SlotForum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
re member
4,301 Posts
Hi Gazza
Thanks for the post,I really enjoyed it.You have informed and entertained me.Excellent.
A question please.Could you tell me how you cut the recess in the MDF for the strips of tin.
Over here in NZ a fellow slotracer has had routed, a track in MDF.This was done on a CNC machine and he had three slots per lane routed.One for the guide of the car and the other two for.....lengths of 8 gauge fencing wire. Number 8 fencing wire is an icon in New Zealand as many people have put it to a myriad of uses.It is flexible and very ferric.(ferrous?High iron content?)Once segments of wire are laid he will fill the remainder of the slot with an epoxy and lay the tape on top.Worth a try.
Thanks again
John

·
Registered
710 Posts
There's a couple other easier ways to get magna traction on a wooden track. You can use steel braid, or a paint that has been mixed with iron filings. For the steel braid you use a special router bit that will cut the proper recess as you guide it through the slot. The magnetic paint option is even easier, but you need to put a coat or two of latex on top of the magnetic paint to minimize the leaching up of the filings.

·
Registered
579 Posts
QUOTE (Gazza4x4 @ 5 Apr 2007, 21:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thats the best bit Munter They are just laid in top except where it ends I just Chiselled a piece out Picture close up with red line around .

Gazza

It looks like there are quite a few tinplate to tinplate joints in the corners.
Did this need a bit of chiselling of the wood to get the top surface of the tinplate smooth?

Chris

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (tokyoracer @ 6 Apr 2007, 13:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You have made me really consider getting a routed layout. Was it easy to do the pit systems?

Sure was. I just copied the Scalextric system pit lane. . . But looking at it now dont make the angle tight some where around the 15 degree might be better

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (Chris Frost @ 6 Apr 2007, 11:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It looks like there are quite a few tinplate to tinplate joints in the corners.
Did this need a bit of chiselling of the wood to get the top surface of the tinplate smooth?

Chris

Hi Chris. No I just butt jointed up to them glued down with contact evo stick put on filler just in case any burrs sanded smooth and as you see works great

I only did it because the Challenger car kept stoping ( really old track 25yr old) and as you can see in last video on my web works a treat now
I'm well impressed with it all

Gazza

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.