SlotForum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got it on ebaby,,,, has armature that is 5-40 threaded,, now i know you could probably put some vintage 5/4- rims right on it,, but it looks like it could use some gear reduction,,, it is not a big torquey motor, like a Kemtron Mustang or Pittman 85,,,,,, I have never seen a threaded pinion gears.

I thought about tapping an 1/8 brass pinion and threading it on the armature and running it in the direction that would tighten the gear.

I would entertain all ideas or experiences regarding this motor
thankd
Daryl

·
Administrator
9,792 Posts
Daryl,

I've had a couple of these for years, but have never dared to try them on the track. They're obviously made for direct drive (maybe dragsters), and I've always meant to try one, but... Very different type of motor from the Pittman padlocks, so it may have some torque anyway (circular magnet).

The easiest way to try this if you want gear reduction would be a set-screw 1/8" pinion, which should be pretty easy to find - if you tighten carefully hopefully you won't ruin the threads too much if you later decide to go back to direct drive!

Let us know how it works out. The only Wilson motor I tried, many years ago, didn't really set the house on fire, but that's not much of a sampling to really judge them.

Don

·
Registered
166 Posts
I remember setting one up by simply drilling out the pinion gear so it slips over the thread and sandwiching it between two nuts, in other words put a 5/40 nut on the motor shaft, slip the pinion and the lock it down with another 5/40 nut. I probably used as small a nut as I could find for the lock nut, like a Strombecker axle nut. Never had a problem with this set up. You probably will have to use a 10T pinion just so it is big enough to drill it out, so use as big a crown as possible , 41T if you can find one, and the wheels are big enough to let it clear the track.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts