Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 478 Posts

·
Andrew Wallace
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to gauge the level of interest
How many of these black boxes would you be interested in acquiring?
None - am (planning on) using Scorpius53.18%
None - am (planning on) using Oxigen / Slot-it53.18%
None - have another wireless solution42.55%
None - happy with wired throttles74.46%
Maybe1811.46%
Yes - just the one for me106.37%
Yes - will get two or three5233.12%
Yes - will want a full set of 65635.67%
What features would you like to be in the box?
Vibration for driver alerts9125.71%
LEDs for fuel levels8022.60%
Adjustable ID setting7621.47%
Rechargeable Lipo battery with mini USB socket for charging10730.23%

·
Andrew Wallace
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A working prototype of a SSD wireless throttle. It works by sending the throttle data to the PC and SSDC, then down the wire to the powerbase. Range is about 30 feet using a low power bluetooth transmitter. Currently running with a single AA battery. It makes use of the existing SSD throttle, which connects to the box line in socket. Still need to work out how much they might cost, but they are quite simple which means that they shouldn't work out too expensive.

Bear in mind that extra features make the box bigger, more expensive to make and consume significantly greater power. I know that Scorpius and Slot-It controllers already successfully cater for the high end of the market, and I don't want to compete with those guys unnecessarily. This is positioned as a low cost (read entry level) wireless solution for home use - I don't think that we should plan to have throttle or brake adjustment on the box for example.

The only drawback with this approach is that they do need the PC to be connected and running in order for them to work. I still need to do more testing to make sure that they are totally robust, but so far, it is looking quite promising.

Lets gauge the level of interest in having a batch manufactured...

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
something i am very interested in.With the new adjustments that are available with ssdc v5 and this option means no need for expensive alternatives wich are currently availale.

Plus i just picked up 4 scaley digital throttles for £20 so how long do we have to wait.???

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Nice
Any chance that the electronics & battery would fit in the throttle handle?

Rich

·
Andrew Wallace
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (RichG @ 30 May 2011, 19:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nice
Any chance that the electronics & battery would fit in the throttle handle?

Believe me I tried, but alas, no. The electronics will fit, but the battery won't. It does mean that you can just use a standard throttle and plug it in. The box fits nicely in a pocket. The red button in the video is the on/off switch.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Hello Andy, great work. I voted May be. I like the box possibilities like Fuel level, ID, but with permanent track, driver stations and autocall, I am happy using wires. So really in doubt.

Can you put the box in your pocket, to feel the vibrations ?
Can you mix with wired throttles ?
Will there be a wired version of the boxes ?

·
Andrew Wallace
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Minardi - thanks for your feedback. Here are some quick answers to your questions:
- Yes the box will fit in a pocket and you can feel the vibrations
- Yes you can mix wired and wireless throttles, although not on the same ID of course
- No, there won't be a wired version of the box

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Hi Andy
Brilliant work been wanting this for years
It will make for better racing when all 6 people are in the loft.
Will have to start charging friends soon.
the money I've sent this year or sponsors
cheers ade

·
Living the Life&#33;
11,082 Posts
Another WOW in less than a week ......... neat!

Is there a noticeable signal lag reaching the PC versus the hard-wired version? Though I don't suppose this matters if all six controllers where wireless.

I certainly would be up for some ........ six, if the price is good.

·
Digital &quot;Tea Boy&quot;
777 Posts
WOW! Is all I can say...and maybe just add a belt clip to it so you can clip it on and forget about it....

I will be interested and I'm sure Wraith will be as well!!

Awesome job again Andy.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
You guys keep raising tha bar all the time! What's next - the pit crew that automatically changes your tyres as you pit?

A def on my list of things to buy. We already struggle with not enough room for 'driver stations' at ASSC, so as Gordon has mentioned, I am sure between me/Gordon/Colin we will by buying a couple of 'black boxes'.

Can you please confirm that the stock (digital) controller will simply plug in to the 'black box'? Do you use some kind of dongle to bridge the connection between the 'black box' and the PB/PC?

Will it only work in conjuction with APB or PB-Pro too?

·
Andrew Wallace
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
At the moment, this is only working with the C7042. I will have a go with PB-Pro later in the week. I don't forsee any problems with that though.
Yes, a stock Sclaextric crontoller simply plugs into the black box. The box communicates with the PC over bluetooth, so as long as there is a bluetooth receiver on the PC, you should be good to go. Many of the latest laptops have this as default, but a bluetooth dongle (USB) isn't expensive.

·
Andrew Wallace
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE (Wraith @ 30 May 2011, 21:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Please put me down for 6 please, err, does it work with the 7030?

By 7030 I hope you mean 7030 PB-Pro, not the standard 1.5. I will work on that in the week, but am not expecting any problems there. It won't work with the original unmodified 7030.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Hi andy, I wonder if I could connect my SPC-1D to it... If you need testing ill be happy to buy one from you to test. I am already a customer of your software btw.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Great minds think alike... I've done this same thing without a PC (for 4car power base and for my AFX analog track) using arduino and xbee

Your idea is better, direct input for SSDC

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
QUOTE (awallace @ 30 May 2011, 22:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>By 7030 I hope you mean 7030 PB-Pro, not the standard 1.5. I will work on that in the week, but am not expecting any problems there. It won't work with the original unmodified 7030.
Andy,

Yes PB-Pro.

·
Greg Gaub
14,641 Posts
Oh yes... the black box plus a 9v battery stuck to the back side of a Slot.it controller - SSD nirvana.
Of course, it will need to be tested... hopefully he's not using yet another different voltage to read resistance, and that one of the two SSD compatible cartridges for the SCP1 will work.

Even if it's not compatible with the SCP1, I can see a controller modded so that the wire comes out the front or top and straight into the black box mounted on top.

In any case, good job, Andy! It's the kind of thing I tried to get a techy friend to design.

1 - 20 of 478 Posts