SlotForum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd really like to see Scalextric do a Classic British sports series. My picks would be:

Sunbeam Alpine (60's)
1965 Triumph Spitfire Mk2
Morgan 1965 Plus 4 two-seater roadster
Allard (50's)
MG-A
MG-TD
Jaguar XK-150 (1960)
Jaguar XKE

I wonder if there would be market for these cars if mass produced?

George

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
George

You have left out the best one of the lot....Healey 3000, but never mind.

All these are available as either resin shells or plastic kits, but I agree that they would make a great series for one of the major manufacturers to make as ready to run cars.

Not sure what the reaction of younger slotters would be, so a series such as the one you propose may never happen. However following Scalextric's launch of the early F1's you never know......

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I do not know your ages, but as I am 50+ and remember mosts of these cars. I was wondering wheither the younger people of today would be that interested? The GT40 was helped in sales terms with the interest in the launch of the new Ford GT. The E type Jaguar (Scalextric did), and the Sunbeam Alpine have been done before. In the Alpine's case as the Tiger by Scalextric and as a Alpine by Revell. Revell as did other manufacturers produced the E type Jaguar. If the interest in films ie Austin Powers had been that great then E type roadster would have been produced abeit as the 'Shagmobile".Carrera in 1/24 have done the E type and a lightweight racing version is being done by Revell/Monogram in 1/32. I am pretty sure a resin kit of the Healey 3000 (Scalextric did this years ago) has been done recently or maybe it was a limited ready to run which is a shame as that would be expensive. If there enough demand any car will be made.
I think to hazard a guess; that its more likely these cars would be produced by small resin manufacturers???

Regards Allan

·
1 hp Trabant is not my real car
770 Posts
But the MG should be a TC or TF. The TD never looked right IMHO

I had a TC in my youth.

Cheers, Isetta

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
There's a retailer named Traffic Model cars at this URL: http://www.modelracingcars.co.uk/h32-slotc...acing-index.htm that appears to stock at least some of these cars in resin kits, including the Spitfire and MGA.

Has anybody ever ordered from Traffic? Has anybody had experience with any of the British Motoring Classics (BMC3) kits?

My personal pick is below - seems like a natural for a Ninco classic - traffic offers these as well:

Merry Christmas!
Paul
Circuit TrustChrist

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I'd buy the Alpine but I'd be thinking of the Tiger!

There's a couple of guys do nice resin bodies of 60's stuff. I don't remember what they do & it's too hot to think here (37 at the moment) so I'm having a beer & sulking (although not that much 'cause the beer's cold)

·
Registered
57 Posts
QUOTE (pault86 @ 23 Dec 2004, 05:38)There's a retailer named Traffic Model cars at this URL: http://www.modelracingcars.co.uk/h32-slotc...acing-index.htm that appears to stock at least some of these cars in resin kits, including the Spitfire and MGA.

Has anybody ever ordered from Traffic? Has anybody had experience with any of the British Motoring Classics (BMC3) kits?

My personal pick is below - seems like a natural for a Ninco classic - traffic offers these as well:

Merry Christmas!
Paul
Circuit TrustChrist
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have several of the Traffic models. These include the Spitfire (the early model), a Daimler Dart, a Riley Elf and Riley 1.5. All are of good quality, though as with most Resin models they need some preparation. I will be getting the new model of a MGA with hardtop early next year. They are good historic models which help broaden a collection and are fun to race. They will not be as fast as ready to race cars as resin is heavier, but running against each other is ideal. There is also the satisfaction of racing something you have built and prepared yourself.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I've only made one of Traffics BMC range so far, the MG1100. I was very pleased with the quality etc., the body casting unlike some resin kits didn't need any filling.

The car as it comes makes into a really good model although the supplied wheels were of a small diameter and the chassis caught on our old warped track.

If you want to race this car it will need a little work. A larger diameter set of wheels is a must, I used those from a Lotus 7.The chrome work is white metal and adds a lot of weight as does the resin interior so would need to be replaced with a vac form interior and Airfix kit or resin copied parts for the grill, bumper and lights

Click for details of how I built it

The Gowland and Gowland (plus Others) kit of the MG TD can be fitted onto a Caterham chassis with a little bit of work and is a wonderful looking car Isseta, although not as good as a TC

Click for further pictures

This link to my MG TD mark II explains how I built TDs.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I must take issue with my MK11 counterpart, and his quote 'The GT40 was helped in sales terms with the launch of the new Ford GT' The sales of both Scalextric and then Fly's version, IMHO, had nothing to do with any interest in Fords new retro Road car but the fact that since the 60's nobody has produced a 1/32 slot car of possibly the worlds favourite sports racecar. The fact that 2 manufacturers released excellent (albeit different) versions of it in less than a year is testiment to this cars cult status. Sorry MK11, as someone who, by his login must be a fan of this car, why think otherwise?

As for the original list of Bristish Sports cars apart from the XKE (and isn't Revell's out now?) I dont think any volume manufacturer would invest in the tooling for any off of this list. To make anything viable today, prototypes needed to have raced in at least one recognisable (famous?) livery and more if possible, and I suppose from this lot a road car version.

As previous posts state there is the ever growing resin body market to statisfy most, and Ninco have produced an excellent Healey 3000 along with a XK120.
By the way a replica of the 60's Scalex 3000 is still availible today being produced by Pink Kar.

As a passing thought, with the market now so full of good product, are we now getting to the point that in general our wish lists of viably produceable slotcar prototypes are being forfilled?

GT

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
You can have your own opinion GT40. But as the launch of the new Ford GT generated interest in the GT40. My car club The GT40 Enthusaists club has gain more members this year due to the interest shown off the back of the Ford GT to the original car. As for the old chesnut of both Fly's and Scalextric GT40's being accurate. They are only accurate when you compare them to C77,C35 or the monogram or any of the previous slotcars. As models they are serious let down in overall shape caused by tooling and costs which have turned them toywards.

Regards Allan

·
Registered
69 Posts
QUOTE (GT40MKII @ 23 Dec 2004, 20:54)As models they are serious let down in overall shape caused by tooling and costs which have turned them toywards.
Sorry Allan, I never said that they were accurate and I would not want to get into sparing match with you over each models faults I think we both are aware what they are, however to state the above is just being a bit over the top dont you? And anyway the Scalex version has been out for over two years now long before Clarkeson and co started on about the new one.

Of course you have had a lot of interest on your clubs web site off of the back of the GT, most couldn't afford one or if they could didn't get on the waiting list, so I can see a huge influx of hi quality GT40 replica's hitting the street in the next year, am I right? By the way as a fellow GT40 lover, what is your opinion of the New GT?

GT

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I'm over 50, and can't remember anything before yesterday morning. But those cars look fabulous, and I can't imagine that any manufacturer could fail with models like that. Judging by the die-casts on sale at the local Model-Zone, even kids are infected with nostalgia these days. More power to them.
I like the Ford GT, but I prefer the original, and would like it even better if Ford had come up with something really imaginative.

Um. Happy Christmas, everybody.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Of course you have had a lot of interest on your clubs web site off of the back of the GT, most couldn't afford one or if they could didn't get on the waiting list, so I can see a huge influx of hi quality GT40 replica's hitting the street in the next year, am I right? By the way as a fellow GT40 lover, what is your opinion of the New GT?

GT40
I am not here to get into arguments about a car we obviously both 'love' I was so fedup that after all the hip and rumors both GT40, s were letdowns!!

Being over 50, I was wondering if my opinion counts or was it too generalised. That is in your formative years certain things influence you. Cars and the GT40 in my case. That is why I have to analyse my motives on my opinion on the Ford GT. I initially thought why??? have they run out of ideas? When a new car comes out I want it to give me the X factor. In other words if it an expensive supercar I want it to be different from anything on the road. Like the E type Jaguar was to me when I was 11 in 1962. The Ford GT40 in 1966.

However, things like the new Mini depresses me because the old mini was just what it says a small car. The same in some respects with the new Ford GT. It was to be retrospective but it's concept was nothing to do with the original. That of being an endurance racer and to win Lemans for Ford (since he could not buy Ferrari).

The flowing lines of the original 1965 car were interupted especially in the way the side intakes are done. When in the 1960,s the GT40MKII's were racing they were not called beautiful but brutal in looks. I think I still like the original 1964 car even if it was unstable. I also like the 1966 MKIIA. Of course the Gulf colour P1075 does make me feel so good!!!

I think if they wanted to make it a road car they should of updated the MKIII and based the design on that it would have been something different.

In summary what I feel is that companies should be looking forward not backwords and come up with creative solutions that are not only functional but beautiful as well.

Regards Allan

·
Registered
54 Posts
i would buy any brit classic..road or race..theres not many brit classics left on british roads..but lots of brit classic diecast on the shelves...and at way above slotcar prices too

·
Registered
284 Posts
Other than the resin kits I've bought a few parts/items from traffic and would agree with meshers that the service is excellent.

My problem is that having little contact with most slot car items, other than Scalex., I tend to have to ask a lot of questions before feeling confident to buy unseen and place an order. I have been pleased with advice given and all products ordered via them so know I can buy with confidence.

I am a little worried about their modellers thought. Have been waiting for over a year for their MG ZB to be finished, as it was put to one side to make "lingerie on wheels - Tri**ph has the bra car for the man you are". Things are getting better now as the range of MGBs and MGAs are progressing so hopefully it will be 2005 for the ZB.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts