SlotForum banner

Would you buy one of these?

2K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  uksqueezea 
#1 ·
I know this topic has been raised before but us Aussies are just getting a new selection of V8s and it seem the time is right to raise it again.

The question I wish to pose to people, especially internationals is, would you buy an Australian car? Does it matter to the consumer that a car is not a local product? Below I have included pictures of cars that I would like to see produced, with or without interiors.

The Holden Torana A9X

The Ford XC Cobra

The Holden HQ SS

The Ford XY GT

The SLR 5000

The Holden VC 1980 Bathurst Winner

The Valiant Charger 1971

Now before we get all the usual "what about this car" back chat, can we just answer the question at hand.

Would you buy a 1:32 slot car model of one of these cars?

I reckon they are all beautiful cars, worthy of at least a chance in the market and I guarantee if they made these avaliable, they would sell out.

Your thoughts, please.

Regards,

Dave

See less See more
#3 ·
Well to answer the question and nothing but the question..........

I don't know any of the irl cars (except maybe seeing one in the background of an episode of Neighbours!) but a couple of them look pretty good to me and I would buy them (Ford XC Cobra, Holden VC) even not knowing the real life counterpart.

Not sure how much familiarity with the original makes a difference. I have plenty of cars that I am not really clued up on the real life history etc. but they still appeal visually.

#4 ·
Yep, the first two look really mean.

I prefer a wide variety of cars from all corners of the globe - and I would rather have one of those Aussie bruts than yet another viper, subaru or pug 206.

Excellent pics, thanks for sharing them with us.

Cheers,

Mark

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Davenic actually poses three questions!
QUOTE Would you buy an Australian car?
Does it matter to the consumer that a car is not a local product?
Would you buy a 1:32 slot car model of one of these cars?
I know the third one is THE question, but the other two have a bearing on the answer to it and replies so far mention some contributing factors to the decision.

QUOTE a couple of them look pretty good to me and I would buy them (Ford XC Cobra, Holden VC) even not knowing the real life counterpart.
QUOTE Not sure how much familiarity with the original makes a difference I have plenty of cars that I am not really clued up on the real life history etc. but they still appeal visually

Although I am rarely quite as clinical in my buying decisions as my comments might suggest, here's my very personal 'take' on the factors that I THINK come into play(for me), even if largely subconsciously:

Are they 'local' products / am I 'familiar' with any of them
I don't know their history / do they carry International fame?
Are they made by a company whose other products I like/trust/admire?
Will I be able to race them with reasonable success?
Will I find people to race them against?
Will they make my friends envious? (!!!)
Do they LOOK GOOD?

I think, in the end, the LOOKS and perceived quality of the model manufacturer are probably what swings it for ME and I don't care much, if at all, if their origins are Australian or any other nationality. With my preferences being inclined towards racing as opposed to collecting and rivet counting (though those remain low level factors nonetheless), I am not bothered by no interior, nor to any great degree by see-through glass either.

I fully realise that , looked at together, some of my comments look quite contradictory in that I kind of discount interiors and glass, yet still plump for visual appeal as the primary attraction! Well, to ME, visual appeal on a slot race track has nothing to do with glass and interiors and everything to do with the proportions, the line, the fit of parts etc - beauty is in the eye of the beholder and no one needs to apologise for their personal 'take' on attractiveness!

In the end, a few of those cars DO look good enough to attract me although, without the opportunity to handle or look at them in the flesh, I would have to cautiously wait to see what others thought of the product before laying out ctual cash!

So after all that, a provisional yes!

(and I like the Valiant maybe best of all of those!
I LOVE its 'disgusting' livery)

#7 ·
All those cars look superb and I would buy all of them if they were slot cars and if i had the money. They look mean and boy racer-ish. They would make superb Scalextric Sport models or Fly cars because of the level of accuracy and detail both these companies put into their cars.

#8 ·
Thanks for your replies fella's. This is a topic on our Auslot site in Australia. As you guys have heard before we, like yourselves have cars dear to our hearts we would like to see produced.

We can wine all we want at home but in reality knowone that matters will ever hear us. So we have to get word out some how and what better way than to show pics of some of the cars.

All these cars are classic racecars from Australia. The VC Commodore is actually an Opel Commodore that was converted to carry a 5 litre V8 or inline 6. A later version of this car raced in the defunct world Group A Touring Car championship many years ago racing at Spa and other European tracks.

The Charger does look maore attractive in other liveries.

Allan Moffats website shows a few of the classic Fords raced in australia.

#9 ·
I must say, although the cars/models look good, the answer for me is 'NO'

At first I thought it was entirely because I was not familiar with the cars, which definitely is a factor. If I have seen and enjoyed a race (series) featuring a car, I am more likely to buy it. That is part of the answer.

I think the other part of the answer is that this is not my core style of car, I prefer GT and sport car looks; I do love some V8 and saloon cars, but generally I am more likely to be tempted by an unknown make if it is pointy and slopy!

Finally - yes I do really want the mad max intercepter!!!

#10 ·
No offence Dave, but you couldn't have picked an uglier Charger livery if you meant to!

Here are a couple of others, all available as 1:18 die cast.

To hear what it sounded like click here---->Sound clip of a Bathurst Charger

This was what lurked under the bonnet, although in this case, it was mine and it was stuffed into a ute
Had severe traction problems and a penchant for blowing diffs
Those 45dcoe Webers were a tad temperamental too....

Cheers

Steve

#12 ·
QUOTE No offence Dave, but you couldn't have picked an uglier Charger livery if you meant to!

Sorry about the ugly livery on the Charger, guys!!!!

But my main aim was to show the shapes and looks of the cars.
Hopefully people will see these cars as a good cross section of our car industry and make people realise (hello manufacturers) that Australian cars have huge appeal overseas.

The Mad Max Interceptor would make a great limited edition a la the Starsky & Hutch set. And this car is reconised world wide - especially the US.

We are just hoping someone with some pull in the slot car industry will see these cars and realise the huge potential our cars have.

And as I have said before, if they make them well, they will sell.

Regards,

Dave

#15 ·
The Valiant Charger was touted as the vehicle Australia was going to use to enter the space race. They were going to attempt to weld 18 of them bumper to bumper onto the side of an old space shuttle and have some young Italians from Melbourne rev the clappers out of them for thrust.

Just in case anyone was interested. The concept of the Scalextric V8 began back in late 1999 as the next project after the ASRCC Club Car. Its nice to see some pure Australian content, no matter what the car.

But line up behind me if they ever do a HDT A9X.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.