason for the always apparent Forum rants -'mags are better than non mags' -'no they ain't' is that Magnet Racing is alot more prevalent in the USA than it is in Europe, I don't know why but it seems to be accepted fact.

I personally think both have their place although I draw my personal line at cars which refuse to leave the track at full speed because they have 200 magnets in them. I also fail completely to see the point of cars such as the Wing Car - can't see it it is so fast and it will drive on the ceiling without magnet. Not for me, I prefer to see my cars and the detail.

Racing without magnets means alot less damage in a crash usually and, when well set up, some non mag cars will out run an equivalent mag car in the right hands.

HOWEVER! to my way of thinking, some cars simply do not suit non mag racing. I HATE seeing modern F1 cars fishtailing round the track, same for most recent LMP cars, these need the extra grip that magnets provide if they are to look realistic and still give some speed.

anyone else care to join in?

·
Premium Member
5,399 Posts
QUOTE Not everyone enjoys the same thing, and the apparently condescending attitude gets really frustrating, so guys give it a rest -PLEASE.

What?

QUOTE ...makes life so much easier

What?

[Sweeping generalization - akin to saying "everyone on here"]
Magnet boys are delicate to criticism and crave easy racing.

I have to say ( no, I do, I have to. I'm opinionated and love to share) that to date I thought this board had been remarkably easy on the mugnut debate. As someone points out, things used to get very heated over at SCI.

I really dislike mugnuts but they are here to stay and I'll race 'em as and when required. I don't think them easier to race. They're different to race. The scale speeds are stupid but running them is a different sort of fun and it makes a change.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
hmm, ninco have it right, just enough and went you push too hard they do slide, but you can get it back unlike some cars

mags is for me and thats what I intend to race

·
Registered
392 Posts
Hi all, I also run mag and non mag cars; now I race mostly of the time at our club, and there we have mag and non mag races. I like them both really, but IMHO non mag is hard to learn for newbies. You cannot take a model, remove the mag and go on the track, but you have to work, try and re-try as you master the art and meanwhile the car is often off the slot
; when you have understood how to balance the car you begin to enjoy non mag racing, and if your friends will help you, the learning curve will be shorter.

Ciao

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi

Magnets make it easy for the manufacturers to build a fast easy to drive car. That is good for business. And, as has been pointed out, they crash harder and with more damage; and THAT is good for business!

Folks who know me know I do magnets just fine.

However, here is a "speed secret". Magnets are good for the manufacturers because it lets them get away with even poorer quality. Without magnets, they are even WORSE than they used to be. If you want to WIN a race with your "stock" "no maintainence" "ready to run", the best thing you can do is pull the magnet!
Then drive the car, decide what they did wrong. Usually this will mean a crooked axle, sloppy bushings, out of round wheels and tires and poor gear mesh. Fix THIS STUFF, and you will be astounded at how good your car just got when you added the magnet back in!

Fate

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
If I can use an F1 analogy here, and I think I can, then magnets are like traction control and automatic gearboxes: they make the cars faster and easier to drive close to the limit. They make the cars slide about less and, by inevitable conclusion, less fun to watch and play with.

Both are a form of outside assistance and as such easy targets for criticism. That's not to say you cannot enjoy them.

Scott

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
It`s like riding a bike with stabilisers. Nothing wrong with that but as a matter of progression, non mag racing is considered more advanced in terms of skill level. To make an informed decision as to which way you like to race,try both. I can honestly say that until I tried club racing I didn`t try taking the magnets out of any of my modern cars. To get the most out of a relatively small home circuit that probably twists a fair bit , magnets make sense.

To pick up on a previously posted point, there is not one Scalextric car that is competitive as a non mag car on a club circuit, not one. Now there`s a challenge for the troops

1 - 20 of 30 Posts