SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Administrator
10,131 Posts
With thanks to BigBird for returning a copy of the DVD I did for Gaydon 2011, and thanks to K3ith for coming up with this mod.

The video is my interpretation to get a solution that is unoticeable and can be used plug and play like a normal track piece.

Apologies for the rather rough editing I had to do to try and get it down to 20 minutes for the time slot allocated at Gaydon

So with all that said, here is the DVD to share with all the world not just those that got a copy at Gaydon.

·
Prof I T
11,162 Posts
hi Dave
in response to your pm no i have not done this mod to any of my lc sections.

After seeing them at Gaydon last year i decided the only place they would benifit a layout was if you had a dual pitlane and you were using xlc within that pitlane.

Using a pitlane speed limiter means that the mod is a necessatity other wise the pitlane speed limit could not be applied..

My own layout only has 4 xlc and one modded clc wich has been adapted to run as i pit entry..

Best wishes on your xlc modding,one thing to remember is that the point of the flipper will need insulating otherwise you will get a short..

Popular method seams to be a bit of insulation tape but over time this will break through and again give a short..

If the flipper is just plated it maybe good just to dremmel a small bit of to give a permanent fix but i have not filed a flipper to find out if it is plated, from the feel of the weight they do feel like solid steel.??

·
Administrator
10,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dave, if you are asking are all the connections doubled up so the original connections are still made and the relay is in parallel then the answer is yes.

I've done a couple of dozen of these so if you run into difficulty 'cos I've cut too much out of the video let me know

·
Premium Member
2,001 Posts
Yes Colin I just wanted to double check that for example both yellows went to pin x and both red went to pin y............... one other thing on Keiths original thread or it may have been an update to the original, he insulates the flipper by attaching pin stripping tape to the inside of the rail, do both rails need to be taped or if its just one which one?

Cheers, Dave

·
Prof I T
11,162 Posts
hi
pretty sure you need to insulate both flipper's.

·
Administrator
10,131 Posts
I played between insulating the nose of the flipper and pinstriping the inside of the rails. The flipper isn't very straight and stable and when I used pinstriping (which wasn't full rail height) the flipper could sometimes still touch the rail. Wrapped around the nose was OK but if you did it full height there was a danger of it touching the bottom of the slot and causing drag stopping the changer moving fast enough.

Yes yellow from the solenoid and yellow from the sensor went to the same pin etc

·
Administrator
10,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pin stripe both rails, try and get stuff that is full slot height. I wouldn't do the flipper again if I had a choice.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'n unsure if I should try to do this mod, I have dual pitlane and some have problem with cars being stuck on the flippers if the fuel before the xlc, but does this work good?

·
Registered
268 Posts
ok, I think I'll try then! I have 5 xlc so could start with one:) but I can't find the relays anywhere...? someone who can help mw with a link to a shop?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts