SlotForum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

novice jazz player &
What sets this work apart from that of others (me included) is this work is being demonstrated at extreme levels of miniaturisation by a slot car brand using current manufacturing methods and established manufacturing supply chains - i.e. its very close to productisation. Very impressive indeed!!!

c

Registered
I've just been told, that wire size of Scorpius F1 chip will be 26AWG (not the smaller 28AWG as shown in the pics above).

Also, 26AWG is claimed to be a good rating for 3A continuous over short distances.

Anyhow, AFAIK and according to my experiences - 3 Amps will only be drawn for a very limitted amount of time in scale-racing in 1:24 or 1:32.

I do not think, end-users will have to solder the wires directly to the chip, so no problems there.

Diegu

novice jazz player &
Hi Diegu, I too have no doubt when this new product hits the market it will have appropriate pre-wired connections for braises and motors and thatvthese will be of the appropriate gauge for the quoted constant current ratings of the decoder.

Meanwhile since the engineering subject of wire rating has been raised... I believe there are two factors to consider here if anyone is contemplating using under-rated wiring:

1/ does under-rated wiring add series resistance that reduces overall system performance in terms of power transfer?
2/ does under-rated wiring risk over heating and/or melting of wiring insulation.

I suspect 1 is not significant here. Not sure about 2 - maybe ok for slotcars but the concept certainly wouldn't meet domestic wiring regulations.

c

Registered
With this smaller chip, smaller components, achieving the same as the older larger chips, why does the antenna remain the same size?

Are there no substitutes for smaller antennas?

Enjoy,

Shad

novice jazz player &
With this smaller chip, smaller components, achieving the same as the older larger chips, why does the antenna remain the same size?
Are there no substitutes for smaller antennas?

Enjoy,
Shad
With antennas, they are usually 1/4 of the wavelength in play so they don't scale with decoder size. However, the 1/4 wavelength can be achieved with a helical coil format (e.g. the short stubby antenna on police/business/amateur VHF/UHF radios). Some nRF modules use a spiral of copper on the pcb to avoid the soldered wire antenna. The problem with helical and spiral antennas is that they tend to be more direction sensitive, leading to reduced effective operating range.

All of that said, the flexible wire antenna at the standard length is easy to hide in most slotcar configurations.

c

Prof I T
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Scorpius has been approached by Nordic to do a feature for there newsletter
thumbsup2.gif

Reactions: Dr_C

Prof I T
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Basic firmware is finished , just ID to finalise
thumbsup.gif

Prof I T
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Update..

Firmware and ID completed, chips need flashing then they'll be posted out to Beta testers.. :thumb:

Reactions: GregK

Living the Life!
It's testing time again ......... :clap: :banana:

Prof I T
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Good news F1 chips are ready and have been posted out to Scorpius Beta testers :thumb:

Braid plate being tested for fit and continuity :thumb:

So now we can move onto Arc Pro throttle firmware :mex:

21 - 35 of 35 Posts