SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking for a set of scale drawings for the World Land Speed Record car BABS,
I have a painting of BABS and photo's but nothing with measurements on.

Jeff.

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Jeff,

You should contact Stephen Parry-Thomas of Morrigan Craft, located in Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire (Tel. 01782 373938). John Godfrey Parry-Thomas was his great uncle and he has tons of reference material. See here.

Kind regards,

Russell

·
Peter Farrell
2,114 Posts
Are you going to construct a straight track of at least 165' in length If you are I think you just might have a fair number of people wanting to set a world record in 1/32nd scale.
Alfetta

·
Registered
71 Posts
Definitely....

I am working on a Bluebird in 32nd. I started a post on the "other" forum, and it was one of the most read ever!

While we are on it...does anyone have any bright ideas on the big wheels and small tires we LSR fans would need to do these cars?

There is an article on HSARC.net about the day I met Richard Noble and had a private tour of ThrustSSC if anyone is interested....

·
Peter Farrell
2,114 Posts
As to the Wheels tyres question I think you are going to have to go cap in hand, to the nicest person you know that has a lathe. Then ask them sweetly to turn a set for you. After that. cast your own tyres.
Alfetta

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Jeff,
If you are still looking for plans I have dug out a book I have with a lot of square on side views of racing cars (side elevation to use the building term) including LSR cars from the Baker Electric Torpedo of 1902 to the Blue Flame of 1970, including Babs. They look accurate to scale, but what scale is a matter for debate and they are probably all different scales as the images have been sized to fit the pages.

If you can give me the wheelbase I can enlarge it to 32nd or any scale you like on the office photocopier.

The book is called Racing Cars in the Illustrated Colour Guide series published by Galley Press in 1981 author Piero Casucci. ISBN 0 86136 876 2.

I don't know whether it is still in print as I found my copy in a second hand shop near the M4 south of Reading.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Richard,
I don't have the wheelbase, so if you can post the plans that would be great.

Jeff.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Dick, here are the side views that I have prepared in collaboration with Jeff:

They are based on known parameters: 20'3" overall length, 23" wheels and 5" tyres making my estimated wheelbase 14'2". It would be interesting to see how those proportions compare with your plan.

The eventual goal is to build a rail car of Babs.

Any more pictures or information would be very helpful - especially any aerial or front/rear shots showing the asymmetry of the cockpit, etc. Comments/criticisms on the overall shape of the car in the drawings would also be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Yes GT Models did make one once, I spotted it in one of their advertisments when browsing through an old copy of Model Cars recently. I don't see Trevor Crout much, but last time I did he told me that he has not got any of the old GT Models moulds. He is doing a few CAT bodies for Brian Saunders' BSP firm. These are mainly aimed at the BSCRA/ISRA market so are "representations" rather than scale models, but there are one or two recreations form the late 60's early 70's but even then they were "handling" versions built to 2.5 inches wide.

I will play with the photocopier this afternoon and try to do some scanning/posting this evening, if I can get anywhere near the PC tonight as my daughter has to hand in her Master degree disertation next week and it's panic time.

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
I think these low quality pictures I took at the Pendine Museum have a limited use but you're welcome to them.

I'm sure that it would be relatively easy to get permission from the museum to photograph the car in detail, I know you live nearby Jeff but if you can't do it I would be willing to do so - I would use a better camera than I did the last time I was there!

David

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
John - In that case a trip to see the rail cars at The Track and Babs will be easy for me - shall I take these pictures or have you and Jeff got enough?

David

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
David, it would be great if you could take a definitive set of pictures. I've found a number of photos on the web and Jeff has also sent me some excellent high-resolution digital images of Babs as they appear in his book.

On the strength of those I was able to put together the profiles shown above and now with your latest shots and the width dimension I have just about enough material to hazard face-on and possibly even top down views. Which is great! Your third picture is especially helpful in showing the extent of the cockpit "bubble".

Some more reference from a higher viewpoint would be particularly useful.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
BABS is in Pendine at the moment, now I am not much good with a digital camera as I always use a film camera. But if David and I could meet up I would go down to Pendine with him and take some more pictures.

Jeff.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.