SlotForum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
So, I paid over the top for it, but the money went to a good cause for once and I am more than happy with the car.

Anyway - out of the MMK box it came...

Trued, glued and its off and running with the best of the Ninco 356s!

WELL CHUFFED!!!!!

It is a little on the top heavy side but for a resin car that is to be expected and nothing that can't be overcome with some concentration.

Detailing and attention to detail is amazing..

Rear lights could have been red but that is my ONLY gripe and easy to fix, might even have been an oversight on this one.

Interesting is the cloned chassis - recognise it?
yep! it is a cloned Ninco Porsche 356 chassis with the hole filled that used to take the fixing bolt and the Ninco name removed, you can still see where it used to be
. This time too sees the chassis NOT in resin but a plastic of some kind, which is a good move.

Gearing is plastic for both crown and pinion - same as Ninco and the motor, though not wrapped in an NC1 wrapper, gives the same (approx) readigns all round as an NC1 as does the Gauss value.
I think I read in another post from Prof Fate that the standard Mabuchi cans used by Fly, Scalextric, Ninco etc are all identical anyway.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Maybe I should know this, but where did you get her?

She IS gorgeous. Is there a magnet to be found or does she handle well without one?

-Maltese

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Very nice indeed, other than, at those prices, you'd think they wouldn't leave you to grind out your own wheel arches!

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
QUOTE (Swissracer @ 15 May 2004, 22:44)Interesting is the cloned chassis - recognise it?
yep! it is a cloned Ninco Porsche 356 chassis with the hole filled that used to take the fixing bolt and the Ninco name removed, you can still see where it used to be
. This time too sees the chassis NOT in resin but a plastic of some kind, which is a good move.
Gearing is plastic for both crown and pinion - same as Ninco and the motor, though not wrapped in an NC1 wrapper, gives the same (approx) readigns all round as an NC1 as does the Gauss value.
I think I read in another post from Prof Fate that the standard Mabuchi cans used by Fly, Scalextric, Ninco etc are all identical anyway.
Can't disagree with the ancestry of the chassis, Swiss.

But, the Mabuchi fitted is of the Fly/Hornby variety i.e. pinion gear same end as the brush gear, whereas the NC1 has the brush gear at the opposing end to the drive and the only way to put a Fly/Hornby Mabuchi in an NC1 Ninco car is a complicated mix and match of Ninco and Hornby bracketry. Obviously not the case here, as this looks very tidy.

I wonder why they went to all this trouble in a car which is perhaps not expected to have fantastic performance.

As a question for our resident motor experts from someone who races at brake-less clubs, I would like to know why the motors with the brushes at the opposite end to the drive, such as the NC1 or SCX RX4, seem to display more "natural braking" or am I just imagining it?

Mr.M

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
The usual descriptions are 'can drive' and 'end bell drive'.
Putting aside the RX motors, which are quite different, I would expect all the others to give the same braking, only dependent on variations in the strength of the magnets. I can't see that braking would be affected by which end the cog was on. But I will await being shot down in flames with great pleasure, because I might learn something here.

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got it from Pendles, but it was the car offered as an Auction item (they ran out of time so it was offered later) at the recent Pheonix Charity bash.
No magnet - not required. You would kill it fast with a magnet thats for sure.

I agree the motor is the opposite end drive but I think the insides are the same as the NC1 it certainly runs like one and can keep up with the other Porsche 356s I have.
I don't think it WAS intended to have fantastic performance but it is in keeping with cars of the age and I think it is adequate, along with the whole Ninco Classic range - Not fragile missiles but great fun to race.
We use them as a calm down at the end of the evening, drop voltage to 12 with 5 minutes in each lane and it isn't so hectic.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi

The milder the wind, the better the brakes...thus NC1 and RX 41s which are milder than then Scaley/Fly/MRRC etc will have better brakes with the same gearing.

Fate

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
Thanks Prof! So the NC1 and RX4 don't have better braking, they just don't go so fast

But wait.....didn't somebody say earlier that the NC1 and the Fly/Hornby Mabuchis give the same readings? Now I'm confused!

Anyway, back to slot-tastic Swiss' "lot of great work for char-i-dee.......doesn't like to talk about it..........etc, etc, etc.

Mr.M

1 - 9 of 9 Posts