Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,i am building a wooden circuit,very similar to the tracks built by slot circuits in barcelona.i am now at the painting stage but am unsure as what to use to paint the actual track surface to give it good grip but not to much,any help or ideas would be great,thanks rich

·
Registered
899 Posts
I'm unsure if you have it in your country but we have it here. they now make a waterproofing/ flexible compound for under tiles on bathroom floors. Its a very small grey fleck speckle type of mix, and its made from a shredded rubber substance. sticks to any clean timber surface. It gives good grip, not too much though and the best part the cars don't seem to mark as this rubber base makes it soft to land on, or skate on your roof. I think we all understand.

It would be a shame to scratch a Fly Car.

Oh..! and its not bad for bathroom floors either.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Mornin' Squeezy!

It sounds like an interesting material - what's it called and who makes it?
Sometimes, these DIY/Hardware/building/cleaning/paint/polish etc materials are sold under different names in various parts of the world but, with the manufacturer's name, it's someimes possible to track it down anyway. This worked out with Future acrylic floor seal, made by Johnsons, which turned out to be Klear in UK (But no one seems to have found it in mainland Europe yet, thus opening up a lucrative smuggling line from Ireland into Switzerland!
).

·
Registered
899 Posts
Theres nothing getting smuggled into any part of lreland. Not according to my cousins in Sligo and Belfast anyway Tropi...

I'll explain what we use it for here and that might then be the same thing there but have a different name.

Back on topic, here in Oz, we needed a substance to act not only as a water-proof membrane but also to

1/ stop bathroom timber floor rot due to moisture

2/ act as a flexible barrier between the bottom of a ceramic tile and a concrete floor. Concrete floor cracks, crack transferred straight up to beautiful tile floor.. ruined! and

3/ allow water to seep through the porous concrete tile bed( usually about 40mm concrete tile bed under the tiles on most upper floor levels here in Oz) to the top of the membrane and then drain away through a specially designed floor waste, thus no floor damage.
I'm sure they must have buckets loads of water-proofing stuff in Ireland.

Jeez, we all saw "Angelas Ashes"

In the shot here, the flecks of rubber are huge so as you can see, ( The product photographed was done in about 2002) is water based and was simply brushed on to give good cover about 1mm to 2mm thick probably. Nowadays, the product fleck is smaller and I'd describe it as like the old classic Scalextric roadway.
I'll throw in a few shadows, might help give you a better idea.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Great texture pic!
That kind of pic can be hard to reproduce, but we know what you are like with pics. (Excellent!)
I'd agree the shreds would probably be more acceptable on a finer scale for our purposes, but the principle seems sound.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi guys,

Newbie here, so please be nice

Uksqeezea, I come from Oz and was wondering what the product name is of the rubber compound you use. I am planning to build a track shortly and would like to give it a shot.

On all of the tracks that I race, they use Ferrador. While its grippy (really grippy, actually too grippy if you ask me) it is very abrasive and makes mince meat out of any nice shiny new paint work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts