SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts

It is highly irregular to start a WHO event thread before the previous race has taken place.

The excuse is this is a bit of a momentous one. Okay, this is the first of some extra races at WHO (four a year - all in the school holidays) and marks an official team-up with Scalextric (the Micro Scalextric Championship UK). Both would be momentous in most people's books.

But the real momentousness of Wednesday 15 August is that this will be Gareth's long-awaited return to racing

As far as the Micro Scalextric racing goes, it's club cars and club controllers. More on the special Micro section of our website.

Should be fun. And with some January 2010 style publicity, we should be welcoming a few new faces to the Barn to try out HO slot car racing

·
Registered
98 Posts
Really looking forward to this, getting back to club cars should give these meets a whole new spin, and the endurance races in teams sounds like great fun, and with the return of the mighty G man, what could be better, sweeeeeet

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Thanks guys! I'm really looking forward to making my return and seeing all of my friends at the Barn once again. These past four months have been really exciting and different for me but I have definitely been missing my racing!

And this will be my birthday race meeting as I turn 33 on the Saturday afterwards. I shan't be bringing cakes as I'm already battling the waistline and losing badly!

This is going to be a really exciting championship. Club cars and controllers will really level the field and could put a couple of new faces in the winners circle. I'm expecting Diesel to go well especially in the early rounds as he runs MS cars perhaps more than many others in the club.

The team endurance races will be an interesting change of flavour as well. I've been reading the club site regarding these races and I'm not entirely clear on how they will work as yet. I'm guessing there will be more teams than lanes and teams will rotate through the lanes with some stints on track and off track. I know that this will all depend on numbers of drivers but can each driver expect to do a stint on each lane?

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The team endurance race format is intentionally a bit vague

Any format will need to fit into the usual 7 to 9.30 slot and actual racing time will be two hours maximum.

Okay, say we get 24 people (our average club night) and we divide them into 8 teams of 3. Each team runs 15 minutes on each lane. That will fill out our time slot nicely. If we add in a compulsory 'live' driver change every 5 minutes and the stipulation that each driver runs a similar amount of time, that gives you an idea of how it might work.

That's a bit of a mix between a BSCRA-style team race and the 4 hour race Robin and me run for a local church. What they have in common is they are both a lot of fun. It's a format we can develop over time.

A little bit of testing needs to be done on Micro Scalextric cars and their endurance capabilities, but we'll probably give it a go in October.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Think this a great addition to the UK ho scene, with Mr Player behind it you know be well run. Maybe get honk to run a similar championship of club controls and cars then have the top 10 from each club compete for the Micro Scalextric National Champion Crown? That be awesome

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Let's be clear - the aim of the Micro Championship is to get new racers through the door. It's the ideal introduction to club racing.

Plenty of local publicity, backed up by the Scalextric social media platforms will give it a significant profile over the next year or so - infinitely bigger than a thread on SlotForum.

The format is very accessible too - people who have Micro at home will be racing the cars they are used to.

Of course, existing club racers will love the new series and it is yet another challenge, but the new guys are our priority on this one.

Some newbies may try out regular WHO rounds, others will stick with the Micro rounds in the school holidays. We already have it so a standard Micro F1 car can race in our F1 class.

For a new club like HONK, the Micro Championship is a brilliant way to raise the club's profile.

And with what Deane said, this initiative suggests Scalextric are looking at the Micro brand as something people might stick with, not just a stepping stone to the bigger stuff. That's got to be a good thing for HO in the UK. And shows that some gentle but consistent nudging over the years is paying off

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
How ever this aimed long term can only be positive for future of ho in UK, just hope Scalextric speak to you guys to learn how to improve the braid system on the cars and make cars possible future National race winners

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
What improvements would you like to see made to the Braid system? I have a variety of front ends on my MS cars and one of the types seems to work really well. Provided that is the current version, its all good! I have begun tinkering with a super modified MS car for the CW class but work was suspended a while back. Must finish it at some point.

Pie in the sky but it would be great if MS released a new version of the old Marchon MR-1 chassis alongside the current car but with some of the extra plastic pared away from around the rear of the car and a sensible body mount system. I'm sure it didn't need to be that porky and as for the bodies...

13 days to go till the start of this championship. I am uber excited already! And not just because I'm coming back to the Barn to go racing after such a long time away. This is going to be so much fun.

I'll have to break out the My First Scalextric figure eight to practise with. My test track is currently in bits and buried behind a veritable mountain of junk.

·
Registered
730 Posts
If you can re create the MS track system experience on AFX I think you are away. We love playing with our MS at home.

A racing pack with lower front and rear tyres and thicker neos would be a push fit upgrade anyone could do and a great first step.

The running quirks aside there is a lot to like about the MS range imo

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I think actually having a championship for the MS is not just fantastic for new faces as they can relate to the cars as can buy in toy shops but also the fact for the future and development of these cars to the HO UK scene

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
It remains to be seen if the racers are able to affect future product, but that has to be an aim.

It seems a no-brainer, but companies in all spheres of life are notorious for ignoring the opinions of the hardcore end-users.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
QUOTE (marctownsend @ 2 Aug 2012, 17:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If you can re create the MS track system experience on AFX I think you are away. We love playing with our MS at home.

A racing pack with lower front and rear tyres and thicker neos would be a push fit upgrade anyone could do and a great first step.

The running quirks aside there is a lot to like about the MS range imo
Are the rails higher on the MS track? I actually really like driving my DTM Mercedes MS car on my AFX layout. It is a really smooth running car and grips pretty well even on stock rubber. All of my MS cars are second hand so I don't know why it is so much better than many of the others!

I like the idea of the push fit upgrade pack. I did buy a large pack of upgrade Neos from a UK magnet supplier intending them to be for the MS cars but they turned out to be LL-T sized instead. But I also bought some Mussell Bay MS mags too to play with.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Well surely changing the mags will give you more magnetic downforce which when combined with the right combination of wheels, tyres, crown and pinion will give you a quicker car. At least that's what I assumed was the reason we did these things!!

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Various experiments with stronger mags in toy chassis over the years have led to mixed results to say the least. I know it can be done well, which is why national Mod does not allow it.

In terms of the Micro championship, it might be best to avoid kit changes that are unlikely to end up on the cars from the factory. Braids are a cool area to innovate in, and Hornby have already seen a little of what we do, but stronger magnets are not something we are likely to see in future sets.

Not that I have any say in the matter, although I facilitated the deal now it is up and running it is Andy and Dave H's baby, and they are doing a stonking job so far.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts