SlotForum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently received in a collection I bought multiple 1960's 'blob' bodies that have yellowed with age.

Is this a chemical reaction with age? Can they be cleaned? Body not an issue as I can paint the top, but the screens would be nice to be clear.

Any Ideas and/or experiences with this?

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
Thanks Dennis - will try that next. Found a thread on here where Bigtone suggested soaking in bleach - which is where 2 of them are now....

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
just watch out for too much heat in the sunlight, the results would be predictable! I think I have also used overnight in ammonia cleaner in a sealed container, with mixed results.

·
Gator Bob
876 Posts
Hello Dennis!
thumbsup.gif

------

Moldy yellow bodies - Here is what I've done and what I've read.

Done:

- Cleaned with heavy duty citrus based because they sure can have that smell we have learned to love **
ermm.gif
Starter anyway.

- Soaking sponge bath in STRONG chlorine, like almost straight. (stand back) works pretty good, smell almost gone. Depending on how yellow/brown there is a very noticeable clarity returns. Not back to crystal clear by any means.

Read:

- Sunlight

- Here's one,
question.gif
take a glass loaf bake pan, fill it 1/2 way with Hydrogen Peroxide and place in strong uv A,B and C rays.
wacko.png

Direct sunlight works and is a lot cheaper than a bunch of lamps and fixtures
lmfao.gif

Supposed Result from reliable source - Near Crystal Clear.
wub.png

** cellulose acetate butyrate - Butyric acid. Spoiled butter smell. Puke, especially baby puke. Butyric acid is common in butter, only it is combined with glycerol in triglycerides. When it decomposes, the butyric acid is released

·
Registered
8 Posts
Read:

- Sunlight

- Here's one,
question.gif
take a glass loaf bake pan, fill it 1/2 way with Hydrogen Peroxide and place in strong uv A,B and C rays.
wacko.png

Direct sunlight works and is a lot cheaper than a bunch of lamps and fixtures
lmfao.gif
Would you totally sink the body in the peroxide, or support the body somehow so it doesnt get wet and let the fumes do the work?

I have a yellowed DuBro? Lola GT and a Maser body here somewhere that are pretty yellowed out, so much I was going to give up on them.

Anyways, my son came over today to take me to the local gym for my knee issues. He was reading this over my shoulder, and he told me to take both the bodies

and put them in a tanning bed for half an hour or so while we work out and see if they clear up. Wonder if it would work?

ken

·
Registered
713 Posts
Never tried, but using UV sounds intresting. Will have a try, afer all there are lots of free UV here in Spain! By he way, some vac bodies have fine detail (grids, etc) that is only on the inside. It will be lost if the body is painted form the outside.

Cheers,

Eduardo

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
SO had 2 of the less desirable bodies in bleach overnight.

To be honest - can see a 15% improvement - but not clear by any means. So as this bleach was 'pine scented'
smile.png
- it is obviously not that strong - so will get stronger make and try.

Eduardo - I know I will lose some detail painting on the outside - However there are a few superb bodies with formed rounded sides and the Griffo looks like it has moulded on underbelly at front at rear. So I definitely want to get a few to work.... they really make what is available currently look obsolete. Thus may need to be painted on outside....

keep on coming with the suggestions please
smile.png

·
Gator Bob
876 Posts
Would you totally sink the body in the peroxide, or support the body somehow so it doesnt get wet and let the fumes do the work?

I have a yellowed DuBro? Lola GT and a Maser body here somewhere that are pretty yellowed out, so much I was going to give up on them.

Anyways, my son came over today to take me to the local gym for my knee issues. He was reading this over my shoulder, and he told me to take both the bodies

and put them in a tanning bed for half an hour or so while we work out and see if they clear up. Wonder if it would work?

ken
Body Submerged in peroxide, in strong sun.

Tanning bulbs do produce uvA and B ... that might work.

IIRC household chlorine bleach is ~ 10%. I used ~20% concentrated chlorine which is for swimming pools and water purification. I diluted that, prob to about 15%.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Anthony, is the "Griffo" you mention the one in the other string with all the pics? And is it 1/32? If so, I am thinking it is the vintage "Detail Models" body from the 60's, and it is extremely rare. What caused me to look again was your saying it seems to have molded in pans. These bodies were female molded, and came totally "enclosed", like an egg if you will. Then the hobbyist would cut away the unhelpful portion in order to mount and finish. Relative to the discussion above, when female molded (or, "blow-molded"), all the detail ends up on the OUTSIDE! Thus, you would want to paint the outside on these rare shells. By the way, I am pretty sure the Lola t70 next to your shell in the pic is also the Detail Models version.

Steve

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Steve = yes that is the one in those pics. The lola has really bent under sides - which would have to be straightened - I assume I can do that in warm water of with sides warmed with a hair dryer? There are actually 3of the T70's in this condition. The other bodies that came that I really like is a Select Chappy 2D Sebring and a Lancer Indy turbine. SO really want to sort the yellowing out on 'less' desirable bodies first. Thanks of the ;outside; info on the Iso.

Car Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Different product , but I restored an ancient Amiga computer that had very yellowed keys , used a cream concentrated hair bleach and left outside on a sunny afternoon .

Worked a treat , however I realise it's a different material and make no guarantees !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts