SlotForum banner

Wood Track Routing Master Kit

14K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  jasperok 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
The kit includes everything below. All you need is a router, copper tape, and some nails! The Track Building Master Kit will have you building the race course of your dreams in no time! Each kit includes tip sheets and the How-To DVD to help with your project.
$80 +shipping USD.

Shipping is at actual cost. Contact me with your full shipping address for a quote including shipping.

Routing Strip:
A 96" long Lexan strip with holes drilled every 1 1/2" for use with #17 finishing nails or similar, which allows you to route just about any curve or corner that you an imagine down to a 7 1/2" radius.

Routing Guide:
A 96" piece of Sintra which is used in the already routed slot to guide your router for subsequent slots.

Router Base Plate:
A 3D printed router base that allows for 3", 3.5", or 4" (or any measurement, actually) lane spacing. Some modifications to the plate may be required to mate up to the router base being used. Uses your existing router hardware. Since these are 3D printed, I can "pre-drill" the holes for mounting it to your router. All I need is some information about your router, so that I can make sure the holes are the right size, and in the right places. As mentioned, I can easily customize the print for whatever lane spacing you want.

How-To DVD:
This DVD covers all the aspects of creating a slot car track from wood. It is about 2 hours in length and covers everything from routing the slot to adding landscaping elements. It's a great way to get a feel for all the fun involved in track building before you even buy lumber. After watching this video you will be able to create the track of your dreams!

Taping Tool:
This taping tool is constructed from Lexan, nylon, PLA, and fasteners. The 3D printed spool holds one roll of Venture brand copper tape (not included) and the Lexan holding plate holds the tape and spool in place on the Lexan upright using the included machine screw and wing nut. The Lexan baseplate provides a solid base to slide along the routed surface while two nylon guide pins ride in the slot. Also included is a pad just aft of the tape guide that helps to press down the tape as you move the taping tool along the track surface. A tip sheet is included to get the most from your taping tool.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Hey there. I'm hoping that you have taken over making these kits. How do I purchase one? I'm hoping to build a track next year.

Thanks, Paul
I believe we are conversing via email. If you're not the same Paul, please send me a message.

Nice combination of bits Mr F. Glad to see you getting them out there in the market

But perhaps one important (optional?) component missing in this day and age ?

A rebating router bit so people can use tinned copper braid or magnetic-braid for the pickup.
I can't sell what I don't have. ;-) Of course, everything other than the taping tool is still useful for braided tracks. I also don't sell routers or the bits for routing the slot.
smile.png

#6 ·
Hi everyone .

I have just received my Router Kit from Greg .... Finally it has been made available again .

I am a newbie to wood tracks , but i would thoroughly recommend grabbing one of these asap if you are thinking of routing a track or two out ... I can see this being a godsend over the years to come for me .

well worth the investment
thumbsup.gif

cheers

Ian

#7 ·
Reactions: MrFlippant
#12 ·
Hi Greg,
apologies for hijacking your thread or posting this here if I have done so incorrectly.
I am interested in purchasing a routing kit.
I am also newly returned to slot cars, the last track I built being a scalextric one in the loft for my kids some 15/20 years ago now.
I was recently moved (after finding a box of sport track, controllers etc that was long ago stored away) to build a layout to while away my time and keep me occupied over the winter months now that I am retired on health grounds.
I will be limited to an 8' x4' space, building it into the alcove of my living room (I live on my own, so can indulge myself to an extent though still limited to available space obviously) so I have decided to build a mountainous type rallye/hillclimb scenic circuit requiring more skill than speed.
I have experimented with several track designs using the scalextric sport track and having looked at some of tracks built and photographed by members of the forums I am now considering building a permanent single lane routed layout with the track groove following the 'racing' line which I will run on a timed stage basis as opposed to two cars racing side by side.
I have seen one built with a turning loop at the top so that the car comes back down the track but don't know how this is attained or if it would be beyond my skill set.
I don't even know what is involved in the routing and electrifying of wood tracks tbh having only built basic scalextric circuits in the past but with plenty of time on my hands I am sure I can learn with the advice and guidance of others. I will be running 1:32 standard cars to start with although I intend to build some cars using kits for the older classic models from the golden age as seen at the likes of the Goodwood revival, classic rallye, manx classic etc.
So any advice and guidance would be much appreciated, thanks for reading this.
Derek
North East of England.

#13 ·
If you like, I can sell you the DVD, which I'm able to provide access to through a private video on YouTube. If you decide to buy the kit, I'll discount the cost of the DVD. Feel free to send me a private message if that interests you.

The DVD does not include the return loop electrics, though. For that information, you'll need to find a thread on this forum that includes that information. There are different ways of doing it. Some people just route two parallel slots with an offset that is the width of the copper tape. When the track loops back around, there is a break with just enough space that the car braids don't short out the power, but the polarity never has to change because the braid touching the tape in the center of the two slots is still the same braid. I believe there are examples of this on this forum as well.

#14 ·
Thanks for the information Greg and yes I am interested in purchasing the dvd from you and I will no doubt purchase the rest of the kit once I have watched the dvd and am ready to proceed with the build. I will look into the other threads re the loop info too as you suggest. I have a lot to learn but to me the most daunting part of the process is the electrical side.

#15 ·
Don't worry too much about the electrical stuff. I'm of a similar mind in that regard, but with some searching and asking, you can usually get a diagram and examples of whatever you need. I was able to add a switch and club style analog hookups to my digital track so that I had pure analog racing when needed... and my electric skills begin and end with knowing how to solder poorly. ;-)

#20 ·
The nice thing about the official kit is the routing fence is drilled on regular centres, so you can route the full length of the strip and then move it along 70% of its overall length and the holes will then align perfectly on the other 30%..

This allows perfect slot line up 👍🏼.

#24 ·
Ah, planning the layout is quite a bit different than building it. For a space that size, it's good to think about what you want. Do you expect to ever race along side anyone, or will it primarily be for your own enjoyment? If the latter, then a single lane "rally" track might bring you more enjoyment in the long run, since you can pretty much just go crazy with it. If it's expected that you'll have someone racing with you regularly, then two lanes is probably better, but you'll be severely limited by that in the space. There are lots of two lane layouts for such a space, though, especially if you're willing/able to put a crossing or bridge in.

For this discussion, it would be best to start a thread in the Tracks and Scenery forum, where you can start with a description of your space, the size/scale of slots you plan to run on it, and the answers to the above questions.