SlotForum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Peter Seager-Thomas
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At long last I have more parts, indeed rather more than I had hoped.

Most of the wheels I have made have been of a pre-war nature, but since my interest in racing/sports racing cars ranges from about 1920 to about 1970, it was inevitable that I would look at a few more of the post war wheels, which have to include the Borrani wheel of the 1950's, a fitment to so many cars of the period.
There seems to have been several 16" wheels used at this time, and the one shown below is just one of them.

This wheel seems to have appeared in the early 50's, the first reference I can find being the Thinwall Special. It then appeared on some Ferrari models (Monza, TR250 for example) and one early 250F Maserati cars, and of course the 300S.

With 3 rows of 72 spokes, the earlier Borrani pattern was continued abeit with a smaller diameter. The traditional symmetrical Borrani nut was used up to the mid-50's when the perhaps better known handed 3-eared nut appeared.

The model wheels are to a degree a compromise. In order to suit the tyres available, a front rim of 5mm width is used, with a 6mm wide rear rim. Three spoke etches are used per wheel, each comprising 24 spokes. As usual, the wheel nuts are of course handed.

In progress is a 750 Monza, to show another variation of this wheel.

The George Turner Maserati is pretty standard, including the resin chassis. A beautifully clean casting requiring very little tidying up. The headlamp covers are clear castings rather than the usual vac formed parts. Detail parts are cast in resin rather than metal, and are thus very well finished.

Next wheel soon, Peter.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Hello Peter,

Very nice built. Perfect !
And of course your wheel design. Congratulations !!

very best regards

claus

·
Peter Seager-Thomas
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (bosmeck @ 25 Feb 2012, 23:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Peter - great work again. Is there a possibility of you doing some of these lovely wheels in 1/24 scale?

Hi Chris, the short answer I'm afraid is no.

Here's the long answer.
Every wheel I do is prompted by the fact that I am likely to use it myself, thus for example, it was worth the 10 hours or so it took me to draw up spoke etches for the 300S.
Making the masters for the wheel nuts took several days.
Also, for each wheel diameter I do, there will be a minimum of two tools which need to be make to form the etches into their conical shape. For the 18" wheels I have made there are five tools, all of which are used on the Talbot, but only two on the Alfetta. 3 hours per tool and a couple of hours set up.

The main reason is tooling, as some costs can be horrifying. The company which does my machining includes tooling in the per-item cost, though tooling is pretty much programming the CNC machines. Tooling for my phot-etching cost £90 per A3 sheet, whilst the most recent casting work had ended up costing roughly 1p per nut actual cost and £1 per nut tooling which with tax/shipping works out at almost £5.00 per car. It would of course work out cheap per part if I had 10,000 done!

I hope this helps. I pity really, as a 1/24 wheel could be so much more accurate, so if anyone else would be interested, I'm happy to pass on any knowledge I have gained.

Peter

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hi Peter,
Your wheels look absolute fabulous again
. I really do hope you'll find a pupil who wile invest so much work for detail and love for making these wheels. Tell him you got a very good circle of customers

Cheers,
Danny

·
Kitbasher
4,250 Posts
GT Models

There you go. Beautiful models and a really nice guy to deal with.

I have an IMP an ERA and a Talbot Lago on order to go with a set of Peter' s wheels

1 - 10 of 10 Posts