SlotForum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
If i go to some local shops and ask for advice of wht to buy i get all diffenrent answers. One says Carrera, the other Nikko. Can anyone tell what is the best and, very important, Why?

Thanks,

Raimond

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Hi Raimond. Welcome to SF!!

Well the advice on what to buy depends on what you plan to do with it. Do you just want to set up a track on the lounge floor now and again or are you looking for a more permanent layout? Go club racing? etc. etc.

See if you can provide more details and then SF members will gladly offer advice.

Mark.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply.

As i said i'm less than rookie. But what i want is to build a track wich has the possibility to change. F.i. different F1 circuits. that means the possibility of extending tracks (can you extend? and till how long?) i want to add lapcounters and pittstops to make it more strategic. the possibility to pass your opponent, changing lanes??
I'm definitely not looking for tracks/brands wich you can drive full speed from start to finish (cheap ones), and not the most expensive ones i want to find out if i like it enough to invest. Also important is which variety the manufacture has in his accessories.

It would be great if you could help me.

Raimond

·
Premium Member
4,791 Posts
Sounds like you're the kind of guy that the new Digital layouts were designed for, raimond.

Having just made the swap from Scalextric to Carrera I'd say that it's probably your best all-round bet. It's nice and big, and if you're not going to build a permanent setup on a table then it doesn't feature the slots in the bottom of the track that seem to have been purpose designed to pull carpet fluff up through them and wreck your motors!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
If you choose Carrera track (built to take 1:24 cars, hence nice and wide) then the other brands of cars (scaley, Ninco, SCX etc. ) will run on it no worries!
SCX F1 cars tend to be slower than Scalextric, magnet or not. I would hazard a guess that most mains-powered tracks will not allow you to drive at full speed everywhere; the cars will fly off, especially if you use some of the tighter corners!
Tracks can be extend to practically any size you have room for, although you may need to have some "booster" cables connected to the far side of the track to make sure the power doesn't drop off.

Mark.

·
DT
5,195 Posts
What is the best? Hmmm

There are big changes underway right now in our hobby. Hold off buying track for a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Personally I don't like Carrera as a home track; it takes up more space since it is 1:24, and to me it seems less grippy than the other makes. I use Scalextric sport, which I am very pleased with. I believe SCX has the widest range of track types though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts