Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Greg Gaub
14,645 Posts
If the oXigen cars have the new type b chip, or the older chip plus a bridge rectifier, AND they are put into SSD compatible mode, AND they are set to car ID 1-6, they'll work with any SSD power base, old or new. The same preparation must be taken for any use on an SSD track where you want the SSD base to count laps for the slot.it cars while also providing power and control to standard SSD cars.

If you meant something else, please be more specific.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Mr F

So if I have a SSD track how would I go about converting it to be a SSD OXIGEN Hybrid,

I would like to run 6 pace cars in SSD but control the others with Oxigen ?

And would PCLapcounter work for that ?

Thanks

Michael

Ps sorry for thread hijack lol.

·
Greg Gaub
14,645 Posts
If you wanted to run 6 individually controlled pace cars, you would need oXigen based lap counting for those cars, as you would not be able to set any of the O2 cars to the SSD IDs of 1-6.
If you were ok with 6 fixed speed SSD cars on the same SSD ID, then you could have 5 O2 cars on SSD IDs 1-5.

The thing is, for SSD lap counting to be responsible, you can only have the 6 different IDs in play. Using oXigen's ability to go beyond that will require oXigen's lap counting hardware (the dongle) and magnets under the track for those cars (7 and up) to register laps.

For your scenario, you'd need the same things as I mentioned before. Yes, PCLC would work fine. PCLC will also work for oXigen based lap counting. What I don't think it can do currently is combine the two. But, you could have the SSD track working for 6 pace cars, while simultaneously running a "pure" oXigen race on the same track. I say pure 'cus it technically wouldn't be, but you could run the full 20 cars on the same track using oXigen lap counting while the SSD cars are flying around controlled by the SSD base. You would still need the bridge rectifiers in all the O2 cars, in order for the AC power of the SSD track to give the chips power, or wait for the type b chip (which is what I'm doing), and it's smaller anyway.

If you were to want pure oXigen function on the SSD based track, it would be a little easier, but no pace cars. You could just pump straight DC power to the rails, no PB-Pro or APB in the way of the PSU. The oXigen cars would still need to be in SSD mode for the LCs to work. SSD mode just tells the O2 chip to emit the IR signal for "straight" when it's not wanting to change lanes, which is different from pure O2 functionality. But, you'd have the rest of the O2 feature set.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
So SSD could run 6 pace cars

Then with a dongle and magnets the rest would be Oxigen ?

Ok that would be easy to add to a track with little expense but the cost is in each cip controller and cartridge for it

·
Greg Gaub
14,645 Posts
Yes. The only caveat is that the first type of O2 chip has no bridge rectifier, which is needed for the O2 cars to get power from the SSD powered rails. The type b chip will have a built-in bridge rectifier.

Yes, the biggest cost is in the controller with O2 cart, and then each in-car chip.

·
Greg Gaub
14,645 Posts
Been fine.
Still want to race with you guys, but won't be in the area in the foreseeable future. :\
The type b chip is not available anywhere yet, but I believe production is starting and they'll probably be available worldwide by the end of the year. Just a guess, though, not official or insider info. ;-) I'm not an insider, just an avid watcher. ;-)

And no, there won't be anything needed to be done to an SSD track or lane changers. The only thing to do is make sure the oXigen car chip is in SSD compatible mode so that it emits the IR for both straight and change. The default oXigen mode uses a slightly different technique, which makes SSD lane changers change, but not go straight.

·
Greg Gaub
14,645 Posts
That is correct.
BUT!
That's only if you want to run SSD cars at the same time.
You can still use the track as a pure Oxigen track without the bridge rectifier in the cars, or changing anything about the track. Just put the SSD base into analog mode, and crank the pacer(s) to 100% power so that the rails have full power. I haven't tested this myself, not having an oXigen anything yet, but in theory it should work.
You'll still need to put magnets under the track for O2 lap counting, though.

·
Vendor
2,912 Posts
Hi.
Mr.F nailed it down precisely yet again!

I think we should release the rectifier bridge. We have them ready anyway. A future version of the type A chip should really integrate the two systems (AC/DC) like we are doing in type b, as well as having easy LED on wires soldering pads and Hall sensor on a connector and not soldered in. For the time being we need to keep a and b in production for mechanical reasons.

You may want to read the following manual
http://www.slot.it/Download/oXigen/Manuals...iptionO2.en.pdf

Actually there's an Easter egg in your chips already, read at page 10 of the above

·
Registered
16 Posts
So now, no need to have oxygen LC ? It works with Carrera LC ?
We can have for example pace cars in D132 and Oxygen race cars together ?

·
Vendor
2,912 Posts
You can run a oXigen car on the Carrera track as if it was a Carrera D132 car, with the exception of start/stop features. So, if you have a fully working D132 system, yes, you can run O2 cars alongside D132 ones. I'm not an expert about Carrera pace cars but I see no problem.
An O2 car setup in Carrera D132 mode works with Carrera LC, provided you have a Carrera D132 power base.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts