Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Peter Seager-Thomas
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the project now even closer to its' completion than its' beginning, another ramble seemed in order.

The disaster first.

With the arrival of the last photo-etched fret, one of the first wheels tried was that for the K3 MG Magnette. Originally drawn up for an Airfix (1933 pattern) based conversion, they would of course be fine for the forthcoming GTM '34 pattern car. The drawings, done on AutoCAD, are like Photoshop etc, in that 'layers' are used. Most layers I use are for drawing all of the outlines of the wheel with six layers are used for the 'fills', that is, spokes, rims, tags etc. One series of fills was accidentally drawn as an outline layer, with the result that one in four spokes was not actually attached to the rim.
I don't think I'll make that mistake again.

I still put one together, just to ensure it would go together. The problem is not obvious, even with the close up picture, though a close look at the 8.00 position will reveal the problem. Not all scrap, they'll find some use, somewhere.

The spoke pattern was very popular from the 20's to the 50's, with groups of five spokes rather than the normal three or four.

Not quite such a disaster was the latest attempt at wheels with cross laced spokes. They all came out ok, but I just can't see well enough to do the work. Thus assembly will be postponed until I can acquire one of those huge magnifying glasses with a circular light around it.

The best of the rest was the BRM V16.

The 18" fronts have this same five spoke pattern, albeit with 12 groups rather than the 14 of the K3. The 17" rears have a 3 spoke pattern. I assume these were Dunlop wheels?

In most cases when all the parts for a wheel are in hand, a set is made up, albeit temporarily, and put with the relevant parts for furure attention. The image below is of one of Grahams GP Miniatures DB4GT Zagato models. The car is sitting on a Slot Classic chassis, which GMC sell at a modest 18 Euro. This wheel is very similar to that made for the Maserati 300S.

It seems as if all Borrani wheels (of the period) have the same spoke pattern, using three rows of spokes. 18/18/18, 20/20/20 and 24/24/24 being those I have done to date.

In order to try and keep costs down, many wheels are similar. The wheel made for the Austin Twin Cam is closely related to the following two wheels, in that the rims, centres, hubs and spacers are all based on identical arts for all wheels, with slight modifications to suit, as required.

These are for an HRG. Only the top left hand wheel has the spokes arranged correctly.

This is what I think is a unique arrangement, I have not seen this wheel on any other car.

Below is a Jaguar wheel, very closely related, but different. The outer spokes are the same, the inners are anchored to the rim, rather than the well as on the HRG.

So, there was a big problem, but most bits worked out ok.

All of the later wheels I need are almost in hand, with just the DB2 and DB3 Aston Martin wheel to come. After this it is pre-war all the way, with a venture in to pre 1930 stuff for the first time.

Peter.

·
Peter Seager-Thomas
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The computer gremlins are at work and rather than losing the post when things locked up, I saved it and posted again, not realizing that the original post worked.
If a mod would care to delete one of the threads I'd be gateful.

Peter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts