SlotForum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Time to start indoor winter racing and as space is limited this will be build on a base approx 6' x 3' using Artin 1/43 track.
This will be a simple layout with track laid on to a grass mat over a foam baseboard.
Scenery will be pits and grandstands with some other buildings, fencing, some trees and not much else.
I would like to use classic 60's style buildings but as I will be using some modern F1 cars the buildings will have to have a modern look to them.
At the moment I am working on track layout ideas and will post drawings in the next few days.

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Hi all

I was going to build a Ho layout for the winter but maybe I bought a poor set but I just found it a disapointing experiance. I bought a Scalexatric Micro McClaren F1 set and after a good clean up i got the track working ok. The cars once I got them running were not an even match, one could be driven flat out all the time and the other one most of the time. Plus on top of the I would need to buy some more track.

I then laid out the same layout in the left over, from building Rally in a Shed, Artin track that I had and found that I could build the same layout on the same space. I already have 8 1/43 scale cars, 2 Artin New Minis with magnets and 2 American cars without magnets, 2 SCX Compact F1 cars and from a Carrera Go set a New Mini and Fiat 500. I then found someone selling some Artin track with 3 cars on ebay, collection only and in my home town, I was mainly after the cars and got the whole lot for £16. Cars turned out to be 2 Porsche and and American open wheeler. The track appeared to be from 2 seperate sets so I get a lot more bends some straights, 2 power connectors, 2 lap counters, 2 crossovers and a chicane.

Anyway on to the track. My maximum area is aprrox 2250 x 900mm with 1800 x 800 being the work area for the track. After looking at 2 or 3 flat layouts I have settles on a layout with flyover and have used the 2 crossovers to get even lanes of 7.6mtrs.

The baseboard will be a sheet of urethane foam to be covered with a grass matt. I hope to have a few buildings dotted around the track and some pits. With this in mind I have moved the s bend after the lapcounter 1 straight closer to the 180 bend and have moved the chicane to the front straight (just after the short straight in the last photo below) which is now crossover, power connector, short straight, chicane, straight.

So the build has started on a tempery baseboard.

Next should be the baseboard which I will get at the weekend.

Just as a footnote I done know what condition they will be in but I have just bought on ebay 3 Jeouf cars, a Ford GT40, Matra and Porsche GT.

I also want to get an old style train speed controller so I can run a pace car on 1 lane.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Looking good Beardy & big congratulations on buying your first Jouef cars!!!!
Please post pics!
The Porsche 904GT & Ford GT40 were the first slots I ever got in 1968...I`ve still got them!
They have the upgraded pea motor in them & perform very well.
You will need to change the tyres, type in Jouef in the Scalextric section of Ebay. There`s a seller in there called Dauremy. Cheap & great quality.
Or if you want the absolute best get Ortmanns from RSSlotracing.com

Are you making your own buildings???

Cheers
Kev
My first two slots.

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Kev,

Looking forward to getting the GT40, one of my favourite cars along with the 917K, which would appear to be the same as the one in your photo and is coming from Belgium. The Porsche and Matra appear to be the later models with the split pin front axles and are coming from the land downunder.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Hi Keith,
The GT40 was a really good effort by Jouef. It was first released in 1967 & was made until the end of slot car production in 1980. The first white versions were the best quality.
Be very careful with Jouef cars that have the plastic pins in the front wheels. If they snap off you`re in trouble.
Jouef also released a Porsche 917 during 1972.
Cheers
Kev

If you look carefully these all have different "moustaches" .

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi

I think I've finally settled on a track design and this is hoow I came to it

My first design on paper only, never built

and the second design again never built but more on this later

and the third design again not built

this one got built, not bad but nothing to technical

some of the library files in Ultimate race 3.0 don't seem to be that accurate and the Artin library is one of them. Not sure if the straights are the wrong length or the curves have the wrong radius but what you layout on screen is not what you end up with when built. In this case the the gap between the top two straights was very small. Other times the plan will show curves overlaping but when built the don't.

The next layout plan

and as it was built, again not a bad circuit

Looks like I'm going to have to continue this as photbucket has frozen for about the 20th time. This is my third go at this posting the last two times I had to crash IE as it was completly frozen.

so to be continued......

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi all

Sorry about the delay in continuing the last post and hopefully Photobucket will ne a bit more useable.

Just a small recap from the last post as due to all the problems with Photobucket I posted the wrong picture at the end.

Ok so this was track 5 as drawn

and the slight changes needed to build it

and the correct photo of it

and some closeups going from left to right

Not a bad track to drive and I could have a pace car running ok but not very challaging to drive. As long as you didn't come down the flyover to fast the Carrera and SCX cars would stay on track,

Next up was this

which was a veriation on an earlier design, just a bit longer with the extension on the left. Built and tested, Ok but still seemed to lack something.

And " Now for something completely different" as a famous comedy program used to open (Showing my age now)

Two loops within what is just an oval

Started to build it but stopped halfway throught is I became obvious as I was building it that it was just going to be throtle, brake, throtle, brake all the way round.

The next track was built on the fly and it was the double flyover track as I wanted to try out the humpback bridge as a full bridge unit. First I rebuilt one of the earlier tracks and just inserted the hump the tried it out. It works quite well and Artin have thought about cars getting stuck at the top and have recessed the track rails below the level of the plastic track to reduce the effect of magnets at the top and it works. The I added a couple of short straights to give a bridge the could be driven under.

Again nice drive but something seemed to be missing .

So back to the track designer and I modified the second layout and used the full space available, I was looking to get as long a track as possible but without being to cramped

Lane length is 8.3mtrs which is at least 500mm longer than any of the other tracks and about 1mtr longer than most. Two straights and two nicew twisty areas. The two clipped corners at the start and end of the long back stright follow the shap of the bay window this is built in and the left and right front corners also have to avoid furniture..

Ok so what id going to be driving on this track

Two SCX Compact F1 cars with strong magnets but you can get the back end sliding in a few places

Next up Carrera Go Mini Cooper and Fiat 500S with very strong magnets. Nether car wants to slide, the mini will roll over but the Fait is very hard to deslote and would make a very good pace car.

Then we have the Artin / Chad Valley Mini Coopers The Yellow one has had the magnet removed is is now undriveable, it just wants to go around in 360 deg spins. The over Mini is not that easy to drive and I can see why so many of these sets become available on ebay.

The First two Artin cars I got and both came without magnets but aren't to bad to drive. The white car has now been fitted with the magnet from the yellow Mini and is a little bit easier to drive.

Than we come to the last three Artin car I got with my last track purchase a few weeks ago. The track as a bonus as I was looking for cars.

Two Porsche and an American open wheeler, all with magnets. The Porschers are the best of the Artin cars to drive and the open whell isn't to bad but they like all the other Artin cars seem to pull to one side.

Then this week this arrived from Germany

A nice little Dslot 32 chassis which I hoped would fit my Ford GT40 kit but as it turned out it is a SS chassis which it the shortest the make so noe I need to find a body for it. In the Dslot range it would appear to be the Porsche 911 and 917K> anyone know of oa cheap 1/43 917k kit I could adapt.

Then the next day these arrive from downunder

Jouef Porsche 904 GT which run quite well

and the Matra

having a few problems with the Matra which seem to be related to the braides. I can get it running ok for a while but as the braides move it starts to stop start.

All the tyres looked ok but are rock hard and had no grip so for the moment both are running on front tyres from 2 of the Artin cars, not the best grip but better than nothing.

Now back thothe track and some close up photos

Lefthand side

the middle section

and the righthand side

Most of the cars need carefull driving around the kink at the front of the track esspecialy when on the bottom lane and the curve befor the chicane need to be taken carefully with all apart from the cars with strong magnet, atleast untill I get some kerbs on the outside.

Well thats it for now not a lot to do untill I get the new baseboard and grass mats and that could be after Xmas now.

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi all

Been a little while since I updated this post and quite a bit has happened in that time.

Nothing happened till Christmas when I installed the new baseboard cut from 30mm foam insulation board to fit in to the bay window area. This was then covered with a cheap floor underlay. As I wanted to include a pit area between the two rear straights I had to make a further change to the track to give a larger gap here which also ment loosing the kink in the short front straight. I also had to remove the lap counter after I aquired some Jouef carsThe track is Artin and the cars have a pin guide as do Carrera cars which both works the lap counter fine. SCX compact cars have a standard guide and would only change the lap counter every other lap but the Jouef cars whould get stuck in the lap counter the guide being to long to go between the lap counter pins. I have also installed a second power conector straight so that each lane could have its own power supply as I wanyed to be able to use a train speed controller to run a pace car. As the Artin track uses a commonreturn power line for both lanes I had to cut this on one connector and on the other insulate it from the nearest lane.

This is the track as built at Christmas

to be continued....

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok lets continue

This is the track as laid at Christmas and turned out to be quite a challanging drive. Lots of places for the non magnet cars to slide their tails out. Also the crossovers being between two curves makes for an easy lane and a difficult lane. When the car is on the outside lane going into the curve and crossover it can e taken as fast as the curve before allows. When the car is on the inside lane the sudden change of direction makes for great fun even with magnet cars if the entry to the crossover is taken to fast the cars have a big tail out and the stutter and are going to slow to get over the crossover gap and stop. At least each lane has an easy and a difficult crossover entry.

Next came this main stand filled with chinese little people. And these are little people as they are only 1/50th but as they are sitting it's not noticable.

And behind the main stand we find a toilet block

And a couple of smaller stands

All of these are paper buildings from carrera4fun.

This was picked up of ebay for a reasonable price and needs quite a bit of work, but at least I won't feel guilty if I give it respray and team markings.

Last weekend I finally got around to wiring a train transformer with speed contoller up for use on one lane so I can run a pace car. I have cut the power pack off from one of the Artin power connectors and they controlled output goes to the connector. I have also connected the wires from a controller plug together. This lets me run one lane controlled by the train spped controller or I can set it to full speed and still plug a controller in.

However the use of a pace car proved to be very difficault. Has pointed out above the possitions of the crossovers restricted the speed of the cars using the inside lane going into the crossover. The only option to let the pace car run at a good speed was to move the crossovers as below

But this proved to easy to drive around and the lanes ended up different lengths. So more changes were made and I ended up with this

I've ended up with a slightly shorter space for the pit lane. But the track works really will with a pace car when it is run on the red lane and is nice to drive. In fact if the two cars are closely matched you have to drive very smotthly to beat the pace car.

Talking of the pit lane today I have started mass production of the pit lane boxes, I will need 5 or 6 for the pit lane.

Will get some photos up of the new layout next time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts