SlotForum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Bob Chapman
6,948 Posts
Andi I received my last batch of 4 chassis today from Shapeways. I must say the quality is outstanding .
I have copied your build Instructions on my tablet. I cant wait to get started on the SRC 312, and RS10, and the Fly Lotus and Williams.
All I need is to get my dungeon back. Great work on the designs sir absolutely top notch.
Bob

·
Track Master
75 Posts
I received all 4 of my chassis in Metallic Plastic and painted them with several fairly heavy coats of Flat Black.
These are a great balance between strength and weight.
I've assembled all 4 with stock gearing, Fly FF050 motors, alloy wheels and Urethane tires and I must say they all run wonderfully.
No weight required and Swiss Watch precision!
Thanks Andi, keep them coming. My shelf queen SRC Renault and Ferrari and Fly Williams now compete with any scratch built brass chassis 70's F1 car I've built to date to the same specs. The Fly Lotus 78 was workable "as stock" but none of my Fly Chassis cars run like these do. The instructions posted were also quite helpful.
I'll post pics when I get the inserts completed.

May I suggest a somewhat modern Modern F1 chassis offering or two.
These new Chassis's and pods with a hot motor could propel modern F1 cars to new track records!
Modern F1 cars should be FAST, really, fast, maybe the fastest cars in ones collection, but anything outside of the All Slot range is not very workable unless you scratch build or brace, but let's face it, that's not in everyone's wheelhouse. It's also no where near as easy, or as simple to do a chassis swap with go fast parts. The four 70's cars I just assembled with wheels, trued tires and independent front axles took about 8 hrs, where as one scratch build would have taken me about the same amount of time.
Maybe an All Slot compatible chassis that uses the Policar pod (something for a generic body). I'm not sure but it's possible one of the major manufacturers like SCX, Carrera or Sclextric are generic enough up front to try? Maybe this is of no interest to you? LOL

Anyways, just wanted to say thanks and keep up the good work.

Cheers
KK

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
That's great news KK.

Oddly we seem to have been having exactly the same thought re modern F1!!

I was in a children's toyshop in Bond Street last week getting something for my son and had a quick look over the slot car area. It was populated by the Carerra range and being an open wheel fan I gravitated to the modern F1's.

Simultaneously I decided over the winter that it was time to change my negative thinking about modern F1 and just enjoy it for what it is. In fact the race this morning felt really exciting without entering it with the usual cynicism....

Anyway so I got to thinking literally yesterday that I should investigate the performance of those Carerra cars. They are just £30 after all and they had the Ferrari, Red Bull and Mercedes all there. Not sure if they do the Williams which would be my favourite but if not I could paint one.... Although not as beautiful as the old cars to me I thought why not have some fun? What I don't know is whether these cars already go well? Without magnets? What sort of wheel/tyres I would need?

Anyway lets see what I can come up with when I get back from holiday soon....

Cheers
Andi

·
Track Master
75 Posts
Hi Andi

Great minds think alike I guess! I enjoyed the race this morning as well.
From what I hear and from owning some of their F1 offerings in the past is that the Carrera F1's suffer from having the guide pivot behind the front wheels.
Sort this out, which you will, and you probably have a winner. I run on copper tapped routed tracks for the most part and gave up magnet racing some time ago. Other than the guide lead issue I remember my old Carrera F1's ran particularly well but were no match for the Scaley's with the FF050 motors that our club currently runs. We also created an F1U (U-for Unlimited) open class. Nothing really exists other than the All Slot cars for the Non Scratch builders in the group and these run well but there's room for improvement here. Anything with a Policar pod, for any brand, would be a step in the right direction when it comes to Modern F1 cars. Carrera's price point is always attractive and they are readily available almost everywhere as are the SCX cars in this part of the world. What we're doing to them is not what they were really intended for so everything other than the body shell would pretty much be a throw away, parts bin or resale item. I look forward to hearing and seeing what you come up with.

Cheers

21 - 24 of 24 Posts