SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A year or two ago, I posted a topic called "where do I go from here". At that time, I had a nice bench in a nice room with about 88 feet of track on a green carpet. It was fun, but seemed more like a toy than a hobby. Here is the original track plan and pictures:

http://www.bearcreekweb.com/galleries.aspx (note: Login with "132" and password of" 132" and select "from here" gallery)

I got quite a bit of input at that time, but still felt uncertain about what to do. The infamous SpaModeller and I had several email exchanges as well as phone conversations, and he was both kind and patient enough to help me sort out my thoughts.

As a youngster, I had an HO layout and took my 1/24 down to the local speedway, and both of those venues had minimal modeling with maximum track length. In those days, you built the track first, and if you had some space leftover that you were just not able to squeeze more track into, you might plop a building, tree or sign. I clearly needed a change of mindset.

With time (probably seemed like decades to SpaModeller), I began to better understand what I was after and what needed to be done to accomplish it. I even became comfortable with the notion of pulling out track as well as modifying the bench work to achieve my goals. You can see the beginnings here:

http://www.bearcreekweb.com/galleries.aspx (note: Login with "132" and password of" 132" and select "track construction" gallery)

Our intention is to create a feeling of a late 60's early 70's American raceway in the spirit of a Watkins Glen or Road America. Needless to say, there is much to do still, but I do think we are on the right path. It has already provided more joy than I could have imagined and at least one pleasant surprise. The surprise was that you could lose 30 feet of track and have a more enjoyable driving experience. Now instead of many R2's, the track is almost exclusively R3's and R4's, with only one R2 hairpin. It's smooth and flowing, and it feels like you drive the entire track vs. squirting between turns.

Anyway, I'm on my way thanks to SpaModeller gracious help, moral support and friendship. It's been a real treat to learn from the master, and those nights sipping Single Malt haven't been bad either. I'll keep you posted of progress and of course continue to post pictures as we move forward.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
That looks fabulous! Excellent work, and I can't wait to see more as you progress!

·
Registered
468 Posts
QUOTE and those nights sipping Single Malt haven't been bad either

Eeeegads!!! And I've been telling my wife about 12 hour days and a diet of fruit juices! However, in seriousness, thank you 'kmayer' for being such a wonderful and congenial host. It has been a true pleasure to be able to work with you on the planning and now development of this truly great track. And in the larger sense I'd like to again extend a thank you to the creators of this wonderful forum for facilitating the development of friendships-truly all around the world. Whether I've gone 2,000-200-or just 20 miles to meet and visit with members of this forum-to be able to see and enjoy their wonderful tracks; all these "connections" have been started and sustained by the discussions here on the forum. So moderators and creators do accept a well deserved 'thank you'. I couldn't agree more then with Graham's comment regarding the versatility and durability of foam board-and then let's not pass over our old friend 'Mr. Sculptamold'-truly (to borrow an old advertising slogan) the "breakfast of champions". Golly, I can't wait to head back over to 'Wood Glen' for the next steps, and just perhaps a wee bit more of that Macallen cask conditioned 'fruit juice'.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Great work there Kmayer!
How long has this taken?

I have not used that styrofoam or sculptamold, but polystyrene and plaster of paris. Both similar I suppose, so I understand the work involved. Looks like you've covered quite an area there!

SpaModeller is a great modeller isn't he? He has answered many of my questions, been a great help.

Another track to have a detailed look at would be this version of Brands Hatch... some great work there using the same method.

What cars do you intend to run?
Don't be shy with the progress pics...

Dick

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the encouragement and kind words. You've all played a part in the development of this track in some way.

Dreinecke: Your article on building your track was very helpful to me as I began getting my thoughts together. Thank you.

Graham. Not too long ago, I think you had a comment about liking to both blast around a track from time to time as well as drive slower and enjoy the scenery. That is what I'm hoping to accomplish too.

SpaModdeller. My mistake. What I meant was Single Orchard Fruit Juice. Seems to me you were sucking down the OJ if I remember correctly. Nothing but fruit juice, water, and vegetables for the entire weekend.

Knoath: Thanks for your kind words. The answer to the "how long it has taken" question is a little difficult. This "room" was actually a crawl space beneath the house that was unfinished, had no walls, HVAC ducts hanging down from the ceiling, and was really just a place where paint cans lived. After the room was created, the bench was built and the walls painted. Then the track was designed, then redesigned, and then elevations experimented with and settled on. That is really everything that occurred before Picture 2 could be taken. From picture two to picture 8,9,10 was really 3 complete days of work by two people with many of the supplies on hand. I will be running mostly cars out of that era. Ferrari GTO's, Chapparels, McLarens, Porsche's, E-Types etc. I do have some competition Spirit cars and NSX Moslers that while not of that era, will be driven for kicks from time to time.

·
Brad Korando / Brad Korando
1,089 Posts
What a wonderful transformation you have made to the the track! Not only will it support some fine scale scenery work, but it must surely be far more enjoyable to race on - particularly without magnets. The track sequence leading into and out of the underpass has got to be a ball to drive. Many kudos to you for making what must have been a difficult decision to take a couple of steps backward in order to make some substantial leaps forward. Your faith in Spamodeller is well placed.

Fantastic progress and thanks so much for sharing your track with us. I'm with the gang - I can;t wait for the next update.

Brad

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks very much for your kind words Brad. You are truly one of the Grand Masters, so your encouragement is very meaningful. You are right, that is a very fun section to drive. Really, the whole track is very fun. It's amazing how much more enjoyable it is to drive now that the track is level with the surrounding terrain vs. sitting above the surface.

We cut out a big section of the bench today to make access easier and to allow a bit more space for friends. You can see those images here:

http://cmsadmin.bearcreekweb.com/photopics...y_08_123_lg.jpg
http://cmsadmin.bearcreekweb.com/photopics...y_08_025_lg.jpg
http://cmsadmin.bearcreekweb.com/photopics...y_08_027_lg.jpg
http://cmsadmin.bearcreekweb.com/photopics...y_08_028_lg.jpg

·
Registered
303 Posts
Boy that looks like fun. What a great layout. The descending S is really really cool.

If you are looking for ideas on how to scenic the corners of the wall, you might want to look at some pictures of John Allen's old model railroad. He was pretty good at that.

I'll look forward to seeing more as you progress.

Pete

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all. I was busy moving structural members around today and generally making a mess. Hopefully in a few days it will look like I'm moving forward again instead of backward. One of the things I've learned is that you'll have stretches of time when you're working hard but don't feel like you have much to show for it. But, the really exciting progress is in what SpaModeller has been up to. He is building a pit area styled after Watkins Glen in the late 60's. You can see his remarkable work here:

http://www.bearcreekweb.com/Photos.aspx?cid=25&gid=114

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
A superb piece of work guys, the whole concept is fantastic. I especially like the pit lane buildings which reminded me of something I have tucked away for a rainy day.
I won't end up using them but they will add even more ambience to your track, if that is possible from the looks.
PM me with your address and I will pop them in the post.
To install them you would have to do it before the single malt orange juice though

·
Brad Korando / Brad Korando
1,089 Posts
Fantastic work on the pit building Spamodeller. It really captures the look of the intended era. I can't wait to see it develop.

QUOTE Lovely track, but you have been helped by the master! As we all have.

QUOTE Is the pit building ridgid? It looks like it could be knocked down very easily? As was probably the case with most of the 1:1 buildings of the era. The compromise of pursuing scale scenery results in scenery that is more fragile; which for a permanent track is not too much of a problem.

Wonderful work guys. Keep up the great work.
Brad

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE (ronMcRain @ 5 Jun 2008, 14:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Stunning .. Wow!!!!!

WHAT brand or sort of Single-Malt makes you able to do THAT sort of meticulously super realisticly made models?!?!?
Macallans single malt has been the recipe of choice. I keep thinking if I drink enough of it, I too will develop the skill that SpaModeler has. So far, no luck. In the interest of scientific research, I'm going to keep after it in hopes of a breakthrough.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Greetings,
The last few weeks have been dedicated to things that seemed to take much longer than you'd think they would. Specifically, restructuring the benchwork to allow a large section of table to be removed, moving of the drivers station and rewiring, cleaning out paint from the track cracks along side of each power rail, touching up the track from the chipping caused during the cleaning, enlarging the access hole and adding fascia all around and applying a tung oil finish. I've also begun adding foam board where necessary to allow the sculptamold to be built up to the fascia. I think I'm now in position to start moving forward with the fun stuff that will make it come alive. Thanks again to everyone on this forum that has helped get me to this point. I have a long way to go, and summer travels may limit my "play time", but I'll get there eventually. You can see progress by clicking on the link below.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, while I've been goofing off most of the summer traveling and generally being irresponsible, SpaModeller has been pulling his weight and doing some remarkable work on the pits. While it may not look like it now, this will all come together. If there is one thing we can count on in the Northwest, it is rain in the fall and winter. And with rain, comes time to do indoor work. I promise I will again be a contributing member of this project. Thanks SpaModeller for keeping me going.

Please go here:

http://photo.bearcreekweb.com/galleries.asp

and login with "132" and password of "132". Click on "building the gas tanks".

1 - 20 of 180 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.