SlotForum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The landscaping is moving along. Thanks to VSRN for the miniatures of nostalgic magazine covers on the end boards. The village is growing, the Toronto Indy provided the backdrop for the main straight, the forest is growing, etc. Hope you enjoy and please comment as you wish. This new autodrome is of course a work in progress so as things change or whim strikes me I will post.Enjoy! This is my first post on this Euro board.

Good day, eh!

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
For a first post, that's a heck of an impressive début, Ferrari!

The circuit looks terrific - and BIG! What are the dimensions?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Tropi. I recognize the handle from SCI and Home Racing World. It' s nice to receive a compliment from someone whom I hold in some regard. The room the track is housed in is not square hence the dimensions of the track and more so its shape were dictated by this. The layout rests on MDF tables with folding legs that I built. There are two eight by four foot tables, one 4 x 5 and one 3 x 4, arranged in a U shape. The track is Scalextric classic, 4 lanes, average lap length of 50 feet. I'm currently pondering a number of timing and scoring options based on an old PC. Although the outside lanes run longer than the inside things even out in a racing invironment as braking points come sooner and turn speeds are lower on the shorter lanes. In fact if anything the outside lane is easiest to navigate. My 21 year old son and I spent a wonderful afternoon of racing a variety of cars in 5 and 10 lap "crash and burn" events. The biggest blast were the two EJ,s Indy roadsters I recently completed. The closest racing takes place with a variety of Fly Porsches. The layout lends itself to some high speeds as the two main straights are just over 8 and 10 feet long. I'll post more pictures as time permits. Gotta go turn a few laps now!

Good day, eh!

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Thanks for the kind remarks, Ferrari.

'Equal lap lengths' are rather over-rated imho and your findings seem to bear this out. Very often, the longest routes can produce higher speeds and shorter lap times, but even if this doesn't happen, it is all equalled out by lane rotation anyway.

You seem to have arrived at a nice happy medium for size. There is such a thing as being too big to be comfortable, where you can't have a satisfactory race without a pile of marshalls in attendance. My club circuit is a bit like that, in that if I just want to practice, I spend as much time walking to the far end and back, over 30 feet away to retrieve deslots, as actually running cars!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Dennis!
Experience on a commercial track, hhhmmmm.....well I've been a home racer for a long time. As a boy and teen I grew up in a small city that in the early and mid 60's had 1 comercial track. I had one car 1/24 scale but didn't go much. Kinda boring as I was running a P4 Ferrari shell on a brass chassis while everybody else ran a bloby. Built my own routed track on a sheet of 8x4 MDF and raced 1/32 with 4 friends for a number of years....college, life etc and the hobby vanished but by the late 70's I was into HO scale and continued when my son was born. He and I had a great time building and racing HO tracks till about 4 years ago. Then he and I discoverd a hobby shop geared towards model car racing in Oakville Ontario. We would go there to race HO about 6 or 7 years ago. Al Penrose of BWA wheel fame ran the shop. Had an HO track, 1/32 track and a comercial track in the store. A bit ahead of his time. Then I bought my Scalextric Hochenhime (forget the spelling) set and driven by the resurgence of 1/32 through the internet here we are today! I'm running on a large portion of Al's old Scaley track I bought. So my experience has never been commercial. I'm much interested in the scale aspect of a great hobby, but not as obsesive as trian guys. Still all my cars (80+) look very real from all manufacturers kit or ready to run and even scratch built Airfix models. My experience is lengthy on home tracks but commercial tracks, no.
By the way the HO stuff is set up on two 8x4 tables, four lane road course and 4 lane oval at the school where I am Principal. The 10 to 13 year olds love it.
I feel I have a wealth of experience and the internet gives me an opportunity to share it and confirm my theories and ideas. But I ramble on.

Good day. eh!

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
With a track like that, rambling on is not only condoned it is most definitely and enthusiastically ENCOURAGED!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts