SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Williams FW07 and Lotus 78 chassis are being propotyped by Shapeways and should be available in 10 days or so. I will post the usual how-tos once I have them.

Cheers
Andi

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Hi Andi
Have I got this right ,that front part of the chassis pictured mates up with your drop gear chassis rear end as used in the lotus 72
and is suitable for wide pod late 70s cars like Williams fw07 and lotus 78

cheers tony

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Its designed to fit straight into the Fly Williams or Lotus, More or less,I would say and uses the Policar gearbox. I don't think one chassis fits both cars-they are a bit different,I would imagine. Its a sensible alternative to that daft "anglewinder" chassis. I used a 3D/Policar set-up on my SRC Ferrari 312T4 and it has improved performance considerably. I would thoroughly recommend it.
TED...

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi guys yes this is the front part of the chassis that will fit directly to the Policar gearbox. The whole then fits in the Williams or Lotus.

If you look at the how to thread on the SRC Ferrari (the Renault is different and more complex), you will see how it all works.

The only thing that isn't completely clear yet is that obviously the Lotus and Williams bodies are very different and so each will have a different chassis. The one in the picture above is the Williams. The Lotus will be similar but different in every way! It will also come with the low mounted exhausts.

As soon as I have them I'll post some photos.

The only other thing to be clear about. You will need to trim some of the non visual pieces of the original body (like part of the bottom of the driver cockpit box for example). This is a necessity in order to make things fit so if people want to keep the body in 'collector' condition don't do this conversion. These changes are all internal so externally no difference will be evident should you want to return to the original.

Hope that makes things more clear.
Cheers
Andi

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some work in progress photos showing the prototypes.

These have integrated skirts to make the car feel as low as the original was.

The Williams is now ready so just the time to get it uploaded to Shapeways. The Lotus will have to wait until tomorrow....

Cheers
Andi

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
Exquisite ........ I think I'll go for the Williams first as it looks to have enough room for an easy digital conversion.

I have been able to fit a digital chip into the Policar Lotus but I need to work on it a bit more to make it fully functional.

·
Track Master
75 Posts
Hi

Can you elaborate on the two types of material the chassis is available in?
I see they are available in plastic white/black and Metalic Plastic (alumide)
Is the Metalic Plastic stiffer or heavier?
Thanks
KK

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi KK, thanks for your question. I've done a little research on the Shapeways site and the metallic grey seems to have a density of 1.36g/cm3 whilst the white and black only 0.93g/cm3.

So it looks like the grey will be about 30% or so heavier. I am not sure whether it is stiffer but would guess that density in this context would equate to resistence to flexing.

I have to say that as yet noone has ordered one in the metallic grey so its a bit of an unknown property. I put it in as I thought it might look nice and the SRC cars had silver chassis.

If you or anyone else does try it do please feed back about it.

I hope that helps thus far.

Kind regards
Andi

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Apologies if this is not the right place to ask but if anyone completes the Lotus 78 conversion and does not want to keep the original front suspension/chassis assembly, I would happily buy it and of course cover postage costs. I have a 78 with a broken steering rod and would really like to repair it without having to buy a complete car.

Many thanks,
Philip

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Its a flaming nuisance if we can't get the Policar gearbox! My Renault is on my workbench now... I hope stockists will increase their orders-especially if Andi keeps coming up with the goods....Perhaps the demand has taken people by surprise. Chassis for the M23 and 312T2 is a good idea-if you can find a 312T2. I'd like to have a crack at all these chassis but lack of funds is the prob-as I'm sure it is for most people-does anyone want to buy a kidney?*
TED...

*Actually, forget that-they are both shot....

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
Can I add a request for a chassis to fit the Fly Williams FW08 as well please.
I had the real car in my workshop for a while.
I have a photo of my wife sitting in it pretending to be Keke Rosberg.
I'd love to be able to build a raceable version of this car.

Actually Andi, I think there are enough F1 cars needing one of your chassis to keep you busy for several years.
Cheers.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It is of course a pity that shops are selling out. At the same time it sends a clear message to them to keep stocks up. I believe the parts are available and will come through although I cannot guarantee any time scales.

I will try to understand what the time scales are.

Andi

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have just done a bit of a search and european shops still have parts available....

Mondoslot.com and criccrac to name two that came up easily but I'm sure others are also stocked.

Andi

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
QUOTE (stoner @ 7 Feb 2016, 15:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>brilliant, but where can I buy a complete policar rear end-pod, every one seems to have sold out or on backorder. John

I noticed that some of the big retailers now have all the parts back in...

Cheers
Andi

1 - 20 of 24 Posts