Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing up an old Supershells Lotus 25 for the Wolves event next weekend, and have come to the screen, which looks as though it's ben washed in cellulose thinners !
Any suggestions as to whether this will 'polish out' and if so, how and with what ?
Many thanks
Mark

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
hi mark
you may be able to polish it out with a bit of T cut if you are careful alternatively ring srm and see if he,ll send you a screen I am sure that they will still have them.

cheers tony

·
Registered
270 Posts
A dip in Klear can also help unless it's well and truly knackered. I dip my transparent parts in Klear, wick off any drips and then put it under something overnight to let it properly harden.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
I made a right hash of the screen on the Bellet (Wolves EuroJap saloons) It reacted badly to the Gloss Laquer I sprayed over the shell without removing it! Doh!

Several evenings rubbing with cotton wool soaked in T-cut cleaned the screen enough, but I managed to crack it while rubbing too hard! I'm going to vac form a new one at some point.

Simon

·
Slot Car Racer and Builder
1,718 Posts
Toothpaste works on minor fogging or scratches

DM

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I've recovered a windscreen that had a superglue thumbprint on it complete with fogging and random "marbles" and a layer of skin stuck into it by sanding the whole surface flat to the touch and then dipping in Klear about 3/4 times.

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Handy to hear all these tips. I recently had a TeamSlot Celica kit with a windscreen glass that looked like it had been acid etched. I used Tamiya polishing compounds on it. It was quite successful except that I cracked the darned thing giving it a final polish.

Embs

·
Registered
851 Posts
Embs, having a windscreen crack while handling is just that extra bit of realism
They always crack on that last little push, putting them in 1:1 cars

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
I don't have a good track record with 1:1 windscreens either Datto. I think my 5 cars have been through 4 windscreens in the last 18 months.

I was still a little miffed about cracking the front windscreen fair down the middle. Could've been a more decorative crack and been angled across the passenger's line of sight. But oh well. It was a rally proxy car, I'm quite sure it'll have worse happen along its journey. Somehow still managed to do ok on concourse.

Embs

1 - 9 of 9 Posts