SlotForum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would love the ability to see more cars on track especially for those massively big tracks shown on the other thread. Also, having the option for more cars would allow for some "drones" to spice up the overtaking or allow for a pace car.

Taking a punt I would not see Scalextric thinking there is a market for it, but with some of the experts on here we have seen upgrades such as PB-ro that we never thought possible.

Will more cars ever be a possibility with maybe 2 powerbases in use at once (master and slave?) , I would love to have a proper touring car race or big endurance race...

·
Registered
41 Posts
IMO no, they will not. At least not for a long time.

The wire protocol actually allows for more than 6 cars, but if you make your own powerbase and send instructions for car7 then all of the cars freak out. It would require new firmware on all of the chips (or replacement chips), which would fragement their market.

If their chips ignored "higher than 6" cars signals then it would have been fine, as new chips could allow higher IDs, but this isn't the case.

·
Greg Gaub
14,657 Posts
There's also the problem that sending all the car control signals on the rails like the system does has a limitation. Just adding one or two more cars might work out, but after that, the frequency of the signals for each car become too slow (too few signals per second) for lag-free and accurate racing. That's why all the "club quality" systems use some kind of wireless signal direct from the controller to the car. The rails are only giving power to the cars, all the control happens over the air. I'm not 100% sure, but I think DAVIC uses wireless in some fashion. If not, then something other than rail-code, I'm sure. Scorpius and oXigen both use wireless to the car. This allows the system to have close to 100 cars. Rather than have such a high, almost impossible limit, they've both divided them into 3 parts so that you can have three tracks each with 20 cars in the same club location without interference issues.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
Greg - since wireless seems to be the only way forward, does that mean that with new scaley wireless controller (Awallace is working on) we might one day see more than 6 cars on the scaley digital track?

·
Registered
150 Posts
No, because all those controllers will do is feed the throttle/button data to the PC and back into the powerbase through SSDC.

·
Greg Gaub
14,657 Posts
Rick is correct. It's still regular SSD control, you've only cut the wire and put a wireless bridge between the controller and the base (the bridge being Andy's black box and the PC).
If you're an SSD guy, like me, and want to break the 6 car barrier, your best bet will be oXigen, as you can mind a budget and move into oXigen while maintaining your investment in SSD hardware. Because I haven't got a few grand sitting around and a desire to sell or give away all my SSD in order to change over to something completely different, I'll be picking up an oXigen car chip and controller cartridge (I already have a slot.it SCP1 controller) as soon as they're out. I'll also be getting the wireless controller adapter thing when those are out so that I can wirelessly control SSD (or any other car) with my SCP1, even without a computer on.

·
Joel LeNoir
952 Posts
I asked awallace this very same question. He said.............

"I don't think that 12 cars is possible. The firmware in the powerbase only supports 6, and the power required would mean that you need to almost completely rebuild the system. For your kind of application, I would seriously look at something like Scorpius."

I also asked about anti-collision.(something I am interested in)He said................

"Anti-collision is best handled at a lane changer. The IC in the lane changer simply needs to say "has a car passed recently? If so, disable lane changing." - job done. I can see that happening at some stage, without the use of PC software."

I did not realize that oXigen will support more than 6 cars.... Need to read oXigen's Very long topic.
Joel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts