SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well now ......... the very reasonably priced wireless throttles that are part and parcel of Arc-Pro and Arc-Air have been around for a few years now. As yet, I have not heard of any problems with them ......... are they really that good? Do they not need deep cleaning of the rheostat slider?

The wired hand throttles previously used in digital powerbases by Scalextric have been less than spectacular, but these new ones seem to be in a different class all together. Is this what throttles should always have been like?

·
novice jazz player &
6,402 Posts
The ARC wireless throttles use a potential divider circuit (3 terminal) rather than a simple rheostat circuit (2 terminal). The potential divider approach is far less sensitive to variable contact resistance of the wiper contact so should give far better performance...

So let's see whether evidence matches theory...

C

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
The ARC wireless throttles use a potential divider circuit (3 terminal) rather than a simple rheostat circuit (2 terminal). The potential divider approach is far less sensitive to variable contact resistance of the wiper contact so should give far better performance...

So let's see whether evidence matches theory...

C
And for the English speakers amongst us?

Reactions: Ade

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
Reactions: GregK

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Picking up on this. While I think the control is good I’ve a couple where lane change button doesn’t work as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Touching back on this subject

Are there any decent upgrade wireless controllers available without spending a fortune?

I was looking at the Scorpious set up but DAYMNNNN lol

·
Prof I T
11,160 Posts
They don't work with the Arc Pro. ......yet
wink.png

·
novice jazz player &
6,402 Posts
I realise we all have different favourites... I bought a couple of slot.it SCP3 controllers which I have programmed for use with the ARC PRO powerbase - it was all straight forward. The setup works very nicely and by swapping the firmware provides compatibility with O2 wireless decoders too. Its my preferred option in answer to CBelardes upgrade question.

c

·
Prof I T
11,160 Posts

Are there any decent upgrade wireless controllers available without spending a fortune?
Short answer ...no....
mellow.png

·
novice jazz player &
6,402 Posts
Thinking back to CBelardes issue with unreliable operation of the LC button on ARC controllers... upgrading is one option... however another option (and sorry I didnt mention this earlier)... is to repair the button... it only takes 1 second....

Take the ARC controller and press the LC button with approx 5 times the pressure you would use in normal racing. Hold down for 1 second then release... job done!

The LC button will now operate far more reliably. This is by far the cheapest option ;)

c

·
novice jazz player &
6,402 Posts
Short answer ...no....:mellow:
I guess Ade is picking up on the <spending a fortune> ... and so two further thoughts from me ...

1/ Buying an original full size Ferrari 250 GTO... from recent auction figures... that would indeed cost a fortune... which is why I am happy my grid of GTOs is 1/32 scale :)

2/ I did a side-by-side comparison between buying two each of two brands of upgraded higher-end wireless controllers. One brand was available from UK retailers so I took the cheapest deal I could find. The other was available from a US retailer. The latter controllers worked out 6% cheaper but that figure didnt include any customs handling fee, import duty or VAT charge at import. As and where these import costs are added into the mix the cost comparison would look quite different (from a UK buyer perspective). Both were north of 200GBP.

Either way these costs seem fair for the fun of controlling (with upgraded throttles) these amazing little GTOs from the 1960s with their beautiful Italian styling.

:)

c

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
I guess Ade is picking up on the ... and so two further thoughts from me ...
1/ Buying an original full size Ferrari 250 GTO... from recent auction figures... that would indeed cost a fortune... which is why I am happy my grid of GTOs is 1/32 scale :)
2/ I did a side-by-side comparison between buying two each of two brands of upgraded higher-end wireless controllers. One brand was available from UK retailers so I took the cheapest deal I could find. The other was available from a US retailer. The latter controllers worked out 6% cheaper but that figure didnt include any customs handling fee, import duty or VAT charge at import. As and where these import costs are added into the mix the cost comparison would look quite different (from a UK buyer perspective). Both were north of 200GBP.
Either way these costs seem fair for the fun of controlling (with upgraded throttles) these amazing little GTOs from the 1960s with their beautiful Italian styling.
:)
c
A buyer walks into a new car sales depot.
How much is that one?
45,000 pounds sir the salesman answered.

And that one?
35,000 pounds sir.

Good Ill take the 35,000 one today.

But sir dont you want to know the type of motor? Safety rating, resale value, fuel economy, power, towing capacity?
No mate no one cares about those things.
Price is all that matters.

Ill just get James to arrange the paperwork Sir while Peter gives it a quick thorough detail.
Step this way sir!

So the Oxigen controller is north 200 GBP?

Lets look at the true cost of a Scorpius controller imported from Professor Motor USA to UK.

Using an online customs and VAT calculator we can see the Scorpius throttles are much cheaper than you say.
Lets look at the actual facts.
See Professor Motors price
And the calculator.. 276GBP for 2.
Or 138.00 GBP each!
I believe our car chips and dongle are also better priced&#128522;

I expect a rush on these now, and many thanks to Dr C for bringing this to our attention.&#128077;

Now you mention price. But no mention of history, originality, functionality, ease of use, ease and reliability of boot loader, battery life, and other important aspects users actually think about.
There will be a winner there too I can assure you &#128522;

Attachments

·
novice jazz player &amp;
6,402 Posts

So the Oxigen controller is north 200 GBP?
Lets look at the true cost of a Scorpius controller imported from Professor Motor USA to UK.
Using an online customs and VAT calculator we can see the Scorpius throttles are much cheaper than you say.
Lets look at the actual facts.
See Professor Motors price
And the calculator.. 276GBP for 2.
Or 138.00 GBP each!
I believe our car chips and dongle are also better priced&#128522;
I expect a rush on these now, and many thanks to Dr C for bringing this to our attention.&#128077;
Now you mention price. But no mention of history, originality, functionality, ease of use, ease and reliability of boot loader, battery life, and other important aspects users actually think about.
There will be a winner there too I can assure you &#128522;
Sorry for the confusion Rick... the north of 200GBP pricing is for TWO controllers in each case - not the per unit price.

For the USA retailed product I took the price in USD then multiplied by two, then added shipping and then multiplied by the exchange rate (currently 0.73 GBP = 1 USD).

For the UK retailed product I took the VAT inclusive price, then multiplied by two and then added delivery/shipping.

As I said, in both cases the total was slightly north of 200GBP for two controllers. As also mentioned I didnt include customs costs in my calculations for the controllers shipped from the USA.

c

·
novice jazz player &amp;
6,402 Posts
Case 1

($119 x 2) + $34.55 = $274.53 = £200.40

Case 2

(£103.99 x 2) + £3.99 = £211.97

As mentioned above, before taking customs costs into consideration...

Case 2 is 6% more expensive than Case 1.

Ricks indicative figures help with anyone wishing to complete the final price comparisons (for the UK market) which obviously tilt the balance significantly in the other direction.

c

·
novice jazz player &amp;
6,402 Posts
I was looking at the Scorpious set up but DAYMNNNN lol
Hi CBelarde, I think we got to an answer to your question (hopefully)..,

1/ try the quick LC button repair procedure first -it might just sort the problem.

2/ if you wish to upgrade wireless controllers while maintaining compatibility with the ARC PRO there seems to be only one option at present and that costs (UK prices) slightly over £100 per unit.

3/ whether that meets your definition of <not costing a fortune> only you can decide.

4/ looks like a second manufacturer may add ARC PRO compatibility to their wireless controllers at some point in the future. While that doesnt appear to be a less expensive option - as Rick suggests - it might give you an alternative set of features which better suit your needs.

Does that help?

c

·
ParrotGod
8,226 Posts
I think the ARC Pro market is missing a TruSpeed controller: a half way through controller that is better than the standard scalex in terms of throttle and handling plus a knob for sensitivity and if possible for brakes as well.

The cost being around 50 GBP. I think slot.it could make something like this: an SCP handle with less knobs, maybe one button for lane changing and one for brake, no cartridge, just battery operated and oxigen ready.

·
Greg Gaub
14,976 Posts
I think they were originally planning something like that, and adding value through the app. I believe there are still plans to enhance functionality in some way through the app. But, I agree completely that something between the ARC and the SCP controllers would be nice, especially if it can have a knob or two for sensitivity and brakes, at the very least. I'm not sure where the project for adding a brake knob to an SCP controller is, but I remember that being mentioned as something that could be done. I don't recall if firmware is already capable of it, and just needs the hardware hooked up to the chip somewhere, or if a firmware update would be necessary even when the hardware is in place.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts