Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
redstar
1,571 Posts
Hi, here's one of my two 1967 Wrenn sets. It has a Vanwall & Maserati 250 in 1/52 scale. These were the last 2 cars Wrenn made before they stopped production in 1967. The cars are unusual because they must be push started !
These had the last unique motors Wrenn made.

Because the motors were so wide they could only use the Vanwall & Maserati bodies. These cars had regular pickup brushes like their big brothers. The box is very thin & much bigger than the earlier sets. I included some photos of the instructions & order form dated 1967 - you don't see these sets too often!

Thanks,
Bernard

·
Administrator
9,651 Posts
Amazing as usual Bernard. And another one I've never heard of!

Are these DC motors also? And are you sure about the push start? Or are they just old... That seems very odd for a slot-car set, although some of the two-pole toy motors had to be push-started, but I can't imagine that on a slot car... Is it a three pole motor, or something even funkier?

Keep 'em coming!

Don

·
redstar
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi don,its a dc motor.it says on the front of the box & in the instructions that is push start.according to the instructions you pushed down on the controller while you placed 1 finger on the front & 1 on the rear of the car,you then pushed it forward .presto 1967 technology !
you can see how the bottom mold was changed,thanks,bernard

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I am sure I have seen, albeit only in a magazine , another motor in Wrenn cars. As I recall,it looked like a tiny version of the current slimline motor. Of course, the original Wrenn motor was a real Heath Robinson affair with "reeds" that struck a serrated drum. It actually worked quite well and by moving the track contacts you could run four cars on a two-lane set. There was also a little lever under the back of the cars-you can see the slot for it on the Vanwall in the 'photos- I can't remember what that was for ...Great,evocative, pics-thanks for posting them!
TED....

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
When I was still living in Frogland a century ago, I had a Wrenn set that had a Vanwall and a Ferrari with long DC tin can motors of hexagonal section. These cars were really fast and handled great. The one shown by Bernard is yet another (likely later) version...
I LOVED the Wrenn 152 sets and cars, even the ones with the ratchet motor. They were a hoot to drive and worked really well.

·
Registered
576 Posts
QUOTE (SAMPSON @ 6 Dec 2011, 00:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>according to the instructions you pushed down on the controller while you placed 1 finger on the front & 1 on the rear of the car,you then pushed it forward
Seems like an implausible lousy and inferior motor construction, especially for a slot racing car. What were the brothers Wrenn thinking when this doofus design was choosen for power source in these cars? No wonder this was their last gasp before they went out of the slot racing business.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I agree Chapman , the motor setup is rather grimm !!! Such a poorly designed , and manufactured motor !!!! PS -- hope you are keeping well ! Zig

·
Registered
2 Posts
QUOTE (cube @ 5 Aug 2011, 16:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just picked up a 152 set at a bootfair, not exactly mint but it's possible a lot of scrubbing may get it mobile! does anyone know where I can get get hold of any spares for these cars? Not delved too deep yet but at first glance I'm going to at least need a couple of "collectors" (which is what the instruction booklet tells me are the bits equivalent to a Scalextric braid which make contact with the track). Both the cars (looks like two Ferraris rather than a Ferrari and a Cooper) look to be missing windscreens too.

Apart from that if Plebys works on the rusty track I could be in business, possibly, got one of the motors to turn over so far anyway...

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have been racing the AC buzzer and the DC hexagonal cars for nearly 50 years.
We were fortunate that we purchase a few spare hex. motors and put them in the buzzer cars.
Question. 1. Is there a source of the hexagon motors or is there any there any suitable alternative?
2. Is there anyone out the who still races these cars?
Regards B

1 - 9 of 9 Posts