SlotForum banner

261 - 280 of 280 Posts

·
Greg Gaub
14,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #261 ·
ALERT!! ALERT!! ALERT!!
ALTERNATE DAY!! ALTERNATE DAY!!

This one's for you Aussies et al! Tell your mates!

You're Invited!

Topic: World Wide Slot Car Chat #55

Time: FRIDAY May 7, 2021 06:00 PM Central Time (US and Canada)
(That's Saturday morning for you lot down under!)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84513062986?pwd=TE45MjBJZGdDNnhMUURUUVI5ODcxUT09

Meeting ID: 845 1306 2986
Passcode: 957960

Time Zone Calculator for 6pm CST:
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html?iso=20210507T230000&p1=234&p2=179&p3=136&p4=37&p5=240&p6=103

I hope you are able to join us!

·
Registered
50 Posts
How do I get in touch with UK Wayne who was on the latest Zoom meeting? I need to post a car to him.

Thanks

Paul

·
Greg Gaub
14,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·

·
Greg Gaub
14,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #267 ·

·
Greg Gaub
14,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #269 ·

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Re World Wide Slot Car Chat #57 I watched with interest Portals tutorial on saving topics but when he shows the F1 thread with local addresses for pages 2 and 3 when he clicks on the last page at 1:43:47 the address in the address bar is not local but https://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1905298&page=100

At 1:45:41 he says it takes me straight to the internet but according to the address bar he was already on the internet.

When he is showing the 2021 Cars thread he downloaded at 1:48:42 the address bar shows https://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20265&page=5

Does this software actually copy the entire topic to a local drive? A locally stored copy that links to a possibly at a later date no longer existing web address is not practical.

·
Greg Gaub
14,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #272 ·
It's more likely that the software misses some links while it tries to parse the page and swap out the links. It's also possibly a configuration issue, and he missed something without realizing it. I've never used that software, but something that versatile probably has some easily missed options. ;-)

But, even if some of the links are not correctly parsed, the software will save all the pages and images that go with them. With some settings, you can even make it save file attachments to posts, not just inline images.

If you have a lot of work into some posts/threads, and you want to be able to re-post them again without starting from scratch, it's definitely worth considering.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
@Geoff Shannon

Some context, I offered to do this off the cuff with no preparation 5 mins before that Zoom call started, so that's essentially midnight on a Friday night in lockdown Glasgow. If I hadn't consumed a few beers and a bottle of red then I probably would never have offered to do it in first place...so is it perfect...no... ;-)

However the demo shows a method that does what it says on tin with minimal effort. I also seemed to have lost the ability to be able to say the word 'shoulders' at the end of the video, I blame whoever opened the second bottle of red for that...(my other half only drinks white....)

Re World Wide Slot Car Chat #57 I watched with interest Portals tutorial on saving topics but when he shows the F1 thread with local addresses for pages 2 and 3 when he clicks on the last page at 1:43:47 the address in the address bar is not local but https://www.slotforu...905298&page=100
I just watched the YT video, yes, you are correct the last page was a web not local URL.

At 1:45:41 he says it takes me straight to the internet but according to the address bar he was already on the internet.
Yes. On local pages all web addresses stay as web, anything that needs to be local e.g. navigation between pages gets re-written local. You can see I was already on internet as you say so what is your point here, are you marking my homework?

When he is showing the 2021 Cars thread he downloaded at 1:48:42 the address bar shows https://www.slotforu...ic=20265&page=5
You probably noticed then that at 1:54:54 when I showed the summary screen of the 2021 Cars topic live demo download that there were some errors and warnings in the summary screen? If not then watch it again...does that explain anything to you?

Anyone who has had the 'Forbidden to post' or similar error knows what I mean, SFI web servers treat spiders the same as they do real users, sometimes they're flaky and throw exceptions because they can.

The summary log file shows these warnings and errors, the reason the download is not 100% perfect (and the reason the F1 topic too is not 100% re local/web final page URL), is easily fixed by just running the job again as a delta and it will grab what it missed the first time, in seconds.

Does this software actually copy the entire topic to a local drive? A locally stored copy that links to a possibly at a later date no longer existing web address is not practical.
Nope, it's a hoax. When you run the software it sends an email to my offshore Russian account and sends me all of the logon details for all you recent websites including online banking etc.

I'm sitting on a Jamaican beach sipping rum cocktails as I write this.....cheers!

Hasta la Vista baby!

·
Greg Gaub
14,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #274 ·
Nope, it's a hoax. When you run the software it sends an email to my offshore Russian account and sends me all of the logon details for all you recent websites including online banking etc.

I'm sitting on a Jamaican beach sipping rum cocktails as I write this.....cheers!

Hasta la Vista baby!
lmfao.gif
lmfao.gif
lmfao.gif
lmfao.gif
lmfao.gif
lmfao.gif
lmfao.gif
lmfao.gif

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,588 Posts

Hasta la Vista baby!
That's pure dead brilliant, by the way. (With apologies to all Glaswegians).

Leo

·
Greg Gaub
14,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #276 ·
You're Invited!

Topic: World Wide Slot Car Chat #59
Time: Jun 2, 2021 06:00 PM Central Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
Join our Cloud HD Video Meeting

Meeting ID: 832 3382 9672
Passcode: 465151

·
Greg Gaub
14,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #278 ·
You're Invited!

Topic: World Wide Slot Car Chat #60

Time: Jun 9, 2021 01:00 PM Central Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 818 0149 1521
Passcode: 890904

Time Zone Calculator for 1pm CST:

·
Greg Gaub
14,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #280 ·
You're Invited!

Topic: World Wide Slot Car Chat #61

Time: Jun 16, 2021 06:00 PM Central Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 863 5002 8777
Passcode: 130473

261 - 280 of 280 Posts