SlotForum banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Rich Dumas
4,057 Posts
According to Viper Scale Racing the stock Mega G+ traction magnets are level 42s. You could try level 52s. To measure the distance from the bottom of the chassis to the bottom of the magnet just use the opposite end of the calipers from the jaws. The HOCOC spec. is 0.022 inches minimum.
My home made downforce scale was patterned on the ones that my 1/32nd club used when we still raced cars with traction magnets. I had everything on hand except for the steel bar that I got from my local hardware store. I assembled it during a tropical storm listening to gusts of wind and the sounds of trees falling into my back yard. The lights flickered a few times, but never went out completely. The people in the next town were not so lucky.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
That's interesting, Rich. Everything else I've ever read says the MG+ stock magnets are level 30, and that includes BRS Hobbies website where they're selling the Viper Level 42. Mine came from HCS and I think Terry has something posted somewhere where he says stock is Level 30 also. Probably never know for sure and with all that's going on in the world possible they made a running change too. Both cars are super now and a ton of fun to drive. Enough magnet to drive it fast but not enough that you can snooze. +1 on tropical storms. We're about 30 miles from TX coast, might have seen one or 2 of them. Gotta find some way to pass the time. Sometimes something that you can do off generator power ha!

·
Rich Dumas
4,057 Posts
I looked at the VSR site again and the level 42 magnets are listed as direct factory replacements, meaning that they are the same size, but they are stronger.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Wasn't quite sure where to post this so figured this was as good as any. Has anyone made slot motors with cylindrical brushes? That was the last big thing with brushed RC motors. Broke in fast, less arcing and less maintenance. I'd have to go dig one up to verify but as I recall they were set in a 45 or 60 deg V.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts