SlotForum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Registered
2,472 Posts
Ah... the most famous chain drive in racing history...

Now I remember... watched a great hour long show on the Discovery channel last week on the halycon day of LSR attempts. It went from 1900 to when they hit 300mph and had about two minutes on jet powered 'thingies'. Was very good, and have a look out for it, 'cos I'm sure it'll be on again.

Mclaren

· Registered
1,449 Posts
Errrr

I have scanned in a drawing of Babs into my hard-drive in Dell Image Expert but I can't work out how to post it. I thought I could just copy and paste but that does not work. The Help facility seems to suggest that there is a file attachment option to click on but I can't see it.

· Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,221 Posts
QUOTE The Help facility seems to suggest that there is a file attachment option to click on but I can't see it.

Usually "Save As" will get you the file options you need.JPG or JPEG are best for posting.

· Registered
147 Posts
Thought you might be interested in this link to to the British Pathe news reel site.

This is a still from one of the two films they have of the 1926 Pendine record attempt. You are able to download a poor quality version of any news reels for free !
Of topic but try searching for "model car" , keeps me amused for hours : )
British Pathe news

Richard

· Registered
1,449 Posts

I have at last worked my way through the Star Forum system and this is my first try at posting an image.

It is taken from the book "Land Speed Record" by Cyril Postumus and David Tremayne. It contains pictures in this style of all the Land Speed Record holders from the 1899 Jeantaud to the 1983 Trust 2, as it was published in 1985.

· Registered
1,449 Posts
As the engineers at that time were "intuitive" i.e. making it up as they went along, it is certain that there were many changes. The drawing I have posted was done before 1985 so if Babs was still in the Pendine sand then, all the artist would have had to work on would have been old grainy photos. But is the rebuild exactly as it was when it was buried? What was the effect of the passage of time and tide? This is getting too philosophical. I think you best bet is to go and measure it as it is now, wherever it is. Tell them its for a model for the Brooklands Museum.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.