SlotForum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. Anyone out there know a decent way to rectify the poor fitting vac form supplied with my Teamslot Opel Manta? Just finished the body and its not great, but it is my first resin build and the glass is a terrible fit. It really spoils it. Any thoughts would help... Its a shame to leave it the way it is.

·
Jon Grainger
3,825 Posts
Hi Phil,

Welcome to the joys of Ocar kit building

The only way I have ever seen it rectified is by creating your own. The most accurate way is by making a window master, which can then be vac-formed. I'm in the process of doing this on an Ocar Capri. Take a solid material, and place behind the window. This can be made from scrap wood or plastic. Then blu tac in place. Next use Milliput and fill in the gap, and build it up until you are flush with the window. Use a very sharp, fine blade to cut gently around the edge, and remove.

Allow to dry overnight, then gently sand down the edges till smooth. You will the need to make the whole mould about 1 mm smaller, all around, to compensate for the plastic you will vac form. Then sand the top face, until smooth.

Then, vac form the mould, and hey presto! If you don't have a vac forming machine, there is bound to be someone local who could help, or even someone on here maybe able to help.

Regards
Jon

·
Registered
365 Posts
you might want to try clear heavy duty scotch packing tape. you stick the sticky side to the inside of the windshield. you then brush on future to the outside. clear, light, thin, fast and easy. in a serious crash you will probably trash it but it easy to make another. it takes a little bit of practice to get but if i can do it anyone can. one problem though.... it is so clear you really have to work on the interior and the driver.

·
Slot King
2,688 Posts
You can cut it out of flat sheet (Christmas card boxes are perfect).
  • The first thing is to bend it to shape gently over a screwdriver handle.
  • Once shaped, start cutting (use the existing one as a template, or make a template out of cardboard)
  • Take your time, and try for size frequently, best to go too slow than have to start again.
  • You can sand the edge to shape with wet&dry or a file.
  • If you go too far, use the bad one as a template for the next one.
  • Be prepared to get it wrong twice before you get it right.
  • Run a black marker around the edge before gluing to represent the window seal (practice on a piece of scrap).
  • Glue with PVA.
It sound daunting at first, but with practice, it is actually easy (but time consuming); and you can get really good results that way.

Let us know how you get on.

Joel

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. That's my project for the week started then! I guess I will start with the easiest and work my way upwards. Will let you know how I fare! Hmm, vac formers in New Zealand. Am sure I read an article on how to make one...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hi Guys,

Just to let you know...

After much messing I went with the idea of forming the windows out of clear plastic. Had no coke bottles so I used a razor package. After much marking, bending over screw drivers, sanding and offering up I managed to make some passable windows! I cheated a bit by using Citadel brushable super glue to spot weld in places and then finished off with PVA. I am a very happy boy and just wanted to say thanks to you all for the advice. Oh, lest I forget, one useful thing that really helped was to Dremel the roof and pillars so that I got a nice solid flush fit. I have to say I was nervous but it was easier than I first thought...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts