SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
With winter approaching, I thought it was time to think about renovating the loft, so I can put a larger track in

I've been reading a lot of the other posts to pick up tips.

Here's a couple of pictures of the old track just before I finally dismantled it:

The large black thing in the front left corner, is one of the water tanks, both tanks will now be going, as the boiler is hopefully being replaced thursday.

Behind the track is quite a bit of empty space - well it is now that I've moved all of the boxes out, into the bedrooms (am not v. popular having done that!)

The horizontal beams will be removed soon, and replaced by vertical poles in the middle to help generate space.

At this stage I'm still planning how to use the space, from what I can work out I think the potential length will be about 9m (27ft) and the possible width is 1.5m to 2m on each side of the loft.

I'm wondering if running a track all the way around, would be unmanageable, and am I better of focussing on one end/side of the loft?

I will mainly be running SSD cars, lots of pacers, and sometimes higher-power motor analogue cars, would like to be able to stretch their legs given a larger track.

Other decisions are, how many electrical sockets to put in, and what sort of table/surface do I want set-up.
I would like to be able to display my cars too, have a few of the sora showcases.

Any comments/suggestions welcome.....

·
Greg Gaub
15,347 Posts
If I were to do something like that, I would make a long track along one side. Make it a few feet wide so that you can still reach the back easily, and then make one full length straight at the back, with all the technical and "driving" stuff in front. The Coffin is a great example of such a track.

·
Mike
629 Posts
My last neigbour removed the cross pieces in his roof, the new people have had to have a steel frame put in as the house was bowing out at the top of the wall and pulling the centre of the roof down, so please take advice before cutting anything out
Mike

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi thanks for the comments so far, particularly the concern about the loft.

I've got my friendly local builder in who's doing this.

Sorry my explanation wasn't technically correct, what I was trying to highlight is the fact all though I'm losing the horziontal beams, there will be some vertical posts that will be in the middle, so it won't be completely open plan area.

Anyway back to the track, I've been looking at the "coffin" that looks like a great idea, and obviously, the lid is also thought provoking. as maybe a good way of keeping the dust off.....

·
WRP World Champ 2015/2016
4,289 Posts
Make sure the felting is sound before adding the insulation - major P.I.T.A. to get water weeping gently into the insulation layer (he says, from bitter experience!)

Another thing to take very seriously is the flooring - I would consider putting noggins from joist to joist, particularly around the areas of the walls below, as cracked/shifting plaster does not go down well with the good lady of the household (see brackets above!).

Further to Mr F's comments, an L-shape (one long and one short side) or a U-shape will give you lots of track without hemming you in too much.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm am not popular - the whole house now seems to be very dusty.

Good progress being made - photos attached below.

I'm slowly wading my way through 18 pages of the "loft" search in track and scenery, I've done 3 pages of topics so far!

2 questions I would like help on:

1. heating - any advice on this, I'm thinking of two radiators each side of the loft, that means 2 under the table for the track.
The table would be at 77cm height, the radiators are 45cm, is this a good/bad idea in terms of heat problems for the track??

2. track table - am thinking an L shape, with a 9m straight, I can't work out if that's too long as straight to see the end properly if you're standing closer to the larger part of the L.
Track table will 9m x 1.5m along the side so means it will come right up to the central pillars, will the pillars get annoying as they potentially restrict my view at certain points??

For the larger piece of the L, I'm thinking of leaving a gap between that and the end wall, so I can crawl underneath and reach the other side if required. (I haven't decided on the size of this piece yet, as it can be larger if I take this approach.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.