SlotForum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
Can any one help me out I am a bit confused. Citroen produced the new c4 in the wrc colours and then I am sure I saw pictures of it being tested. Then all of a sudden they say they wont compete next year. Is that not a big waste of money to start the project of a new car then just scrap it. And furthermore who would loeb drive for. There wont be many teams if the big 2 drop out.

Thanks it66

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
C4 has been developed and begun testing - it started its development a long time before the parent company decided to pull the WRC plug. Note the cost of delvepment is big but so is the cost of running a WRC programme and sometimes you've got to be brave and write off large investments.

For the drivers then there will be some big names avail:
Loeb, Gronholm and Martin. Duval is a rising name but needs to be consistent this year if he is going to secure a drive next year.

I expect Mitsubushi to snaffle at least one of the above big names for next year and maybe Ford if one or both of their current drivers don't deliver. Also Hyundai are meant to be returning and rumours are Suzuki might step up to the WRC mark.

In any case it does not look like McRae will be getting a seat (he asked for £6m from Prodrive when they discussed a potential seat for this year) unless he significanlty drops his wage demands (ie free) and be interesting to see if Burns returns.

Matt

G

·
Hi there,
Can any one help me out I am a bit confused. Citroen produced the new c4 in the wrc colours and then I am sure I saw pictures of it being tested. Then all of a sudden they say they wont compete next year. Is that not a big waste of money to start the project of a new car then just scrap it. And furthermore who would loeb drive for. There wont be many teams if the big 2 drop out.

I think i heard last year that Citroen and Peugeot were not going to compete in this years WRC, however i watched a program a weeks ago on the t.v about this years WRC, and Citroen and Peugeot are still there, and they did compete in the Monte Carlo, where Citroen came 1st and second, so it looks like there in it for this year at least ! what will happen in 2006 is anyone's quess !

Geoff

·
Registered
514 Posts
Surely it is a loss for the WRC when Citroen and Peugeot withdraw after this season, but teams coming and going is all part of the game.
With both Skoda and Mitsubishi participating in every round this year, and the prospect of Renault and Suzuki entering in the future, there should be enough teams to make it exciting.

André

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks mtucker666 for the info. Dont know if you have heared anything about this but mcrae want to enter a dakar championship with nissan. I guess it will be like the le mans series but over deserts rather than round race tracks.

·
Registered
160 Posts
mcrae has already competed in 2 dakar rallies with nissan, where he has managed to score 4 stage wins. but he carshed out this year while leading. have a look at www.dakar.com for more info on it.
the WRC who knows wots going to happen, i guess they will probably start talking bout cutting costs so independent teams can much ex-factory cars.

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
David Richards tried to turn WRC into a TV friendly sport and has killed it. Monte Carlo had some 35 entires and uses the same road about 17 times. This is not rallying.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts