SlotForum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone using a modified digital Straight Lane Track Change #C7036 in an analog racetrack and how did you wire it?

I'm currently building an analog racetrack out of Scalextric, SCX and Ninco tracks and want to have a 'single driver mode'. The idea is to have a selector or pushbutton switch which triggers a relay, switching one controller off and have both lanes on the other controller. That easy part is already done and works fine, I am able to drive on both lanes using one controller.
To be able to switch lanes in 'single driver mode' I added the Straight Lane Track Change #C7036 from Scalextric Digital. What I gain to accomplish to be able to drive one lap in the outer lane and the next lap in the inner lane and so on. Ofcourse I can't use the digital control unit underneath the track, so I got rid of that and extended the wires to the electromagnets of the flippers.

I've been playing around with those and seem to have a bit of trouble keeping the flipper in place when I move the flipper with a pulse. Putting a constant feed on the electromagnet results in a smoking hot coil, so that isn't an option too.

Has anyone been fiddling with this with satisfying results? What voltage is suitable for the electromagnets? If operated with a pulse, how to keep the flipper in place as passing cars seem to enjoy pushing the flipper in a 'neutral' position.

·
Greg Gaub
14,791 Posts
you might be able to use a 555 timer to make the pulse longer, so that it's on long enough for the car to pass and the flipper to not bounce, but not so long that it burns up the coil?

I dunno how, I just know that's a thing in electronics

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
No need for wiring when digital x-over is used in analog mode, the flippers wont reset. Just open both flippers, and you have a classic x-over.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That may very well work, adding a delay timer to the setup, if I make it an adjustable one I even can finetune on the go.

But that's just half of the problem; the flipper doesn't stay in place. That's also why I felt the need to rewire the flippers, after two or three passed slotcars it seeks a more convenient position which is in the centre of the slot.

Hmm... maybe I should make use of the added timer to just repeat the pulse every minute or so. Not the most beautiful solution, but its worth a try.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Might be on option to use a one way operated relay, spring return. This will come back to its original position every time the power is off.

Depending on what mode you use most place it the one or the other side.

Or try a bit of magnatism on your flipper? Does not need much to stay in place and a powered relay will pull it loose when required.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts